Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Remnants of a Virus: Fixing IE/Google Redirection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2008, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club

I wasn't careful, I admit, downloaded something I shouldn't have for the very first time. Wound up with a virus that my fortunately up-to-date virus software caught and supposedly fixed.

However, there's one remaining problem. It seems that certain links from Google searches will open up a new browser and redirect me when I click them. Very annoying, it is slowing down my system tremendously when opening up new browser windows in Internet Explorer. And I'm having to copy and paste links from Google into the address box in order to reach the site, eg just about anything air travel related opens a new window and redirects me through a referral link to onetravel.com.

Any idea how I make this stop?
Old Aug 30, 2008, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL SM Diamond, AA Ex. Platinum, Ph.D in STFU
Originally Posted by gleff
I wasn't careful, I admit, downloaded something I shouldn't have for the very first time. Wound up with a virus that my fortunately up-to-date virus software caught and supposedly fixed.

However, there's one remaining problem. It seems that certain links from Google searches will open up a new browser and redirect me when I click them. Very annoying, it is slowing down my system tremendously when opening up new browser windows in Internet Explorer. And I'm having to copy and paste links from Google into the address box in order to reach the site, eg just about anything air travel related opens a new window and redirects me through a referral link to onetravel.com.

Any idea how I make this stop?
download "spy bot" from www.downloads.com (its free), run a full scan and it will fix the registry problems for you.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 12:55 pm

It's probably a browser helper object (BHO) that you accidentally installed. You can certainly try spybot s&d first, but if that doesn't work, you'll probably need to try and figure out what to disable using hijackthis:

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...ols/hijackthis

Most likely the malware is installed as BHO (browser helper object) in IE.

I would try spybot s&d first. Don't bother innoculating or doing anything but a registry backup and system scan, then look at the results. Close IE before installing/running spybot s&d. Typically, you can let it fix anything it wants to fix.

If that doesn't work, you're going to need to run hijackthis and you'll need help analyzing the output. The Spybot S&D Forum is a good place for doing that.

Sybot S&D Home page: http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html

-David
Old Aug 30, 2008, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I had forgotten that I had Spybot already installed on my computer. I haven't run it in over a year. Updated the file, ran it, problem solved .. thanks! ^
Old Aug 30, 2008, 3:13 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
For stuff spybot can't fix, if you google the name of the site you are being sent to, there's usually a fix somebody has written for it, or instructions of what registry keeys need fixing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.