Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Help me get my new laptop on the network

Old Oct 27, 2008, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ADL, ACLU, NRA, HRC, NCLR, WBCA

OK so I got a new laptop from work.... And I freaking can't get it onto my network. Wired or wireless, even tried a known good wireless card.

OS is XP Pro SP2
Windows Firewall is DISABLED
configured to use DHCP, and yes I tried just manually setting up TCPIP

here's what happens:

The laptop will acquire a network address. Running ipconfig gets me the correct addresses for the laptop, the default gateway, and DNS and the correct subnet mask. I can ping localhost either by name or address. I can NOT ping anything else -- not the router, not my other Windows box -- by name or address. The ping request times out.

I'm baffled, LOL. Ideas of what to check next?

TIA
Old Oct 27, 2008, 5:17 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
It is always difficult to analyse a situation like yours without seeing the actual network configuration. It would help to see what ipconfig shows you.

About the ping. Sometime routers don't response to a ping because ping is sometimes missused for Denial of Service attacks.

Is the network address your laptop aquires from the same subnet the router is on? What settings did you use for the manual set-up. For example your router uses 192.168.1.1 on a 255.255.255.0 subnet your laptop has to use 192.168.1.X where X stands for 2-254.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by swei0009
OK so I got a new laptop from work.... And I freaking can't get it onto my network. Wired or wireless, even tried a known good wireless card.

OS is XP Pro SP2
Windows Firewall is DISABLED
configured to use DHCP, and yes I tried just manually setting up TCPIP

here's what happens:

The laptop will acquire a network address. Running ipconfig gets me the correct addresses for the laptop, the default gateway, and DNS and the correct subnet mask. I can ping localhost either by name or address. I can NOT ping anything else -- not the router, not my other Windows box -- by name or address. The ping request times out.

I'm baffled, LOL. Ideas of what to check next?

TIA
Most laptops are configured to aquire a network address of a wireless with a 192.168.1.1 address. Try this:

Open Internet explorer

Click on "Tools"

Click "Internet Options"

Click "connections"

Click "Lan Settings"

In Lan Settings UNCHECK anything that is checked.

try connecting again. PM me if it works or not. Good luck
Old Oct 27, 2008, 6:02 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Can you post the results of an ipconfig /all from the laptop (when it's connected) and the other windows box that is working?
Old Oct 27, 2008, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by flying4aliving
Most laptops are configured to aquire a network address of a wireless with a 192.168.1.1 address.
I presume you mean with a gateway of the above address? It would be unusual for a DHCP server on a consumer router to give the above address to a device connecting to it.

What sort of router are you connecting to? Have you successfully connected other devices to it?
Old Oct 27, 2008, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Fixed it.

It's a 2Wire router from Qwest, btw, and yeah, everything in the world is connected to it. It responds to pings.

Turns out the laptop I have was last used by a developer who put some sort of freaking Tru-Secure thingy into the network stack (checked TC/PIP properties, see the windows networking, QoS, etc, and there was some sort of secure thing checked. I unchecked it.) And it works.

Bleeping devs, LOL :-)
Old Oct 27, 2008, 8:27 pm

OK so I got a new laptop from work....
Turns out the laptop I have was last used by a developer ...
Thought it was new.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deubster
Thought it was new.
New to me. Recycled from a dev. Startup company, LOL.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 3:42 am

Sounds like you should re-install and format the hard drive as part of the install since you don't know what's on there. I hope you have the install media and the drivers you need.

-David
Old Oct 28, 2008, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Sounds like you should re-install and format the hard drive as part of the install since you don't know what's on there. I hope you have the install media and the drivers you need.

-David
My thoughts exactly. I don't have the disks, but they are sending them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.