[archived] Favorite iPhone/iPad applications

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[archived] Favorite iPhone/iPad applications

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2008, 8:04 pm

Free VPN for iPhone

Not an app per se but thought it worthy to mention.

AnchorFree offers free VPN for iPhone - read Glenn Fleishman's article here:
http://db.tidbits.com/article/9881

And AnchorFree's Hotspot Shield here: http://hotspotshield.com/clientless/iphone/
Old Dec 5, 2008, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
OPENTABLE App is now available on iPhone. Works like a charm so far. It uses location services to find restaurants near you with availability. Easy and quick.

Latest new apps I've been playing with:
TapDefense (free game)
Wolfgang's Vault (free streaming concert archive)
Livestrong (free calorie counter/exercise log with some stability problems)
Old Dec 6, 2008, 9:53 am

I also found useful:

iwant (written up in ny times couple of weeks ago - really works well)
gasbag
currency
Old Jan 21, 2009, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
So far my favorites are:

Lux Touch (Free Game)
FreeMemory ($0.99 app that frees up runtime memory without resetting the iPhone)
Shazam
Edge Browser (free full-screen browser)

Edge is really promising in particular, because it allows full screen browsing. the only problem is that you cna only set it to open one URL. there's no way to open the address bar from within the browser. If they add that functionality, it'll be the only browser I use on iPhone. Currently I use Edge for Flyertalk, because the Flyertalk forums are so easily navigable from within the site and it's the site I do the most reading and scrolling on.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy

FreeMemory ($0.99 app that frees up runtime memory without resetting the iPhone)
Does this actually work? I have been having lots of apps crashing on me as of late and I usually have to restart the phone every couple days to make it hold off. I know it is the OS and not the app since even some of Apples apps keep crashing ( to Safari)
Old Jan 21, 2009, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adambadam
Does this actually work? I have been having lots of apps crashing on me as of late and I usually have to restart the phone every couple days to make it hold off. I know it is the OS and not the app since even some of Apples apps keep crashing ( to Safari)
It's worked for me so far. It gives you a ~20MB increase in available runtime memory by closing up unused apps that didn't release their memory.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 4:59 pm

Does this actually work?
not really.
I have been having lots of apps crashing on me as of late and I usually have to restart the phone every couple days to make it hold off. I know it is the OS and not the app since even some of Apples apps keep crashing ( to Safari)
apple's apps are like any other app and if they crash, it's the app's fault. on the other hand, if the phone itself locks up, freezes, etc. it's the os.

there are a lot of apps that crash, including ones from apple. nothing is perfect. safari has gotten better but it still crashes on occasion, mainly due to it being fed nonstandard html.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 5:05 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Favorite Apps

I use an I touch
Sol Free - Solitaire. Real time waster and free
Pandora - start with your favorite obscure song
The Weather Channel

Trouble with Urban Spoon is that it only works in the US. Tried to use it in San Miguel Allende without luck

I loved surfing while on the First Class ETN Bus in Mexico from Guanajuato to Guadalajara. The bus had free WIFI. So awesome to be chatting with friends from the middle of nowhere.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
My Faves. They are all free!

21 Pro Blackjack
AOL Radio
AstroTilt
Aurora feint the beginning (Very addictive)
Check Please
One Tap
Tris (no longer available)
Where
WiFinder
Old Jan 31, 2009, 10:29 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Pageonce
SimCity
EasyWriter
FlightStats

So many more things available after having jailbroken!
Old Jan 31, 2009, 11:24 am

Programs: UA; Amtrak
Trailguru - records your travel path including time stopped vs. moving, distance, speed, and elevation change, and lets you draw your tracks on a Google map. As its name implies, it was originally geared to hikers, but works perfectly well for cycling, jogging, or just driving around town.

Air Sharing - makes it easy to transfer files, and lets me store and read PDFs of things like train schedules without having to go online.

For the jailbroken:

PDAnet - allows you to tether a laptop via an ad-hoc wireless network or the USB cable (the latter requires some software be installed on the laptop).

SBSettings - quick access to phone settings; just swiping your finger across the top of the screen lets you turn on/off 3G, Bluetooth, WiFi, and so on; adjust brightness, or restart; and see your IP address, free disk space, etc. Faster access than BossPrefs, although unlike the latter you cannot shut off push to individual e-mail accounts.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just added Full-Screen Browser. It's like the previous Edge browser, except you can shake the iphone to bring up navigation buttons and address bar.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Flight Status - Shows you Arrival and Departure times of a particular flight, check on all flights on a certain route and also you can check arrivals for a airport for a time frame specified. Very handy for the frequent traveler.

Next flight - Does what its says. Lets you know the next flight and if its on time.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 1:08 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by lallyr
Flight Status - Shows you Arrival and Departure times of a particular flight, check on all flights on a certain route and also you can check arrivals for a airport for a time frame specified. Very handy for the frequent traveler.
If that's a pay app, it doesn't sound like it does any more than what you can do for free via mobile.flightstats.com

Originally Posted by choster
PDAnet - allows you to tether a laptop via an ad-hoc wireless network or the USB cable (the latter requires some software be installed on the laptop).
Agree. Fantastic app that "just works." I had their version for the Treo and am very happy with the iphone version.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Safari is problematic. I have found that holding the Home button down forces a hard close. Makes sure it doesn't continue hogging memory. I have found if I do that occasionally, it never seems to crash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.