Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Buying mobile phone in Singapore or Bangkok?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying mobile phone in Singapore or Bangkok?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles
Absolute cheapest way if you have tech. skills to get one subsidized from a carrier in the West and unlock it yourself so you can use it both (in GSM mode if it has both).

Other way is to buy it online locally and get a 900/1800 phone (absolute cheapest) 2G GSM phone or quad-band phone and you can use it in the US/Canada/Americas upon insertion of a AT&T/T-Mobile SIM card.

If you want 3G (UMTS/HSPA+) you want 2100MHz abroad and 850/1900 added for Americas and 900 added for similar to Americas (Europe) for in-building low-band coverage.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 6:08 am

Will is right, best bet is craigslist or eBay for a quad-band or 3G phone, many can be had for under $100 delivered. Make sure it's unlocked and you're good to go....
Old Nov 12, 2011, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Merlin666
I will be travelling to Bangkok and Hongkong and thought that rather than starting a new thread I'll bring this one back for updates. So, how would Hongkong compare to Singapore and Bangkok, and where would one go to get an unlocked phone that will work well in North America (Canada)?
Depends what you're looking for. A quad band phone will work in the US as well as Asia. But 3G is different depending on where you are (same in Thailand as in the US, but different in Europe). So if you expect to use data on it, you need to research which bands it offers and which bands you'd need at home. That's where phones differ a lot, and quad-band doesn't tell the whole story.

Also, look out for copy phones. I was looking for a Nokia N8 in Thailand, and they had loads of them, cheaply. I played around with one. It looked identical to an N8, until you realized it had a resistive screen and crap camera. Loads of Iphone copy phones too. They run Windows CE!!!! I think there's an Iphone lookalike running Android that's probably out now too..
Old Nov 21, 2011, 6:01 am

You can prefer both palce,actually now all phone are avilavle online,so it is not a issue where to bye phone .you can bye from any online shop.
Before this you have to care of some points:
• Check and cross check rates
• Read the policies and terms of the website
• Prefer cash on delivery

http://www.shopbychoice.com/mobile-phones

http://www.ebay.com/electronics/cell-phone-pda

http://www.amazon.com/cell-phones-se...ode=2335752011

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.