Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need advice for kuwait travel [electrical converters, plugs]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Talking Need advice for kuwait travel [electrical converters, plugs]

I need advice about voltage converter or transformer for my kuwait trip. i heard that they use 3 prong plugs and their electricity is 220 volts.

can any one recommend a transformer or converter? do i need both?

help.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Moderator action

Moving to travel technology forum.

But you can check www.kropla.com for your information, particularly http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm; another link leads to http://countrycode.org/kuwait.

240 VAC, 50 Hz. Type D and G outlets, unfortunately (Kropla says "*Type D primarily used for 15A service, Type G primarily for 13A service"). A multi-converter plug is your best bet. I use one with two auxiliary USB outlets, myself, and it works anywhere in the world. As for your devices, most (not all, but most,) work on 100 - 240 VAC. You need a transformer if you have something that uses 100-110 VAC and has a motor, generally speaking.

JDiver, Senior Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 7, 2012 at 7:11 am
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by JDiver
Moving to travel technology forum.

But you can check www.kropla.com for your information, particularly http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm; another link leads to http://countrycode.org/kuwait.

240 VAC, 50 Hz. Type D and G outlets, unfortunately (Kropla says "*Type D primarily used for 15A service, Type G primarily for 13A service"). A multi-converter plug is your best bet. I use one with two auxiliary USB outlets, myself, and it works anywhere in the world. As for your devices, most (not all, but most,) work on 100 - 240 VAC. You need a transformer if you have something that uses 100-110 VAC and has a motor, generally speaking.

JDiver, Senior Moderator
My rule of thumb is Motor and/or Heating element.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:59 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Welcome to FT ^

Have a look at:
http://www.adaptelec.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=228
Old Dec 7, 2012, 8:48 am

I've spent some time in Kuwait. The electrical system generally matches the UK. In hotels, I've run into a few universal jacks where you can plug most things in. Bathrooms have a low amp shaver plug which can be switched from 110v to 230v. The plug is generally designed to take US and Continental European style round two pin adapters. In a pinch, these jacks can charge a US cellphone.

Business class hotels almost always have a dryer and iron in your room. Typically, you get a tea kettle with Nescafe packets. Why a region of the world which loves its coffee can possibly enjoy Nescafe is a mystery to me. My thought is because it works best with tea service. Most rooms I've had contain a refrigerator.

What do you need a step down transformer for? Before you shlep one to the Middle East and back, put all the electronics you want to take in a pile and go through them reading the stickers. Most electronics now say something like "100-240VAC" which means that they can be run in any jack up to 240VAC. A few hotels I've been to also have 110volt plugs by the desk. This tends be a higher end amenity that goes with the mint on your pillow.

If you take a hair dryer, curling iron, etc., this might be different but then you want a higher amperage adapter and the really small cheapo devices that are sold for too much in luggage shoppers are a bad idea. You want something with a little substance and which will not be hanging out of a 230 light socket improperly weighted and poorly fitting.

You can buy a dual voltage hairdryer at CVS. It isn't advertised as such, read the side of the boxes, there is one that is dual voltage. Amazon.com sells a bunch of dual voltage stuff. My theory is make my travel appliances all dual voltage and I won't get in trouble.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
My theory is make my travel appliances all dual voltage and I won't get in trouble.
Agree, all my personal electronics, cords, plug adapters, etc... are all Dual Voltage.

That being said, I still carry around a small 80W stepdown transformer because my company has some kit that is only 110V... guess they don't take it as seriously as I do.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: None anymore
Key question are you staying hotels or local apartments/house? Do they cater to US travelers extensively?
As noted already you may end up needing nothing more then a couple plug convertors and a small power strip.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 5:51 pm

I carry a power strip similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG...el+powers+trip

I plug it into a plug adapter. Because of the two Iraqi wars and the number of US defense contractors based in Kuwait, most hotels are fairly experienced with US travelers. All the major chains are in Kuwait, but the prices are high. For example, a Courtyard by Marriot goes for $290 a night.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
For example, a Courtyard by Marriot goes for $290 a night.
True, but it's a Courtyard in name only. Service and facilities are well able wht you would get in a JW Marriott in the US
Old Dec 9, 2012, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by star_world
True, but it's a Courtyard in name only. Service and facilities are well able wht you would get in a JW Marriott in the US

That was my experience when I used to stay at the Dubai "Ramada" in Bur Dubai. The Dubai Courtyard doesn't have quite that feel.

The Middle East has never really developed that middle ground in hotels other than the small local hotels. They desperately need that middle tier occupied by our Courtyards, Hamptons Inns, Hilton Garden Inns, etc. Labor is so cheap in those countries because of the sojourn workers from the Indian subcontinent and Palestine that this seems to be off the radar. Meanwhile, when they need consultants they pay a fortune.

In Dubai, there are the tourist that compete for the rooms. In Kuwait you probably have two tourists at a time (excluding relatives visiting contractors and consultants).

My usual "cheapish" stay (by Kuwaiti standards) is the Holiday Inn in Salmiya. It is only a Crowne Plaza by U.S. standards.

Last edited by Dubai Stu; Dec 9, 2012 at 8:05 am
Old Dec 9, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
Just confirming what already has been said... most electronics are dual voltage these days. I only travel with universal plug/pin adapters now and don't even worry about the transformers.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:08 am

The only travel adapter plug you'll ever need. Kind of like a Chinese jigsaw puzzle but fits every socket you'll ever run in to. Don't be misled by the photo. Assembling, the parts fit two prong, three prong, round prong, UK, angled prong, flat prong, grounded prong, polarized plug, varying widths of round prong. No actual support for a ground connection though - not an issue with most electronics having two prog plugs anyway.

http://dx.com/p/mini-worldwide-power-plug-adapter-2238

Last edited by ericok; Dec 11, 2012 at 10:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.