Battery not charging on Acer Aspire One 6 cell

Subscribe
Well, I finally took this one off line power to do some tests in preparation for traveling with this. I wanted to check out my wireless broadband. Put on standby, and it was dead a few hours later. Now I have it plugged in, and I can see on the power monitor that it says it is charging (and can detect the presence of the battery- and also detect when it is out).

It is pegged on 0% (more than half an hour now), and the computer shuts off immediately, consistent with a 0% battery.

Any way to tell whether the battery or the charging system is at fault, lacking another battery?

Also, does anyone have experience with BuyNow.com for returns outside of 14 days (been more like 21 now- yeah, I know I should have checked earlier). They have it at my local MicroCenter for the same price, so I'm going to get one there.

Cheers.
Good Acer Customer Service
Just to follow up my own thread (yeah, why didn't I call before posting )

In addition to emailing BuyNow.com I called Acer tech support. Long time on hold, but they're simply going to send a new battery and charger by FedEx. No further questions asked. Very cool. I know the charger/adapter works...I just hope the problem is the battery.

Cheers.
Was it the battery?
Quote: Was it the battery?
Yes. I ended up buying a new one in person from MicroCenter and swapping batteries. New battery worked in old unit. Old battery failed in new unit. I just returned the bad battery and unit to BuyNow and kept the one from MicroCenter. Battery life is outrageously good.

Cheers.
He fellow Aspire One owners. I have had the same problem and emailed Acer. You need to upgrade your BIOS settings and it will be fixed. www.acer.com.au/helpdesk

This was acers response:

Dear customer,

Recently it was identified that a small number customers were experiencing a problem with the battery where it would not hold a reasonable amount of charge. We have released an update that should be applied to your computer to resolve this issue. Please complete the processes below and should you have any problems please do not hesitate to contact Acer support on 1300 365 100 or log a service request online at www.acer.com.au/helpdesk.

Thank you, Acer Support

THey also sent me a word doc with the process and a zip file with the BIOS update. I can not upload the up on these forums but if you go to acer they should respond within 1 hr. I sent my request at 1700hrs on a Sturday afternoon and got a response within 40 mins.

Cheers

D
Just a little more information on the Acer Aspire One Battery not charging issue:

BIOS revision 3309 (and later) has a fix for battery charging particularly the 6-cell batteries, however if you have the latest BIOS and your battery still isn't charging a good solution is to power down the computer, remove the battery and unplug the AC power cable then push and hold the power button for a whole 2 minutes (nothing will happen, we're trying to completely drain all residual voltage from the mainboard to reset it), then release the power button, install the battery and power up the computer, it should now recognize the battery and begin a normal charge cycle.

I have read other posts that claim to hold the power button in for 1 minute which I tried and it did not work, you must hold it in for the whole 2 minutes.
Aspire One Battery Problem
Acer Aspire one – battery not charging.
Solution: Update the bios as follows:
1. Go to www.support.acer.com
2. Click on Driver & Downloads
3. Select Product Family “Netbook”
4. Select Product Line Aspire One
5. Select your Product Model i.e.: AOA150 (located after MFG.Date:xxxx AOA 150 – xxxx)
6. Click on the BIOS tab below
7. Download the bios to a blank USB flash card.
8. Turn off your computer
9. Insert the USB flash card (containing the bios) into your Aspire One.
10. Hold down the FN key and the Esc Key at the same and turn on the computer.
11. Wait until the Power button starts flashing before letting go of the keys.
12. Allow the computer to complete its task (5 or more minutes).
13. Charge the computer for 5 hours and your computer should be working properly.
BIOS 3310!
With the new 3310 Bios no need to boot from a USB Drive, follow the instructions above to get to the BIOS page, then all you need to do is the following:

1.Connect AC power
2.Clik InsydeFlash
3.Click "sure" to start flash BIOS.

Your PC will restart, and you'll be charging with a new BIOS in play.
Thank you!!!
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!

I was desperate with this issue on my Acer One immediately after the purchase and almost going to buy new battery. After BIOS update, battery is charging and working as a charm.

Thanks again.
THANKS SO MUCH!
I was really annoyed that I couldn't use my Netbook without the AC connected. This solved the problem and now I can actually see that the battery is charging!
Made my day
Pl's halp !!!!
I tried all
I just recieved my acer aspire one AO751h-1237 with a 6 cell battery.
installed the new bios downloaded from acer web....
did all and still can't charge the battery. I can work only with AC!
Is it a must to install the bios from a flush?
can you make my day also, I have problr\ems with my acer aspire one AO751h 11.6" battery, can't charge it.
I did all is in this threads
THANKS
Quote: Just a little more information on the Acer Aspire One Battery not charging issue:

BIOS revision 3309 (and later) has a fix for battery charging particularly the 6-cell batteries, however if you have the latest BIOS and your battery still isn't charging a good solution is to power down the computer, remove the battery and unplug the AC power cable then push and hold the power button for a whole 2 minutes (nothing will happen, we're trying to completely drain all residual voltage from the mainboard to reset it), then release the power button, install the battery and power up the computer, it should now recognize the battery and begin a normal charge cycle.

I have read other posts that claim to hold the power button in for 1 minute which I tried and it did not work, you must hold it in for the whole 2 minutes.
THANK YOU!, THANK YOU!, THANK YOU! I tried all of the other "remedies" regarding reactivating the battery and none worked, EXCEPT your solution! You just saved me a visit to my local PC repair store and possibly saved me mucho money in repair services and buying another battery.

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your wisdom. Have a great day! I'm off to North Carolina with my newly-charged Acer. Yippee!!
Thank You from Italy. It works very well. Thanks.
Following your formum, fixed my frustrations!
I was looking for a site that carried a replacement for the battery in my ACER 150. While "googling" I came accross this forum and followed the suggestions to the solution! Thank you and I look forward to coming back, soon!