Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Any way to stop/block SPAM text messages?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2008, 8:46 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'
Original Poster

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum

I keep getting these annoying SPAM messages via SMS on my phone. No biggie as it won't cost me any extra money, but it's just annoying.

The return numbers are just four digits like "3700", so I'm not sure where it'll go if I reply. I'm wondering if it's coming through aol IM?

Any advice from the pros?
Old Jan 24, 2008, 8:57 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted by g_leyser
I keep getting these annoying SPAM messages via SMS on my phone. No biggie as it won't cost me any extra money, but it's just annoying.

The return numbers are just four digits like "3700", so I'm not sure where it'll go if I reply. I'm wondering if it's coming through aol IM?

Any advice from the pros?
check your carriers website. alltel, who i have, has you send a text to 8888, with B[phone number] to block, as an example. you can also block website by doing it online
Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
ATT has a great online system for blocking messages, domains, or queing them up to view online instead of as SMS. They will also remove charges if you call them. I have unlimited texts, but it IS getting quite annoying. Not sure why/when it started
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:46 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'
Original Poster

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I have T-Mobile. I just searched high and low on their website and couldn't find anything. Any other suggestions?
Old Jan 24, 2008, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by g_leyser
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I have T-Mobile. I just searched high and low on their website and couldn't find anything. Any other suggestions?
http://support.t-mobile.com/knowbase...ic/tm23533.htm
Old Jan 27, 2008, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
T-Mobile SPAM Texts

Jerry -

I also have T-Mobile for my Blackberry account, and do not use texting. It seems that T-Mobile is the only carrier with the inability to turn off texting. They claim it's used for voice mail and other mandatory services.

I've been having a ongoing, multi-day email discussion with Customer Care, and they have so far been most unhelpful. They are refusing to refund 30 cents on my account. I will continue with the daily email, until they give in, even if it needs to reach the CEO for that to happen. Each time they respond costs way more than 30 cents, a small consolation prize.

I also did some additional research - a simple Google search on "T-mobile SPAM text messages" yields many pages of results. There is a law firm organizing a class action suit, which you might want to take a look at (link: http://www.hbsslaw.com/TMobile_investigation.htm).

This is apparently only an issue for T-Mobile, not the other carriers. While there is a way to create filters, it won't work for SMS, only messages sent to your tmo email address.

So, anyone out there with T-Mobile and lots of SPAM text, join the investigation cited above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.