Battery not charging on Acer Aspire One 6 cell

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Battery not charging on Acer Aspire One 6 cell

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Yes. I ended up buying a new one in person from MicroCenter and swapping batteries. New battery worked in old unit. Old battery failed in new unit. I just returned the bad battery and unit to BuyNow and kept the one from MicroCenter. Battery life is outrageously good.

Cheers.
You mean you returned the unit (netbook) too? Did they refund you for the bad battery?
Old Dec 23, 2009, 2:32 pm

Talking Acer Aspire One battery not charging

I recently encountered the very same problem and tried everything listed above but it just didn't work. So I decided to look into Acer's website and found the following information - it's very similar to the information posted here but with slight difference (I'm highlighting the difference below). I tried and it finally WORKED! I guess it is the "slight" different info. that made the difference and saved my day!

Battery discharges and is unable to be recharged
The battery has discharged and is unable to be recharged

If the battery discharges below a certain charge level, it may not be able to be recharged unless the System BIOS is flashed to revision 3309 or later. If the battery will not charge, please ensure that you have the latest BIOS before fore calling the Acer warranty support line. Updating the BIOS will require a USB flash drive to store the BIOS information on during the update. To perform the update to the BIOS:

1. Go "Drivers and Downloads" under Acer Support and download and extract the latest BIOS for the netbook.
2. Rename the BIOS file from 3310.fd to zg5ia32.fd.
3. Copy zg5ia32.fd and Flashit.exe to USB flash drive
4. Ensure that the AC adapter is plugged in.
5. Insert the USB flash drive into a USB port.
6. Press and Hold down the Fn and the Esc keys together and press the power button.
7. When the unit's power light comes on release the Fn and Esc keys.
8. After the keys have been released the power light will start to blink.
9. Let the unit run and after approximately 1-7 minutes, the unit should reboot and the BIOS will be updated

If the battery still will not hold a charge, the battery may need to be replaced, or the netbook may need service.

According to the website, the instruction here only works for AOA-110 and the AOA-150 netbook series. Mine is an AOA-150 series so it worked like a charm!

Thanks guys for the tips. I would have ended up spending huge money to purchase a brand new battery if I didn't come across this forum!

Last edited by changlink; Dec 23, 2009 at 2:42 pm
Old Dec 30, 2009, 6:18 pm

thank you all the bios update took care of the battery I had given up on this little thing after the battery issue until tonight when i found it in the shop and decided to look into the issue. looks like i will be using this for what I bought it for
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:47 pm

This Worked!

Originally Posted by ZX1100F1
Just a little more information on the Acer Aspire One Battery not charging issue:

BIOS revision 3309 (and later) has a fix for battery charging particularly the 6-cell batteries, however if you have the latest BIOS and your battery still isn't charging a good solution is to power down the computer, remove the battery and unplug the AC power cable then push and hold the power button for a whole 2 minutes (nothing will happen, we're trying to completely drain all residual voltage from the mainboard to reset it), then release the power button, install the battery and power up the computer, it should now recognize the battery and begin a normal charge cycle.

I have read other posts that claim to hold the power button in for 1 minute which I tried and it did not work, you must hold it in for the whole 2 minutes.
I thought I would have to return this notebook when the battery stopped taking a charge... and wouldn't run on power either... but this remedy really worked. I followed exactly what you said... but, when powering up again, I had to hold the on button for several seconds. Just pressing it the first time didn't work.
Thank you! That was an easy fix!
Old Jan 9, 2010, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by theresam
I thought I would have to return this notebook when the battery stopped taking a charge... and wouldn't run on power either... but this remedy really worked. I followed exactly what you said... but, when powering up again, I had to hold the on button for several seconds. Just pressing it the first time didn't work.
Thank you! That was an easy fix!
I hadn't used my Acer netbook for months and then when I ded, the battery was dead. The computer would not charge or even recognize the battery. I updated the bios according to the instructions on Acer's website but that didn't seem to help at all. I thought I was screwed because I bought this computer on ebay and can't return it. This remedy telling me to hold that power button for 2 MINUTES worked! My battery is finally charging. THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Old Jan 24, 2010, 8:33 am

Finally fixed!

Originally Posted by changlink
1. Go "Drivers and Downloads" under Acer Support and download and extract the latest BIOS for the netbook.
2. Rename the BIOS file from 3310.fd to zg5ia32.fd.
3. Copy zg5ia32.fd and Flashit.exe to USB flash drive
4. Ensure that the AC adapter is plugged in.
5. Insert the USB flash drive into a USB port.
6. Press and Hold down the Fn and the Esc keys together and press the power button.
7. When the unit's power light comes on release the Fn and Esc keys.
8. After the keys have been released the power light will start to blink.
9. Let the unit run and after approximately 1-7 minutes, the unit should reboot and the BIOS will be updated
Thank you very much!

I've tried all the tricks and the only one that worked for me is this (including the renaming from 3310.fd to zg5ia32.fd), except that in my case the power light didn't blink and it took me two attempts to find out when to release Fn+Esc.

My model is AOA 150, with Linux pre-installed, bought here in Spain.

Thank you.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:56 am

Talking

Just a little more information on the Acer Aspire One Battery not charging issue:

BIOS revision 3309 (and later) has a fix for battery charging particularly the 6-cell batteries, however if you have the latest BIOS and your battery still isn't charging a good solution is to power down the computer, remove the battery and unplug the AC power cable then push and hold the power button for a whole 2 minutes (nothing will happen, we're trying to completely drain all residual voltage from the mainboard to reset it), then release the power button, install the battery and power up the computer, it should now recognize the battery and begin a normal charge cycle.

I have read other posts that claim to hold the power button in for 1 minute which I tried and it did not work, you must hold it in for the whole 2 minutes.
thank you so much,my acer is now working perfect.
it was not the battery.
i have reset de computer for 2 minutes,that was all
thank you again!!
tony
netherlands
Old Feb 6, 2010, 12:33 pm

BIOS upgrade worked perfectly

Thanks very much for posting this.

The BIOS upgrade worked like a charm.

Thanks.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 1:37 pm

I found this thread via a google search. I have a Ferrari One laptop that would not charge its battery, even after updating the bios.

After updating the bios, the message changed from "0%, charging" to "0%, not charging".

Following the instructions here, I disconnected battery and power cord, then held the power button for 2+ minutes (I counted slowly to 150).

Replaced the battery and power cord and booted. Voila, now at 6% and still charging! woot woot!

Thanks a TON!!
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:15 pm

hi,

HI, I once have the same issue with you, but now it is solved, because I asked acer company for help....
Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:01 pm

excellent discussion I was about to buy a new battery until I read this - BIOS update -> charging!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:45 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
I second the thanks for these tips. I too have an Acer One with battery problems. I followed the suggestion to go to the Acer web site (http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3288) and followed the directions to upgrade the BIOS. Once I did that the battery that previously would not charge at all is now charging just fine.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 11:09 am

Fantastic!

This is really amazing post!

I'm gonna try this one..
Mine is charging til 68% but it doesn't charge til 100%, since one month i got this problem, i already upgraded my Bios but still this problem.. my netbook is new but maybe this is because i never charged my battery while my netbook is off.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 11:13 am

Reply to "Originally Posted by ZX1100F1 View Post

I have read other posts that claim to hold the power button in for 1 minute which I tried and it did not work, you must hold it in for the whole 2 minutes"

MAN YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHAT CAN I SAY!
THANKS A BUNDLE!
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:12 am

Same Problem

i also hv the same problem with my acer aspire 4540..its says that
my laptop will shut down suddenly..why is this happening?is there any solution 4 this problem?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.