Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Devices in Airplane Mode...

Devices in Airplane Mode...

Old Jul 7, 2008, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Turkish go so far as to say in their in-flight magazine that even phones in 'flight mode' are not allowed - they have to be completely off.

BA, on the other hand, say in their safety video "if your device has a flight mode, activate it now". Much better.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:04 pm

Wirelessly posted (bb: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Originally Posted by AlanInDC
Originally Posted by baroqueboy
In my experience, FAs seem to be quite knowledgeable as to how to check LAPTOPS to make sure the WiFi is turned off, and indeed I am only asked to show my WiFi settings about half the time I fly. So no problems there.
Really? Wow. I use my laptop on about 50% of my segments and I have never been asked about the WiFi setting on it. Though I probably should be asked, as I never bother to disable it. I know; I'm a bad person.
Bad, bad person! :-D
How have you managed not to make any planes crash?
Old Jul 8, 2008, 4:59 am

Of course, this point is rather moot since the presence of inflight wifi on a growing number of flights demonstrates that this is not a problem.

With iPhones it is interesting, because it seems that stewardess alarm bells go off when you are typing into the units. It appears that people have not been hassled when using it as an mp3 machine, watching videos, or playing a game.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 9:59 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Of course, this point is rather moot since the presence of inflight wifi on a growing number of flights demonstrates that this is not a problem.

With iPhones it is interesting, because it seems that stewardess alarm bells go off when you are typing into the units. It appears that people have not been hassled when using it as an mp3 machine, watching videos, or playing a game.
How do they tell the current iPhone apart from the iPod Touch?
Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:40 am

I'm not sure, but a Touch has wifi and e-mail. You could argue that the distinction is irrelevant if you don't recognize flight mode.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1P, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I'm not sure, but a Touch has wifi and e-mail. You could argue that the distinction is irrelevant if you don't recognize flight mode.
They look slightly different, the touch is thinner. Does the touch even have airplane mode?

I would let the FA have it if they said that I couldn't use my iPhone in Airplane Mode!
Old Jul 9, 2008, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by njmcgreg
They look slightly different, the touch is thinner. Does the touch even have airplane mode?

I would let the FA have it if they said that I couldn't use my iPhone in Airplane Mode!
The Touch doesn't specifically have an airplane setting. You have to go into the "Settings" section and turn the WiFi off. I keep getting hassled about it when I bring my Touch to my chemo sessions. They say no cell phones in that part of the hospital, but the doctors all have theirs on, like most pilots I've seen. I guess they buy their cell phone at a special store.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
Nothing will deplete a cell phone battery faster than leaving it on in flight.

You see, the phone is continuously trying to lock onto a cell site, and it uses power to do it. It can't lock to a site, of course, because at cruising altitude, the airplane is "out of sight" of the cell towers, which are engineered with horizontal antenna patterns to save their own power.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.