FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   [archived] Favorite iPhone/iPad applications (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/848219-archived-favorite-iphone-ipad-applications.html)

adambadam Jul 24, 2008 10:03 am

[archived] Favorite iPhone/iPad applications

Hello,

Just picked up a new iPhone 3G and have been playing around with it for a day though I am wondering what everyone's favorite applications are for their iPhone or iPod touch.

So far I really like
  • Remote (free)
  • Urbanspoon (free)
  • Sportstap (free)
  • Shazam (free) -- amazing

Haven't tried to actually buy an app yet since I don't like how there is no demo and you have to commit before you buy it. Though maybe something will come highly recommended.

drummingcraig Jul 24, 2008 11:32 am

Got mine yesterday (had a Gen1 but it broke before the apps were available), and I also downloaded a bunch of goodies (all freebies for now) to play with.

So far I am most impressed with Remote, eBay, AIM and the MySpace apps. Tried a couple of the free weather apps and wasn't too impressed.

I haven't tried any games yet, although that will come before my next travels if not sooner.

I really am impressed with how these all function, and this is only the beginning! :)

Craig

Mikey likes it Jul 24, 2008 1:57 pm

Weatherbug
Pandora
Google
Jott
Hold 'Em ($5)

Mikey likes it Jul 24, 2008 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by adambadam (Post 10089578)
Hello,

So far I really like
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

Just downloaded Shazam. Awesome. For those who aren't familiar with it, you can let Shazam "listen" to a song and it'll figure out what song it is.

ScottC Jul 24, 2008 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Mikey likes it (Post 10091200)
Just downloaded Shazam. Awesome. For those who aren't familiar with it, you can let Shazam "listen" to a song and it'll figure out what song it is.

Been out on WinMo for years :D

jennj99738 Jul 24, 2008 3:26 pm

Urbanscoop is hit or miss, I might say, but the first time I used it, we went to a Japanese restaurant it suggested and had a great meal. The next time, Jamba Juice popped up.

My favorite app so far, and I'm sure there must be more like it, is "Save Benjis." You can enter a upc code from any product and it will search the web to find out what it's going for online. Helpful for larger purchases. It can search by manufacturer, model number also. It doesn't scan the barcode, though, you have to enter it manually but still a very helpful, free program.

I also like Shakespeare, which is the complete folio in one tiny (again free) program, even the sonnets. Nothing like trying to win an argument by quoting Shakespeare!

MichaelColey Jul 25, 2008 12:42 pm

The ones I have installed (all free) are:
  • Bible - great for searching for verses
  • BoxOffice - great for finding showtimes near you
  • Facebook - not that useful
  • Travelocity - nice app, lets you see flight times, schedules, and security wait times
  • LocalPicks - TripAdvisor app to find good restaurants near you.
  • Google - Not that great, but quick access to lots of Google sites.
  • BookSearch - Price comparison for books.
  • Cellfire - Coupons for nearby stores (not much selection, though)
  • Shazam - Identify songs.
  • Flashlight - Use your iPhone as a flashlight.

wiredboy10003 Jul 25, 2008 1:33 pm

AIM, by far. I'm able to chat with a friend who can't really take calls at work. His company encourages it's employees to talk to anyone, especially clients on AIM.

SRQ Guy Jul 25, 2008 2:01 pm

Does he work for AOL?

notsosmart Jul 25, 2008 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC (Post 10091454)
Been out on WinMo for years :D

As has most of this other stuff.

Amazing thing to me is how much everyone is gaga over the iphone when similar devices have been available for years. I had a T-Mobile powerpc thingie in 2003 that did almost everything that my iphone does.

tusphotog Jul 25, 2008 2:08 pm

AIM
Pandora
AOL Radio
Weatherbug

Pandora is quite possibly one of the best applications I have. AIM is great for waiting in airports.

Mikey likes it Jul 25, 2008 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by notsosmart (Post 10096716)
As has most of this other stuff.

Amazing thing to me is how much everyone is gaga over the iphone when similar devices have been available for years. I had a T-Mobile powerpc thingie in 2003 that did almost everything that my iphone does.

Mrgh. PPC when I had one was crashy and had a lousy UI. And the form factor sucked.

YMMV.

ace26 Jul 26, 2008 12:29 pm

Remote - "it just works"
Facebook - only some features, the webapp has the rest
Myspace - better than the web version!!!
Shazam - I don't think people realize just how amazing this is. There will be probably be legal issues with this in the future...
Bloomberg - best designed app so far, incorporating accelerometer. When you rotate, it goes to a full screen chart
Jamd - photo stack feature utilizes multitouch well
Cube Runner - best free game

alanw Jul 27, 2008 3:24 am

There won't be legal issues with Shazam; it's using the licensed Gracenote database. It's also identical to the "Track ID" service that has been included with Sony Ericsson phones for a couple of years now.

I'm pretty disappointed with most of the apps so far. In fact, I think I'd rather go back to the stuff I had on Installer.

Pandora - Sorry, doesn't work in your country.
Last.fm - crashes every time
Hotels.com - LAME, just launches their (non-iphone) web site for the country you're in
TripAdvisor - horrible UI, clunky, odd recommendations
Facebook - OK, but not appreciably different than their excellent web-based iphone app

I miss my Converter, Taskbar Notifier, and location-based apps from Installer.

xmlsoa Jul 27, 2008 3:59 am

Are there any GOOD apps that dont have to necessarily go ONLINE and fetch information from the Internet to be functional.

e.g How Windows Mobile & BB have some apps that are just for OFFLINE use as a PDA. PDA like Tools.