Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best ipod/iphone holders for Y class airplane seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best ipod/iphone holders for Y class airplane seats?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2008, 3:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Exclamation Best ipod/iphone holders for Y class airplane seats?

I'm due to fly a few longhaul flights on Alitalia's 767s soon, and that means no PTVs in Economy. I have an iphone 3G, and would like to be able to use some sort of holder to "attach" it to the seatback in front and basically pretend like someone installed a PTV on my seat only.

Next best would be a good holder that allows for viewing if placed on the tray table.

Any suggestions?
Old Nov 1, 2008, 7:01 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
In theory is seems like a good idea, but I find that the small screen means I have to hold the thing about a foot from my face.

As a photographer I use blue sticky stuff that looks like Silly Putty to hold a lot of things temporarily. It's great because you can use it on anything except cloth and it'll come off cleanly. It's called Fun-Tak and you can find it in art supply stores and occasionally drug stores. There's an imitation yellow version that doesn't work as well. Fun-Tak is usually used for sticking posters to the wall without leaving a mark. You could could use a wad to attach your iPhone to the back of the tray table.

It's also great stuff if you carry personal pictures and like to put them up in a long term hotel room.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 7:26 pm

Programs: US Chairman
[QUOTE=Next best would be a good holder that allows for viewing if placed on the tray table.

Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

I was looking for something like this too. While browsing in my local $ store, I was in the "office" supply aisle and spotted a metal mesh business card holder. I had my "touch" with me and just for fun set it in as a business card and the holder held it just fine.

I have used it now on three long domestic flights and it worked out great. Since it is that mesh type metal, it can be squeezed to get a different angle.

While this may not be the greatest thing, but at least it works and only a dollar.

Lydia
Old Nov 1, 2008, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It seems a binder clip or two would do the trick...

http://cultofmac.com/iphone-stand-from-binder-clip/4374
Old Nov 1, 2008, 9:05 pm

I have been using this for my iPhone and it works perfectly! I find that it is just the right angle when used on the tray table, too!

http://www.tuaw.com/2006/05/11/ipod-cassette-holder/

Forgot to mention that I lay the iPhone sideways when using this holder...

Last edited by Tealady; Nov 1, 2008 at 9:23 pm
Old Nov 1, 2008, 10:14 pm

Programs: US Chairman
Originally Posted by Tealady
I have been using this for my iPhone and it works perfectly! I find that it is just the right angle when used on the tray table, too!

http://www.tuaw.com/2006/05/11/ipod-cassette-holder/

Forgot to mention that I lay the iPhone sideways when using this holder...
How do you get it to fit sideways? My iPod Touch won't fit sideways and the iPhone is longer. Am I missing something?
Old Nov 1, 2008, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by lydia
How do you get it to fit sideways? My iPod Touch won't fit sideways and the iPhone is longer. Am I missing something?
The iPhone (or Touch iPod) do not go "inside" like that picture shows. They sit nicely on the "shelf" so it really does not matter how long they are...

I just ordered a new case for my iPhone and it doubles as a stand. So, we'll see how that works!!

http://www.speckproducts.com/product.../iphone-3g/142
Old Nov 2, 2008, 1:17 am

The iPhone (or Touch iPod) do not go "inside" like that picture shows. They sit nicely on the "shelf" so it really does not matter how long they are...

I just ordered a new case for my iPhone and it doubles as a stand. So, we'll see how that works!!

If you use it this way, you'll want to get something sticky to mount to the back of your iTouch/iPhone so it can stick to the cassette case. Otherwise the slightest bump will send you device tumbling.

OP, you might also want to confirm you can use iPhone on the flight. Some airlines don't allow it, even in airplane mode.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by SaigonCyclo
If you use it this way, you'll want to get something sticky to mount to the back of your iTouch/iPhone so it can stick to the cassette case. Otherwise the slightest bump will send you device tumbling.
Thanks! Right now, it is in a hard leather case and, therefore, it "sticks" quite nicely ~ even through turbulence. I haven't had any problems at all.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA GS
Perhaps a gorillapod? I've seen some creative uses.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz

I think this is the same product, on Amazon (I always look there when I buy something):
http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Products...744943&sr=8-31

Anyone like/dislike it? I'd assume I could use this on a tray table, or large armrest? I have a long (LAX-LHR) trans-Atlantic flight in early Dec, and I could certainly justify this.

I currently have the Sena leather case for my iPhone (fits well in my pocket). But if I want to use it in-flight, I flip the cover over, and snap the cover behind. I kind of wrap it around my hand. This mostly works, but I have to keep my hand in a position where I can see the screen.

About a year ago, I got a really nice case for my Nano (I think by Kickstand) that basically makes it stand up. And a Nano being as small as it is, I've fit even on an armrest.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL GM,2MM [3.37TMM]
Can't beat the BatRest for small travel size and cheep.
Slips right into your wallet or into the pocket of the DLO leather case for my Touch.
Ordered Qty 2, which arrived in a 1st class letter a week later. And did I, mention, it's cheep!
Old Dec 6, 2008, 9:21 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, Marriott LT PLT
For the budget traveler in all of us, here's a solution that is more creative and elegant than any I've seen (including the venerable cassette tape case). A hint: this case can only be used when your tray table is in the upright and locked position.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:14 am
ob1

Programs: United GS
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
I'm due to fly a few longhaul flights on Alitalia's 767s soon, and that means no PTVs in Economy. I have an iphone 3G, and would like to be able to use some sort of holder to "attach" it to the seatback in front and basically pretend like someone installed a PTV on my seat only.

Next best would be a good holder that allows for viewing if placed on the tray table.

Any suggestions?
I have the older version with a clear case and fold out stand - not seen an updated version for the 3G but this si close
http://the-gadgeteer.com/review/gizm...ar_iphone_case
Old Dec 6, 2008, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by boxedlunch
For the budget traveler in all of us, here's a solution that is more creative and elegant than any I've seen (including the venerable cassette tape case). A hint: this case can only be used when your tray table is in the upright and locked position.
Would it have something to do with an air sickness bag?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.