Wiki Posts
Search

How do I get a computer replaced?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2008, 11:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

How do I get a computer replaced?

Last Feb I bought an HP notebook computer. Worked great until the fall when the video card started fumbling. I would turn on the computer but no display; initially it was intermittent but eventually it was all the time - back to HP the computer went and the motherboard was replaced.

Less than 4 weeks after the computer came back, the same thing started happening again. I called HP and they said no problem, we will repair it again - please send it back. So off it goes.

Today HP let me know the repair is delayed again. They have already had it close to 4 weeks, and now their voicemail tells me 2 more. Last fall they had it for 4 weeks and I only got it back after emailing Hurd's office and complaining. Of course I have emailed his office again but this time instead of saying I want it fixed, I said I want it replaced.

How can I increase the chances of getting the computer fixed? This is pure BS. I need a computer and cannot continue to wait for HP - plus I am not overly confident that it will actually be repaired to my satisfaction again.

Thoughts?

Merci,
MapleLeaf
Old Feb 6, 2008, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
I agree that there should be a way they will replace it instead of just "fixing" it. However, to be more certain that you always have a working PC, you should buy a 2nd one. Set up the software image pretty much the same, and keep a current data backup on a removable hard drive.

Then hopefully you'll always have one that's working. This is the voice of experience talking.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You do what the Consumerist.com suggests; launch an ECB (executive carpet bomb).

Essentially you find every email address you can from HP execs and email them with your complaint and demand a fix. CC the email to Consumerist.com and any other media outlet you want.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 11:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
You do what the Consumerist.com suggests; launch an ECB (executive carpet bomb).

Essentially you find every email address you can from HP execs and email them with your complaint and demand a fix. CC the email to Consumerist.com and any other media outlet you want.
Great idea but how do I find their email addresses? A quick search on google didn't prove to be of much use.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 5:24 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
At any site, Investor Relations is your friend
http://h30261.www3.hp.com/phoenix.zh...&p=irol-irhome

Note the format of the email addresses, then get the officers list, and start trying.

And make sure you send to the Investor Relations people too, prominently cc'ed to a consumer help line or two.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the Consumerist:

You know, we're starting to get the feeling that Lorraine might like her laptop back. We suggest she try calling HP to complain. If her laptop is stuck in repair limbo over there, they might be able to help her get it back. Call: +1-650-857-1501, ask for Mark Hurd's office.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K!, NWA PE
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf
Last Feb I bought an HP notebook computer. Worked great until the fall when the video card started fumbling. I would turn on the computer but no display; initially it was intermittent but eventually it was all the time - back to HP the computer went and the motherboard was replaced.

Less than 4 weeks after the computer came back, the same thing started happening again. I called HP and they said no problem, we will repair it again - please send it back. So off it goes.

Today HP let me know the repair is delayed again. They have already had it close to 4 weeks, and now their voicemail tells me 2 more. Last fall they had it for 4 weeks and I only got it back after emailing Hurd's office and complaining. Of course I have emailed his office again but this time instead of saying I want it fixed, I said I want it replaced.

How can I increase the chances of getting the computer fixed? This is pure BS. I need a computer and cannot continue to wait for HP - plus I am not overly confident that it will actually be repaired to my satisfaction again.

Thoughts?

Merci,
MapleLeaf
HP is a mess. My girlfriend has a DV9000 that has been back twice. Both times for a month; both times for the same problem - video card and wireless issues. The simple fact is, and this was confirmed by HP, is that they are waiting for parts to come from China because so many defects are out there.

What a mess. My advice is get it back, dump it on ebay, and get a Thinkpad or Mac or some other machine that isn't a disaster.

Another little nugget... if you return it 3 times, you get a refund (or a new junker). The third time is a charm.

Last edited by mjo768; Feb 6, 2008 at 9:50 pm Reason: Clarification.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA1P - Hilton Diamond
Salut Mapleleaf,

As an ex-HP employee working in support for a few years, I can tell you that there is always a way to get things done faster and better; the first option given by support is often the easiest one for them to perform.

The email carpet bomb may be a good avenue. Note that 99% of HP employees' email format is [email protected].

Did you try escalatng this issue via the regular avenue? For example, you call the usual # (which will likely forward you to an India or Costa Rica response center). But then, start asking to "escalate" your case. This term is widely used at HP (and in many other companies). For each support team, there is a dedicated Escalation Manager. The first EM you will talk to will likely be useless. If you state your case politely and remain calm, it is possible to ask him/her to escalate the call further. Note that often there are at least 3 levels of support within HP. Once you get to the top level (may take a day or two - callbacks, etc.), your chances of getting what you want are much higher.

HTH.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 8:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I did try escalating my case and went up the food chain a couple of layers - the response was "we can take as long as we want to fix your computer, sorry we make no service delivery guarantees"

A carpet bomb has been sent to 6 of the 8 executives (the other 2 bounced back) with a copy to consumerist. I will resend the bomb every day until I get a response. One of the exec's had an out of office reply which gave her mobile number to call if it is an emergency I love it.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 10:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Wow that was fast, less than 1.5 hrs after sending my carpet bomb email Mark Hurd's office called me and told me a new computer is being sent out to me. I should receive it Monday.

New model, more memory, faster processor, built-in webcam etc.

Thank you for the suggestions and the help.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 11:54 am

Wow that was fast, less than 1.5 hrs after sending my carpet bomb email Mark Hurd's office called me and told me a new computer is being sent out to me. I should receive it Monday.

New model, more memory, faster processor, built-in webcam etc.

Thank you for the suggestions and the help.
Great news! Well, I will definitely try the carpet bomb next time instead of going up the chain... I guess things have changed a lot at HP since I left 5 years ago.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 12:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by malap
Great news! Well, I will definitely try the carpet bomb next time instead of going up the chain... I guess things have changed a lot at HP since I left 5 years ago.
Haha about 20 minutes ago they delivered my old, now repaired computer. I spoke to the guy in Hurd's office and he said when my new one comes, send the repaired one back, at their expense, and just keep the new one Nice.

Now, I had upgraded the RAM on my computer, do I take the upgrades out and put back in standard HP memory or do I leave it in there, given I am being given a new system with more memory to begin with?

Decisions... decisions...
Old Feb 9, 2008, 7:09 am

Haha about 20 minutes ago they delivered my old, now repaired computer. I spoke to the guy in Hurd's office and he said when my new one comes, send the repaired one back, at their expense, and just keep the new one Nice.

Now, I had upgraded the RAM on my computer, do I take the upgrades out and put back in standard HP memory or do I leave it in there, given I am being given a new system with more memory to begin with?

Decisions... decisions...
You better take the RAM you purchased! You paid for it, so it's yours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.