Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Sign in using an external account

Old Aug 22, 08, 5:06 pm   #1

Programs: UA 1P, DL, AA
How much for a prepaid unlimited data in Europe

I am going to Europe next month, and would like to use my unlocked 3G PC Card (works with all HSDPA, UMTS, EDGE, GPRS, and GSM networks) in my laptop. Can I buy a prepaid SIM with unlimited data for a month in London, France, Rome and Munich?
sleepytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 08, 5:22 pm   #2

Programs: AA Platinum and a Disgruntled UA 2MM 1K
Three in the UK has a good deal with prepay data, 1GB of transfers for 10GBP

See info here: http://www.three.co.uk/personal/prod...band_/payg.omp

You will likely need a sim for each country as data roaming is terrible.

Vodafone UK had a similar prepay mobile prepay but currently there is no info on their website... Can anyone in the UK verify if they dropped this?
NickP 1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 08, 5:59 pm   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickP 1K View Post
Three in the UK has a good deal with prepay data, 1GB of transfers for 10GBP

See info here: http://www.three.co.uk/personal/prod...band_/payg.omp

You will likely need a sim for each country as data roaming is terrible.

Vodafone UK had a similar prepay mobile prepay but currently there is no info on their website... Can anyone in the UK verify if they dropped this?
Thanks for the info! I will be there for 8 days, so 7GB for 25 should work for me. Hopefully, the other countries have similar deals for prepaid.
Old Aug 22, 08, 6:02 pm   #4

Wind has a virtually unlimited data SIM for Italy and Vodafone has one for Germany. France is tough.
Dubai Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 08, 12:58 pm   #5

Programs: DL DM (for now)
Vodafone Germany has "Web Sessions' which gives you 24 hours "unlimited" service for Euro 7.95 (Euro 4.95 until Aug 31). Supposedly works with all prepaid SIMS (CallYa). I'll let you know how it works next week
Old Aug 23, 08, 2:46 pm   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer View Post
Vodafone Germany has "Web Sessions' which gives you 24 hours "unlimited" service for Euro 7.95 (Euro 4.95 until Aug 31). Supposedly works with all prepaid SIMS (CallYa). I'll let you know how it works next week
I'm beginning to think that it is cheaper to use a German Vodafone SIM (via data passport services) in France then any of the domestic offerings. If someone has a better French plan, let me know.
Old Aug 23, 08, 2:59 pm   #7
iff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu View Post
I'm beginning to think that it is cheaper to use a German Vodafone SIM (via data passport services) in France then any of the domestic offerings. If someone has a better French plan, let me know.
Are there any prepaid data plans available in France without a subscription? I haven't been able to find any through the major French carriers. Also, the "unlimited" subscription plans they offer certainly don't seem to be unlimited.
iff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 08, 8:13 pm   #8

My best friend bought a French prepaid this summer that came in a data card. I don't remember the provider, but the strange thing was that it was billed by the hour rather than the megabyte. I can find out more if you'd like.
Old Aug 24, 08, 2:52 am   #9
iff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu View Post
My best friend bought a French prepaid this summer that came in a data card. I don't remember the provider, but the strange thing was that it was billed by the hour rather than the megabyte. I can find out more if you'd like.
Thanks. I don't need to know myself (other than to satisfy my curiosity), but it might be helpful to others here if it's not too much trouble for you to find out.
iff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 08, 6:26 am   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by iff View Post
Thanks. I don't need to know myself (other than to satisfy my curiosity), but it might be helpful to others here if it's not too much trouble for you to find out.
I remember that it was an Orange plan/deal, but I don't remember much else. I remember that they build by the hour and it was like 6 hours for 30 euros. To say that my friend was unhappy is an understatement. Here is his e-mail to me:

"Yes, I used Orange. Things to remember - it's expensive. Unused time expires in 30 days. Even when I got an Orange signal, I couldn't always get on line. In fact, often could not. Cafes with hotspots dont seem to exist so plan B should be hotel in internet cafes.

I was really disappointed and the meter would keep running if you did the initial sign-in but didn't actually get on line. And you have to be on-line to log out and stop the meter !!! I'd simply have to shut down my computer if it made in through the first hoop (orange phone signal) ubt not the second (actual web connection). same problem if the signal is lost while on line. You can't log off and hence you can't try to log back in - because Orange thinks you;re already on line (and is charging you for the pleasure of lying on the side of the road."

He was using the card in Baeritz (sp?), not Paris. I presume the signal was a little better in Paris.

Last edited by Dubai Stu; Aug 24, 08 at 10:41 am..
Old Aug 25, 08, 9:16 am   #11

UMTS with diffrent Prepaid-Discounters in germany

In germany you find different prepaid providers that offer umts. For example fonic, blau.de or simyo 0,24 for 1 MB. Source: http://www.clever-telefonieren.de/prepaid/
telcoscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 08, 1:09 pm   #12

Thanks for all of the responses! It looks like my options for prepaid data are:

UK: 3
Germany: Vodafone
Italy: TIM (maybe I can buy an unlocked prepaid iPhone 3G and use that SIM)
France: Orange?
Old Aug 25, 08, 5:32 pm   #13

Programs: 10-year UA 1K and 1.99 MM, now AA EXP
You can roam in Italy (and several other countries) on voice and data using a 3 UK SIM at no extra cost. It's called "3 like home".

http://www.three.co.uk/personal/help..._as_you_go.omp
someotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 08, 2:58 am   #14

USB Dongle in Germany.

I'm in Germany for 2 weeks for a trade fair in Jan. I really cannot afford to pay Euro 50/- for daily broadband at the fairground and another 20-40 Euros for access at the hotel. Is there any way I can get a good Cellular Broadband Dongle for about Euro 100/- for the 2 weeks?? Do I have to produce residence permit or something for a cellular broadband connection in Germany?

Any ideas how I can broadband without haing to shell out over 500/- euros.
mukulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 08, 6:12 am   #15

Programs: DL DM (for now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukulm View Post
I'm in Germany for 2 weeks for a trade fair in Jan. I really cannot afford to pay Euro 50/- for daily broadband at the fairground and another 20-40 Euros for access at the hotel. Is there any way I can get a good Cellular Broadband Dongle for about Euro 100/- for the 2 weeks?? Do I have to produce residence permit or something for a cellular broadband connection in Germany?

Any ideas how I can broadband without haing to shell out over 500/- euros.
I did the following last summer:

1) bought an unlocked Sierra Wireless USB Modem on eBay for $130 or so.
2) Bought a CallYa Prepaid SIM at a Vodofone store when I got to Germany. Costs 20 with 10 credit.
3) Bought a Vodafone "Websessions" day pass for each day I wanted internet access at 4.95/day. This gives you up to 1GB bandwidth and it good for 24 hours. So if you start at 3:00pm it is good until 3:00pm the next day. You can use your credit card for this or deduct it from the time on the card.

I was in some fairly out of the way places (i.e. not always in a big city) and it worked fine. I wasn't doing much other than email and web browsing but I did have to Remote Desktop into a client's server a couple of times and it worked fine.

When I was in the Vodafone store they wanted a local address. I gave them my hotel and that was fine.

If you check on www.prepaidgsm.net there are some discussions of monthly flatrate access, but some of these are EDGE or even GPRS only and a bit slow.