Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Do any FTers use FileDropper (SmashingApps 250Gb free file hosting)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do any FTers use FileDropper (SmashingApps 250Gb free file hosting)?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Question Do any FTers use FileDropper (SmashingApps 250Gb free file hosting)?

That seems like a LOT of online storage!

I just found this free offer online. Does anyone know of this 'filedropper' service?
“smashingapps”

I couldn't find any reference to smashingapps in a search of the forum.
I figure online storage (with the free offer or not) is likely to be more useful to readers of this forum, particularly.

So what do you think of filedropper and this 250Gb 'free if you promise to go green' offer?

Here's the storage offer info and link. Please let me know if you think it's worthwhile:
Make A Promise To Go Green And Get 250 GB Free File Hosting
SmashingApps and FileDropper are teaming up to do their part for the environment. Average American consumes more than 700 pounds of paper per year, highest compared to anywhere else in the world...

SmashingApps believes that we can change that by helping people save and share their documents electronically instead of printing them out each time. We do not want you to print so much so we are offering 250 GB file hosting accounts for free at FileDropper...

All you have to do to get your free 250 GB file hosting accounts is to make a pledge about going green. When doing your pledge please post a link to this post. You can make a pledge in any of the following ways…

...You can make your promise anyway you like as long as we can verify it.

...The last date to create your free account will be Friday, January 30, 2009.
(Note I'm just wanting opinions of the service. Never heard of it before.
I'll sign up and give you my own feedback, too. Anyone else using it already?)

My promise, to qualify: 'I promise to share files electronically and not print, as much as possible. Will you?'
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Note that this account is seemingly a 'premium' one. I'll elt you know how it deals with uploads. Thinking about how well it might do online backups.

Has anyone had experience doing an online backup of an XP-based netbook?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
there is a code that needs to be entered so its not really free.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trekkie
there is a code that needs to be entered so its not really free.
That code, outlined on the page of the offer, is smashingapps.
With the code you can set up the account instantly.
The offer is based on linking to a page where you promise to act in a more environmentally-friendly way (nice sentiment). Thus it's possible that the account, opened with the smashingapps code, could be closed if you've not posted a link to such a promise. On a blog, here, social networking site, whatever.

Interesting experiment.

I know it would take a very long time to upload 250Gb, but I really like the offer.

Thus, I'm still interested to know if anyone here seriously/heavily uses some kind of online storage. Asus eee pcs come with some now and I suppose a few FTers use storage for photos or google docs etc.

I figure it could be really useful when travelling, as long as you have a decent online connection speed. Uploading a week or a month's photos ffrom a trip, in RAW or jpg form without the restrictions of some photo host sites.

Your thoughts?
Old Jan 23, 2009, 2:53 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I use JungleDisk and Carbonite as online backups. I use both, just to be safe

Carbonite uses its own servers, whereas JungleDisk uses Amazon S3.

Both are great for backup, and both support incremental backups. Once you've installed, you just point at the directories you want backing up, and that's it. It just does its stuff silently. Uploads tend to be quite slow, and it took a couple of days to backup everything (about 30GB). Downloads tend to be a bit faster.

So, if disaster were to strike, and you needed all your data immediately, then I don't think either of these services would be suitable unless you also had a more immediate way of restoring (from a USB drive or something). However, if you've just backed up you songs and pictures, and don't really care how long it takes to restore, then both these services are great.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Jan 23, 2009, 6:04 am

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
I signed up...

Looks like there is a 5gb upload limit per file and seems to allow only one file upload at a time. I'd say it's more of a file sharing site than a data backup site.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAVirgin
I signed up...

Looks like there is a 5gb upload limit per file and seems to allow only one file upload at a time. I'd say it's more of a file sharing site than a data backup site.
You're right, that makes it harder for backups but I'm unlikely to have single files >5Gb.

I'll just have to give it a try.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 6:39 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I stopped using these things after multiple companies kept starting up and then going belly up.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 6:46 pm

Programs: USAirways, SPG gold, Marriott Silver
I have been making a big effort to reduce printing. I "recycle" as much paper already printed on one side as I can. It's great when I forget to draw a line across the junk page and people don't grasp the concept of turning the paper over.
* I promise to send documents online rather than printing them. Do you?
* I promise to buy recycled paper if printing is really necessary. Do you?
* I promise to avoid miss-printing and if happens I will keep that pages for rough drafts, Do you?
* I promise to start using double sided printing. Do you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.