Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Running a laptop without battery ... good idea?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Running a laptop without battery ... good idea?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2008, 9:35 pm

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by USAFAN
The battery in my last laptop hat very short life, less than 1 year .. the battery was always installed, even when the laptop was running from a fixed like power.
Sounds like the laptop may have kept topping off the battery and used up the recharge cycle count. All laptops will start charging at 96% and stop at 100%. A typical battery pack' self discharging rate will take about 3 to 5 days before it triggers the threshold to start charging. That can easily add up to 100 cycles in a calendar year.

Originally Posted by ralfp
That's the best way to do this. When using the system for long periods of time (weeks) w/o using the battery, set the threshold to 50% or so. You get the benefit of a UPS w/o hurting overall battery lifespan. Just don't forget to fully charge it before you travel.
I wish more laptop manufacturers would expose the charging threshold settings to the user. AFAIK, only ThinkPads and maybe other Lenovo products allow explicit setting. Panasonics have an "Eco mode" button that, when activated, stops charging at 80% and dims screen to save power.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Make sure you don't knock the power cord out or the surge protector or if there is a power outtage--you're gonna lose your data if you haven't backed up.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CApreppie
Make sure you don't knock the power cord out or the surge protector or if there is a power outtage--you're gonna lose your data if you haven't backed up.
No, just what has happened since the last save.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.