Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another travel router question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2012, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Another travel router question

I've read through a large number of threads on travel routers, but haven't found clear answers to which travel routers meet this criteria:

- takes wifi or wired as input
- outputs wifi to multiple devices
- can be configured using an ipad or phone, does not need a laptop
- allows login to networks secured with a login screen or WPA, WPA2, etc.
- is currently available at a relatively inexpensive price

I don't need the ability to share a 3G connection.

Whether a device can be configured with something other than a laptop seems unclear in some cases. Newegg has devices for which some say yes and some say no (perhaps it depends on the firmware version), which is not very helpful.

Here are two recent popular threads that don't answer the question (unless I've missed something), just to show I searched: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...tel-rooms.html and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...uter-ipad.html
Old Sep 7, 2012, 11:56 am
uk1
Suspended

I use this and it is usable out of the box without any config with your ipad. Other equipment can also log in. This however will be your problem. You will be providing anyone within range a free wifi spot unless you config it.

The tip is to set it up with the same id and password that you use at home so your ipad automatically logs in when at home or in the hotel. Also be aware that some hotels charge for each thing connected and through it logged into the hotel system.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

That appears to require a wired connection for configuration, as you suggest. I'm concerned that I may need to reboot or reset the router and then wouldn't be able to reconfigure it or switch it to bridge mode (the mode needed to rebroadcast a wifi signal). Or can it be configured after a reset using just an ipad or phone?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
All routers I've seen will let you connect to the "LAN" side regardless of whether you have a "WAN" (Internet) connection.

So if you are connecting to a wired Internet connection at a hotel there should never be any reconfiguration required. If you're connecting to a wireless connection you would just log into the router from your phone / tablet, make the necessary changes to the WAN-side SSID, etc. and it will connect.

You should always be avoiding bridged mode by the way if the hotel limits the number of devices (lots of places have a limit of one per room or per charge) as each device's MAC address will be seen making the request and will have to be registered separately. Using a routed connection means the only MAC address seen will be the router's.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

The manual for the router mentioned in the prior post instructs users to use a wired connection to configure the router. I've seen numerous claims that various routers won't let you configure wirelessly, which would rule out ipads, phones, etc.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The ASUS WL-330GE definitely lets you configure the device over Wifi (both when new, as well as reconfiguring), however they are end-of-line so you'll probably have trouble finding one.

I believe the replacement models (WL-330N and WL-330N3G) are the same, but haven't used one myself. These normally go for around $50, but NewEgg and others occasionally have them as low as $20 after rebate (they currently have the WL-330N for $40 after a $10 rebate).

As others have stated, some of the TP-Link devices do NOT allow at least initial configuration over Wifi, so they aren't a good option in this case.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

The manual for the WL-330N, includes a configuration section in which it list as an initial step connecting the WL-330N to your computer by an ethernet cable.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 5:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, Star Gold, KLM Gold
The WL-330N3G definitely lets you configure by wifi. I use it with my ipad all the time.

(It's not the most intuitive of configuration setups, but it works).
Old Sep 14, 2012, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Does it let you do initial (out of the box and after reset) configuration by wifi?

The configuration section of the wl-330ng and wl-300n manuals are the same. I wonder why so many manuals say you should configure with a computer when it's not required.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
If you're packing an iPad then you're best to use the AirPort Express. It was designed with this in mind and now has an apple designed iPad/iPhone app for configuration. It also can stream music from your PC or iPhone/iPAd to speakers! I love mine.

It's $99. Used ones aren't a bad idea, and only cost $50, but just be careful because some older ones don't work with the iPad app. Mine is 5 years old and won't.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Will the AirPort Express take hotel wifi and NAT it so you can connect multiple devices behind it?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:33 pm

Yeah that's no problem - you might get a "double NAT" but I guess it's a common error. Some hotels don't let you "bridge" the connection so use the other setting.

Here's a link on Apple's forum from a confused user and a good reply.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lensman
Will the AirPort Express take hotel wifi and NAT it so you can connect multiple devices behind it?
Mine won't, but mine is an 802.11b/g model.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Mine won't, but mine is an 802.11b/g model.
Did you check out that link from the Apple boards? If you setup as a bridge it won't work, but if you setup the other way, it will.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM
After reading this thread, I decided I wanted to drop my laptop and travel with phone and tablet only.

Ended up ordering a D-Link DIR-505 as it is configured over WiFi instead of being forced to use a wire. Plus it has a USB slot so that I can charge a device or share files from a USB as well.

The last point is interesting. Someone hands you a USB and says take the files off it. With a tablet, that is near impossible. Now I can share a USB on all my WiFi devices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.