Wiki Posts
Search

Help with RealPlayer - can't open My Library

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2008, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Help with RealPlayer - can't open My Library

I am using the free version of RealPlayer v11.
I have only video files in the library. Many files and total 30 hours equivalent of videos on it. Today, I can't open My Library. The launch "blue circle" keeps on spinning and the library list never show (over 40 minutes B4 I shut it down). I am using Vista Home Premium.
Did not have backup of the video files
Please help as to how can I salvage my files. If I uninstall and reinstall RealPlayer, would it wipe out the files? Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thx.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 5:15 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Your video files a stored on you hard drive. Probably under the folder My Documents or My Videos or how is it called on Windows Vista. The "My Library" in Real Palyer is just a short cut to the location on your hard drive. So reinstalling Real Palyer won't delet them. What you also could try to use the Windows Media Player to view them or even better download the VLC media player from www.videolan.org .
Old Nov 7, 2008, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by caspritz78
Your video files a stored on you hard drive. Probably under the folder My Documents or My Videos or how is it called on Windows Vista. The "My Library" in Real Palyer is just a short cut to the location on your hard drive. So reinstalling Real Palyer won't delet them. What you also could try to use the Windows Media Player to view them or even better download the VLC media player from www.videolan.org .
Prior to reading your post, I had tried something per following to no avail (but I do think it may help others in similar situation). I credit it to Lopez of the RealPlayer forum. He said:

"You can try moving device files out of RealPlayer to regain "My Library" access. As I had the same problem earlier, moving device files fixed the issue.

To remove the files (automatic version):

1. Use the link: http://service.real.com/downloads/Lib_Fix.bat to run the batch file first
2. A file download window should pop up asking you what you wish to do with the file. Click Save.
3. The Save as window is displayed. In the Save in drop-down box at the top of the window, select Desktop.
4. Click Save, and allow the download to complete.
5. Once the download has completed, close all open programs and start the Lib_Fix.bat file on your desktop.
6. Follow the instructions in the batch file.

To remove the files manually (advanced-user option):

1. Open My Computer.
2. Open the drive where RealPlayer is installed (usually, Local Disk C .
3. Open the Program Files folder.
4. Open the Real folder.
5. Open the RealPlayer folder.
6. Open the Devices folder.
7. Right-click on a blank spot in the Devices folder.
8. Click new, then select folder.
9. Call the folder LibraryFix.
10. Cut all the .rpd files from the Devices folder and paste them into the newly-created LibraryFix folder.
11. Restart your computer.
12. Open RealPlayer."

I followed instructions to remove files the manual way (without knowing what the heck I was actually doing). End result, it still freezes.

Inside the Devices folder, I don't see any file names recognizeable as video files, such as dot mov....
Yes, I do use Windows Media Player as well, and Adobe Media Player.
I am cautious about re-instaling RealPlayer, as opinion about it varies inside the RealPlayer forum.
I will look at the link that you kindly provided. Thanks.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Recover all files, but...

Long story short. After checking out forums and trying many things, finally recovered my files. I have no idea which one thing actually made it happen. I am glad that it did.
I did re-install (but without UN-install) 3 times. Also moved files to new folder and scan disk for media. After the scan, every file appears on My Library. That's cool ^
However, the video files won't play from the VIDEOS (even though file names show in it) but will play from the DOWNLOAD & RECORDING. Go figure!
I am pleased that no files are lost. Thanks for your help.
Next, I try to back them up on a DVD.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 11:36 am

this works for me hope will work for you

I know that with the library, when you try to access the library and you get "RealPlayer Encountered an Error and needs to close" - if you click on the details link on that error, and the Mod name is NTDLL.dll then there is a disk access issue. The most common culprit is the library is pointing to a disk drive that is no longer there.

For example: you install RealPlayer and the library is pointing to an external drive named D: You remove the ext. drive and open RealPlayer, try to access the library, you will get this error. Or if the ext. drive letter was changed, perhaps it was unpluged and a CD-ROM emulator was installed, the next time you plug in the drive, the letter will change.

To resolve this:

Open RealPlayer

Click Tools

Preferences

On the General Tab

Ensure that My Library Files is pointing to a drive that is there

Same with Temporary Files

I hope this helps!
Old Jun 14, 2009, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mehdi
I know that with the library, when you try to access the library and you get "RealPlayer Encountered an Error and needs to close" - if you click on the details link on that error, and the Mod name is NTDLL.dll then there is a disk access issue. The most common culprit is the library is pointing to a disk drive that is no longer there.

For example: you install RealPlayer and the library is pointing to an external drive named D: You remove the ext. drive and open RealPlayer, try to access the library, you will get this error. Or if the ext. drive letter was changed, perhaps it was unpluged and a CD-ROM emulator was installed, the next time you plug in the drive, the letter will change.

To resolve this:

Open RealPlayer

Click Tools

Preferences

On the General Tab

Ensure that My Library Files is pointing to a drive that is there

Same with Temporary Files

I hope this helps!
^^^
Thanks. Everything is working good now.
This is weird, but sometimes I noticed my file names get changed (from my re-named ones) back to the original. Can't figure out why. Not that it is doing anything to stop me from playing the files.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.