Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Online flight search for mobile browsers

Old Feb 1, 2008, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

There are times when I'm on the go that I need to look up the various flight connections from one city to another on my mobile phone.

What are your favourite sites to search for flights that are easy to use from a mobile browser?
Old Feb 2, 2008, 3:37 pm

Programs: SK*G & Centurion
Wirelessly posted (Nokia E61i: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.10031/230; U; en))

On my Nokia E61i, I'm pretty much able to do everything I want to do online using Opera mini. This includes everything from online banking to browsing FT!
Old Feb 11, 2008, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA1P - Hilton Diamond
There are a few ways...

As Robbiedeluxe mentioned, you can use your phone's browser and go to places like mobile.google.com and type "UA 835"... this will give you a flight status. Or you could go to a carrier's own mobile version.

If you want to see avail connections from different airlines at once, I believe that getting a software like Mobimate WorldMate could be the best choice.

Lastly, if your phone is limited, you could always send a text message to GOOGLE (466453) with a string like UA 836. You will get a text message back within a few seconds.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 4:13 pm

I use mobile.flightstats.com . Has everything that I'm looking for while on the go.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 9:54 pm

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
Originally Posted by mikes4
I use mobile.flightstats.com . Has everything that I'm looking for while on the go.
Simply one of the BEST, if no the best

as back-ups to it , I sometimes use mtravel.com and\or mobile.orbitz.com

and depending on which phone you have there are some good stand alone apps as well. Flight Status for Palm is invaluable. Also be sure to check out the sticky at the top of this forum, Best WAP sights for PDAS
Old Feb 11, 2008, 10:49 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by malap
As Robbiedeluxe mentioned, you can use your phone's browser and go to places like mobile.google.com and type "UA 835"... this will give you a flight status. Or you could go to a carrier's own mobile version.
That's not at all what Robbiedeluxe said.

He said use OperaMini, and you can browse pretty much anywhere, just like you use your PC!

And he's right. I can even check in online on my standard (not smart) phone, with AA and UA! Using OperaMini. it's an awesome browser. ^

With OperaMini, you don't have to worry about finding the 'mobile' version of a site, 95% of the time.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Feb 11, 2008 at 10:54 pm
Old Feb 12, 2008, 8:11 am

Programs: United MP
I prefer mobile versions of sites due to their simplicity.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 9:10 am

Programs: UA1P - Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; Smartphone; 240x320) Opera 8.65 [en])

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
That's not at all what Robbiedeluxe said.

He said use OperaMini, and you can browse pretty much anywhere, just like you use your PC!

And he's right. I can even check in online on my standard (not smart) phone, with AA and UA! Using OperaMini. it's an awesome browser. ^

With OperaMini, you don't have to worry about finding the 'mobile' version of a site, 95% of the time.
I will give Opera Mini a shot... but if someone has a standard cell phone, what about their very small screen estate? I assume that some non-mobile sites will look quite strange, whether you use Opera Mini or not.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 9:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold
Best Browser for Blackberry

I have a TMO BB Curve and I am looking for full internet capabilities like the internet on the Iphone. Is this possible? I've downloaded Opera Mini and it really doesnt work well at all.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 1:43 pm

Programs: SK*G & Centurion
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; Smartphone; 240x320) Opera 8.65 [en])
I assume that some non-mobile sites will look quite strange, whether you use Opera Mini or not.
Opera mini has two ways of displaying websites; the regular "desktop-like" view, where all websites are compressed so that they look just like if you were browsing the internet on your computer (besides having to zoom in and out to view the different "parts" of the website -- as seen on some of the very first iPhone commercials) - then there's the "mobile view", where Opera automatically applies a customized style sheet document and removes all unnecessary graphics, so the website will look like a WAP/mobile site.

I'd suggest you look into these features and choose whatever is best for your wireless device. I've found that using the regular "destop-like" mode while enabling image quality reduction to be the best option for my Nokia E61i.

PS: It wouldn't surprise me if Opera Software gets acquired by a huge IT corporation anytime soon...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.