Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

What Digital TV converter box to buy or avoid ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)

I got my $40 coupon today ,

so what is the box to buy and what are the ones to avoid ?

I have more than 10 over the air channels now so the box will probably be used all the time as I do not have cable or direct TV

I would like to be able to use my old video tape recorder if possible,

So what did you buy and how did you like it ?

Thanks

Rally
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:33 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
i would avoid....

digitalstream

i would look at insignia and zenith.

goalie-parents have both digitalstream and insignia and the insignia is much easier to use, better remote, better features and better reception (that's the big difference in the boxes as some get some channels and others do not get the same channels). i wanted goalie-parents to get the insignia and zenith (as i had read that it was a good box) but the store was out so they got the digitalstream instead. it works just not as good as the insignia.

also, if you get consumer reports (or know someone who does), the current issue has ratings.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
Here is the consumer reports page
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/e...es-ratings.htm

but its just a list and not much real information ,

Still confused !

Rally

Last edited by rally; Jan 27, 2009 at 11:00 am
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You've got plenty of time to make up your mind. The conversion has been postponed. Again.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
According to that link, the US conversion has been delayed by 4 months. I wonder if 4 months will make that much of a difference? If people aren't ready for DTV now, it's probably because they haven't bought a new TV yet. Given the way things are going economically, I can't see things changing much in 4 months.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RCyyz
According to that link, the US conversion has been delayed by 4 months. I wonder if 4 months will make that much of a difference? If people aren't ready for DTV now, it's probably because they haven't bought a new TV yet. Given the way things are going economically, I can't see things changing much in 4 months.
The problem now is that funding for the converter box coupons has dried up. Meaning those who have waited the transition out, who law makers say are mostly low income people, who would need the coupons the most, would be without TV when the switch occurs.

Personally, I saw throw the switch already.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:00 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I used the Consumer Reports report and selected the Tivax box that received one of the higher ratings. I ordered and received it last October and while I don't use it very much, I am very happy with the picture quality and features.

I was able to hook this up with my VCR which has a Line In input.

Antenna --> Box --> VCR --> TV.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
FlyinHawaiian, does the Tivax allow you to timer record with the VCR?
Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
You've got plenty of time to make up your mind. The conversion has been postponed. Again.
If you have coupons, you have less than 90 days.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by adambadam
The problem now is that funding for the converter box coupons has dried up. Meaning those who have waited the transition out, who law makers say are mostly low income people, who would need the coupons the most, would be without TV when the switch occurs.

Personally, I saw throw the switch already.
If you get on the waiting list now, you still have a good chance of getting coupons. According to this page, roughly 40% of coupons expire unused (those funds are returned to the pool and reissued as new coupons). There are currently about 2.5 million coupons wait listed, and 11.7 million active coupons (not yet used or expired). Based on the expiration rate so far, we can expect around 4.5 million of the existing coupons to expire, and be reissued, and 1.8 million of those to in turn expire and be reissued.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 1:30 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by linsj
FlyinHawaiian, does the Tivax allow you to timer record with the VCR?
Yes, it does, in the way I have it connected. Do note that you will need to have the Tivax box turned on and tuned to the station you wish to record. This config will also only allow you to timer record on a single channel. Finally, the Tivax has a setting that auto powers off after a certain period of inactivity, so that will need to be disabled. Not sure if this is standard on digital converter boxes.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

are there digital video tape recorders using the old stylr VCR tapes we have always used ?

and do they convert it to analog so it can play in the older 13 inch TVs that have built in VCRs ?

Rally
Old Jan 27, 2009, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
The Dish Network TR-40 CRA has been getting good reviews as best to use with a VCR.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 3:23 pm

Programs: WN RR
Originally Posted by sbm12
FWIW, that story says the delay passed in the Senate, but it hasn't been passed in the House yet.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
For plain over-the-air viewing (no DVR/VCR hookup, etc), I have had excellent results from the APEX box sold at Best Buy. They often have it on sale for $49.99, bringing the cost down to $10 with the coupon. The remote is easy to use (the buttons are not microscopically-small, as they are on some units).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.