Reload this Page >

[archived] Favorite android application

Old Nov 21, 2009, 6:23 pm
gns
Original Poster

Programs: Dividend Miles

I just got a DROID and am looking for good applications.

Anyone try wikitude? So far it seems intriguing!
Old Nov 22, 2009, 7:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
Oh wow, where to begin? First of all, congrats on getting the DROID. Many of my friends worked super-hard beta testing the software behind it, and so -- though I can't take any credit for this model -- I'm really proud of the phone and also excited about other Android 2.0 phones coming out in the future!

As for apps that I personally love... (and all are free, btw)

TRAVEL-ORIENTED:
- MyTracks for mapping where you walk.
- Tripit, which links to the Tripit.com travel service online.
- Glympse, which lets you send a note to friends and *temporarily* enables them to track your location (great for when you're driving to meet friends)
- Google Latitude: A feature of Google Maps, but you have to turn it on. Super for sharing your location ongoing with a set of trusted friends (and seeing where they are, too).
- Google Sky Map: Just a bit of fun and fascination for checking out the stars and such when you travel, especially if you end up somewhere with a beautiful unobstructed night sky!

OTHER APPS I LOVE:
- Mother Ted: An app that connects you to videos from the inspirational TED conference. Just amazing to watch!
- Shazam: Listens to a song for you and tells you what it is! (artist, title) For use when you're in a bar or a passenger in a car listening to the radio, etc.
- 3banana: Use your Google account to sync notes/photos across computers/phones, etc. Very handy!
- Last.fm and Pandora: Outstanding radio apps! The Pandora mobile app convinced me to pay for a $36/year Pandora membership

Hope that gives you some good starting ideas :-)
Old Nov 23, 2009, 7:38 am

Programs: DL-PM
Shop Savvy is pretty awsome.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 3:29 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Babbler for facebook is GREAT. MUCH better than Facebooks app...
Old Nov 24, 2009, 3:46 am

Programs: VA Flying Club, BA Executive Club, Hyatt Gold Passport, SPG
similar in purpose to MyTracks is Breadcrumbz - picture based navigation and a visual way of marking your trail

ChompSMS is an app to make your SMS appear like that on the iPhone, should you like the way messages are displayed in conversations

Layar is an 'augmented reality' app - real time info about your location using GPS, compass and camera so landmarks, points of interest etc
Old Nov 24, 2009, 7:51 am

Programs: /usr/bin
I'm a new Droid owner too. Here are some of my favs:

SportsTap - Tell it what teams you like and it will alert you with scores, also an app to check scores/rankings/schedules/etc for most sports

WeatherBug - Puts the local temperature in your upper left menubar and sends severe weather alerts, also a great weather app

OI File Manager - Lets you browse the file system and perform common file operations

ConnectBot - an SSH client

Pandora & Slacker - Personalized Internet Radio Players

PDANet - This is huge. It lets you tether your droid to a computer and use the android device's data. (Warning: This is a bit of a grey area in terms of your service agreement. Don't use a boatload of data using PDANet if you do decide to use it)
Old Nov 28, 2009, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, Hyatt PLT, Marriott PLT
Outlook Calendar Sync

Is there an ap to sync my Outlook calendar entries with my Droid?
Old Nov 28, 2009, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skiermsm
Is there an ap to sync my Outlook calendar entries with my Droid?
http://www.google.com/support/calend...n&answer=89955

That'll sync Outlook with your Google calendar, which syncs automatically with your Droid.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by gt_croz
PDANet - This is huge. It lets you tether your droid to a computer and use the android device's data. (Warning: This is a bit of a grey area in terms of your service agreement. Don't use a boatload of data using PDANet if you do decide to use it)
PDANet is PC only. The Mac equivalent seems to be based on creating a VPN tunnel and is described here. Of course, I would never violate the TOS, so it won't be the very first thing I'll setup on my Droid when it arrives Monday.

Incidentally, has anyone been burned by the bugs (e.g. camera & voice dialing problems) that are supposed to be fixed by the December 11th Droid update?
Old Nov 29, 2009, 9:59 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, Hyatt PLT, Marriott PLT
Outlook/Droid Calendar and Contact Sync

Thanks Scott. I am actually looking for a way to bypass Google for that sync. I want to secure my contact information and want to keep in on my local PC and Droid without uploading it to a web site. Since the Droid has a sync cable, I think there should be a way to transfer directly to the Droid.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 8:29 pm

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
SNAPTELL:
Snap a picture or a barcode and find more information about the product
Old Dec 18, 2009, 10:30 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
I don't recall which ones came with the phone v which ones I downloaded. But the ones I use the most are:

Advanced Task Manager
Better Cut
Compass
Documents to Go Full Version
Google Sky Map
GPS Status
iMap Weather
Google Maps
AP Mobile
Bank of America Mobile Banking
MotoTorch LED
Power Manager
Radar Now
Smart Monitor
Toggle Screen Timeout
Ultimate Stopwatch
WeatherBug Elite
Wifi Analyzer
WiFi OnOff
WiFinder
Old Dec 22, 2009, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Shoutcast Radio ....Instant Sirius Replacement

since im paying mthly for the data plan, might as well plug my phone into my car stereo and use Shoutcast to play TONS of radio statons that even XM/Sirius cant match (Energy 98 my favorite)
Old Jan 6, 2010, 4:15 pm

K-9 Mail
ChopSMS
Dolphin Browser
Google Voice - Best by far.
Google Goggles
Old Jan 8, 2010, 4:18 pm

Programs: most of them
The kayak app is pretty nice. It has a flight status tracker, the usual trip searches, and US contact numbers for pretty much every airline that directly link to your phone dialer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.