Reload this Page >

[archived] Favorite iPhone/iPad applications

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[archived] Favorite iPhone/iPad applications

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2008, 4:14 pm

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Originally Posted by stimpy
Are you sure? I've installed several other applications that were not normally in Installer, simply by telling Installer the source URL. Fring is one example. What is the "Installer Repository"?
Installer is a package manager. It contains pointers to where pre-made packages of software are located. A collection of those packages is called a repository. You were able to install Fring because Fring created an Installer repository for 1.x users.

If Google doesn't publish a repository, here's what's involved:
1) Someone's got to get the application files (and bear in mind that 1.x apps don't migrate neatly to 2.x, so the same may be the case going backwards)
2) They've got to create a package in Installer.app format.
3) They've got to get it added to a repo.

And, bear in mind that someone other than Google who does step 1 is most likely violating Google's license agreements.

Just out of curiousity, why aren't you running 2.x? If you've got a 1G iPhone, it can still be jailbroken and SIM-unlocked, the App Store kill switch can be neutered, etc.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by bdjohns1
Just out of curiousity, why aren't you running 2.x? If you've got a 1G iPhone, it can still be jailbroken and SIM-unlocked, the App Store kill switch can be neutered, etc.
I would need to double check to make sure all my apps will work on 2.0 (Fring, BiteSMS, etc). And I didn't know there was an App Store kill switch? I am very happy with my Iphone as it is. I don't really see any over-riding need to upgrade. The Safari browser isn't any better in 2.0. Maybe if they get Flash and Java working well in a future release I might switch.

I'll look into it. What is a good tool for upgrading? Does Ziphone do it all for 2.0?
Old Oct 28, 2008, 1:35 am

I would need to double check to make sure all my apps will work on 2.0 (Fring, BiteSMS, etc). And I didn't know there was an App Store kill switch? I am very happy with my Iphone as it is. I don't really see any over-riding need to upgrade. The Safari browser isn't any better in 2.0. Maybe if they get Flash and Java working well in a future release I might switch.
some of the jailbreak apps now exist on the apps store and most of the rest have updated for 2.x firmware. you'll probably find that not only have the apps you use been updated, but there are now several apps that do the same or similar things. for instance, for voip, there is fring, truphone and pennytel.

I'll look into it. What is a good tool for upgrading? Does Ziphone do it all for 2.0?
pwnage. download the iphone 2.1 firmware and run pwnage on it to generate an unlocked and/or jailbroken firmware image, and then flash the ipod in itunes. it's easy and much, much safer than using ziphone.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 7:21 am

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Does Ziphone do it all for 2.0?
I'd recommend staying away from ZiPhone - PwnageTool and QuickPwn are more robust solutions. See:

http://linuxoniphone.blogspot.com/20...s-between.html

Basically, ZiPhone's techniques are more fragile, while the Pwnage methods basically leverage Apple's own firmware flashing methods - short of hardware changes (which have slowed the process for jailbreaking the new version of the iPod Touch), Apple can't stop jailbreak of current iPhone hardware.

In you case, since you haven't upgraded to 2.1 yet, PwnageTool is the one you want to use. As pdxer said, here's the basic process to follow:

1) Have iTunes download the 2.1 firmware (but don't install it)
2) Exit iTunes, open PwnageTool, and follow the prompts to create a modified firmware
3) Flash the new firmware as directed by the tool.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:24 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Agreed! I was even looking a *famous* restaurant in Brentwood on Google Earth.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
IF I had an iPhone and IF I had a Sonos, it would HAVE to be the new, free Sonos Controller app for the iPhone.

Now I want both! ^
Old Oct 30, 2008, 11:09 am

Trapster (Free)

Clever use of iPhone's GPS capabilities:

Trapster® users share the location of police speed traps by a simply clicking their mobile phones. The system uses the phone's GPS capabilities and the Internet to instantly alert other users as they approach the reported trap.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I like the Say Who voice dialer that is free. It works pretty well and much better than fumbling through contact list in the car while on my headset.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just bought my second app ever. I bought EasyWriter Pro. It adds the landscape functionality that should have been in the email app from the start. Now if it could only do text messages as well. There is a free lite EasyWriter too if one wants to try it out.

Other more utility style apps I like:
Scribble
Say Who
Say Where
Recorder
AOL Radio
Tip
Wikipanion
The Weather Channel
Weatherbug
Now Playing
AirSharing
Old Nov 14, 2008, 10:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
UrbanSpoon changed my trip to ABQ this week, from something where I'm either staying at the hotel to eat or eat in chains to eating at some half-decent local places. The locals were shocked that I was able to find these places. Had a dinner at both Artichoke Cafe, another at Saggio's; completely different spectrums, but both gave me a vibe and mix with locals. ABQ doesn't seem so bad now after all.

I was playing with GoogleEarth last night, after we landed at PHX. It was amazing the detail it goes to. I was tracking our plane as we approached the exact gate (T4, A4. Although the images aren't live, you could see planes at the gate....the guy at the window (I was in aisle, middle vacant) was really amazed.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aztimm
UrbanSpoon changed my trip to ABQ this week, from something where I'm either staying at the hotel to eat or eat in chains to eating at some half-decent local places. The locals were shocked that I was able to find these places. Had a dinner at both Artichoke Cafe, another at Saggio's; completely different spectrums, but both gave me a vibe and mix with locals. ABQ doesn't seem so bad now after all.

I was playing with GoogleEarth last night, after we landed at PHX. It was amazing the detail it goes to. I was tracking our plane as we approached the exact gate (T4, A4. Although the images aren't live, you could see planes at the gate....the guy at the window (I was in aisle, middle vacant) was really amazed.
I assume you use Yelp too. I find the Yelp app is not so great. Using Safari and the Yelp mobile pages seem to be better.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
A couple more favorites:
  • Trace
  • New google app with voice search
  • Ultimate countdown - Simple but fun multiplayer game
  • Lux Touch -- Fun though gets easy once you get the hang
Old Nov 18, 2008, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adambadam
A couple more favorites:
  • Trace
  • New google app with voice search
  • Ultimate countdown - Simple but fun multiplayer game
  • Lux Touch -- Fun though gets easy once you get the hang
Didn't know the Google app now has voice search. Will try it out again. Trace is fun. Lux Touch is fun but easy to figure out how to win again easily (hint: secure a continent then go kill over competitors to win their army cards).
Old Nov 18, 2008, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CApreppie
Didn't know the Google app now has voice search. Will try it out again.
The voice search just came out. Very cool. Still a little finicky...
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:26 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Originally Posted by nerd
Still a little finicky...
From www.news.com.au :

Google voice search on iPhone confused by Aussie accents

Users down under have noticed searches for the word "iPhone" can return pages of results for "priceline", "mustang" or simply a message saying "try again."

The number eight becomes a search for "ike", seven turns into "Clinton", and don't even try searching for the number six.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.