Reload this Page >

VPN / Firewall Conflict?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VPN / Firewall Conflict?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2008, 6:17 pm

Anything in the firewall log? (is the log enabled to log blocked incoming and outgoing connections, if they have that feature? If not, you may want to at least temporarily try a different firewall to help diagnose the problem, if it is a firewall issue. Even if it isn't, this would eliminate it as part of the problem.)

-David
Old Mar 9, 2008, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I deactivated the firewall completely for my tests. Apparently, it's not a firewall issue.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 7:10 pm

ok, it's right there in the post above mine, but I still missed it.

-David
Old Mar 9, 2008, 10:32 pm

What protocol are you using for your VPN?

Also, what VPN client/server are you using?

Did you try the registry changes?

Last edited by sdsvtdriver; Mar 9, 2008 at 10:42 pm
Old Mar 9, 2008, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsvtdriver
What protocol are you using for your VPN?
IPsec.

Also, what VPN client/server are you using?
FortiClient for the client, and a Linksys BEFVP41 router for the server.

Did you try the registry changes?
I did. Microsoft specifies two different settings, and I tried both.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 4:32 am

Let's try this simple experiment.

Can you attempt to connect to your home VPN from work using the computer on the move profile instead of computer on domain and post the results?
Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Let's try this simple experiment.

Can you attempt to connect to your home VPN from work using the computer on the move profile instead of computer on domain and post the results?
It works in the "computer in domain" profile, doesn't work in the "computer on the move" profile. What's odd is, yesterday, it didn't work when I disabled the firewall completely.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by PTravel
It works in the "computer in domain" profile, doesn't work in the "computer on the move" profile. What's odd is, yesterday, it didn't work when I disabled the firewall completely.
With that said, we can safely assume that the issue is not with IP addressing, blocked ports in public hot-spots, etc. It's the profile settings.

I'd wager that you would not experience an issue at a public wifi with 'computer in domain' profile selected, however I'm not going to ask you to attempt due to risk.

Is there a way for you to dump the config files for both profiles for review?
Old Mar 12, 2008, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

With that said, we can safely assume that the issue is not with IP addressing, blocked ports in public hot-spots, etc. It's the profile settings.

I'd wager that you would not experience an issue at a public wifi with 'computer in domain' profile selected, however I'm not going to ask you to attempt due to risk.

Is there a way for you to dump the config files for both profiles for review?
I don't have anyway to access AVG's config files. I'm considering dumping AVG altogether and trying another firewall -- I'm experimenting with Comodo on a couple of my machines at home but, so far, I'm not impressed.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by PTravel
I don't have anyway to access AVG's config files. I'm considering dumping AVG altogether and trying another firewall -- I'm experimenting with Comodo on a couple of my machines at home but, so far, I'm not impressed.
I would suspect that the pubilc wifi profile is blocking the ports needed for windows file sharing.

http://www.petri.co.il/what's_port_445_in_w2k_xp_2003.htm

specifically

If the client has NetBT enabled, it will always try to connect to the server at both port 139 and 445 simultaneously. If there is a response from port 445, it sends a RST to port 139, and continues it's SMB session to port 445 only. If there is no response from port 445, it will continue it's SMB session to port 139 only, if it gets a response from there. If there is no response from either of the ports, the session will fail completely.
Try allowing traffic on ports 445 and/or 139 and see what your results are.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I would suspect that the pubilc wifi profile is blocking the ports needed for windows file sharing.

http://www.petri.co.il/what's_port_445_in_w2k_xp_2003.htm

specifically

Try allowing traffic on ports 445 and/or 139 and see what your results are.
Will do. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.