Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best in-ear noise canceling travel earphones?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best in-ear noise canceling travel earphones?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:27 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Etymotic In-Ear Earphones. They are basically ear plugs with speakers in them.

They are very effective in blocking outside sounds, but you can still hear announcements, etc, if you turn down the sound. And the sound is absolutely incredible.

I've been traveling with the ER-4P model for seven years and I wouldn't trade them for anything. They are small, light, comfortable and... perfect.

I wasn't happy with the Bose NC headphones, and some online research brought me to the Etymotics. They are a lot cheaper now than when I bought mine. I paid $300 for them, but they are available for $170 now (Amazon).

The company stands by its product, too. After years of heavy use, one of the earplugs developed a crack. They replaced it.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA1k-to-UAnada, HiltonLowAsUCanGo, HertzDoesntMatter
Originally Posted by Mort
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Etymotic In-Ear Earphones. They are basically ear plugs with speakers in them.

They are very effective in blocking outside sounds, but you can still hear announcements, etc, if you turn down the sound. And the sound is absolutely incredible.

I've been traveling with the ER-4P model for seven years and I wouldn't trade them for anything. They are small, light, comfortable and... perfect.

I wasn't happy with the Bose NC headphones, and some online research brought me to the Etymotics. They are a lot cheaper now than when I bought mine. I paid $300 for them, but they are available for $170 now (Amazon).

The company stands by its product, too. After years of heavy use, one of the earplugs developed a crack. They replaced it.
er-6s for me... cheap enough so i don't worry about replacing when damaged or lost. change the cushions out to shure types which fit my ear better (only a few $$ on ebay) and been a happy flier for the past 18mo.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 2.2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Exec, Hertz President's Club, Starwood Gold
I am a bit of a headphone junkie and I have tried them all.

I was sold on the Bose for a while, but their size and bulk outweigh their benefits for air travel.

I am currently sold on Shure (I have several different models that I've bought when I've seen them on sale).

They are very small and they do a great job of blocking (not canceling) the noise of airplanes.

They are also great for the gym -- this was a major factor for me. I was concerned that with sound isolating earbuds that I would hear myself breathing (like snorkeling) while on the treadmill at the gym, but this was never a problem.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 5:58 am

Another vote for the Etymotic ER-6i. You do have to learn how to insert them properly in order to obtain the best sound and maximum noise blocking. But if inserted correctly, you quickly forget you have them in and can leave them in for long periods and sleep with them. And noise-cancelling headphones don't come close to the sound quality and quiet you obtain with the ER-6i. I use the 3-flange earpiece that comes standard - the foam is comforable, but not as quiet.

Typical NC headphones won't block that crying child or annoying neighbor, are too uncomfortable to allow most people to sleep, are large and heavy, require batteries, and worst of all, make the music sound dull or muted. The Etymotics overcome all these problems and provide better noise blocking, as well. I've also heard good things about the Shures, but have no experience with them.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM & 1MM, AA, BA, National Emerald
Just a follow up to my post on here. I puchased the Sony MDR-NC22 on ebay and just used them for a long trip and loved them. stayed in my ears noise reductoin amazed me considering price and they travel well. Thanks for all the input but i am sold on Sony!!
Old Nov 23, 2008, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
One more vote for the Etymotic ER6-i-incredibly comfortable-to the point of not knowing they are in your ear. The sound quality is excellent, and the noice cancelling is far better than my over-the-ear Bose. My kids liked them so much that they "borrowed" them-permanently.....
Old Nov 23, 2008, 7:31 pm

Programs: US Plat, DL Gold, WN when needed, PC Plat, SPG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by BarryL
I have a set of these Sony's too. I perfer them over Bose. Plus it takes a lot less room in your travel bag.
I use a pair of passive, in-ear Shure ear buds. They cost around $250 last year, and they are very satisfying. It sounds like the Sony pair is getting a lot of love, but either way, the passive ear buds have some advantages to the frequent flier.

They don't require batteries, and they are much smaller than on-ear or around-ear headphones. The good ones should have different size rubber ear pieces, so you can pick the ones that fit the best.

The stock iPOD ear buds are the worst ever made, as they do fall out of your ear easily, and they don't drown out background noise very well. Almost any pair of buds over $100 should do a much better job.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
I have been using a set of the Shure E5's for a couple of years now. I think they are great. The sound reproduction is fantastic in keeping with the fact that these were developed for musicians to use on-stage as monitors. I use the triple flange silicone tigs, stick them way in deep and listen to music as it was recorded.

Though some find them uncomfortable, I use them for up to 18 hours trans-con plus trans-Atlantic.

Shure has replaced these with a newer top of the line in earphone.

They do stay put!
Old Dec 2, 2008, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have had more NC's and normal headphones than I can recall (in the ar and over the ear), the best for price and comfort are probably (sacrilege) the JVC Air Cushion earbuds, for some reason I find them extremely comfortable and great at blocking noise, much superior in fact than the last two pairs of Sony NC ear buds that I have had. Oh yeah, and they retail for $20-30.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 7:29 am

Programs: WN, HA, UA
I have tried a number of headphones. The Shure E2c phones worked well, but they don't cut the drone of aircraft engines like noise canceling earphones. I have settled on the Sony MDR NC22 and my wife uses the Sennheiser on the ear phones.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 7:44 am

Programs: UA PrmEx
I bought a pair of Shure E2C or E3C from Best Buy and I don't really like them. "Smokin' Buds" (Skull Candy?) available at Target, Marshalls, etc, are really cheap, light, sound great and I won't cry if I lose them. I put folding ear muffs on top of them when I really want noise cancellation without the white noise of Bose et al.

Call it a ghetto solution, but it works for me. YMMV.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 1:33 pm

Has anybody ever seen in-ear headphones with a retractable (zip-linq) cord?

I have a pair of headphones but the cables are always getting tangled when I travel. I have retractable cables for all my other travel devices. I wish I could get headphones that also have a retractable cable...
Old Dec 27, 2008, 4:24 am

Programs: CO Platinum, NWA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
Shure on sale

If you hurry, you might still be able to pick up a pair of Shure SCL4 (white only) for $79. On sale now at Guitar Center, Musicians Friend, & Music 123.

I bought the last pair at my local Guitar Center and ordered a second pair (backordered) from Musicians Friend.

Will try them on a plane for the 1st time this weekend. I love my Bose, but they are just too big. I actually purposely left them at home on my last 3-week trip that involved 7 flights.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:22 am

Programs: SPG Plat
I have a pair of Shure e3c's. The sound is great, but I feel like you really have to shove them deep to get any bass response. However, once you get the fit perfect, the noise canceling is far better then my old Bose over the ear headphones. It's not even close.

A word of warning, though...one time one of the rubber sleeves got stuck in my ear. It was quite uncomfortable and also a bit embarrassing. There is no glue or adhesive that keeps the sleeve on, just plain friction! The sleeves do get worn out and need regular replacing. Otherwise they will slide right off, which is not good when they are still in your ear.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by NWA-PLAT
If you hurry, you might still be able to pick up a pair of Shure SCL4 (white only) for $79. On sale now at Guitar Center, Musicians Friend, & Music 123.

I bought the last pair at my local Guitar Center and ordered a second pair (backordered) from Musicians Friend.

Will try them on a plane for the 1st time this weekend. I love my Bose, but they are just too big. I actually purposely left them at home on my last 3-week trip that involved 7 flights.
I placed an order for these a few days ago...hope they ship. Are the Shure's decent for noise canceling?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.