Wiki Posts
Search

Best place to set-up free website

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2007, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Best place to set-up free website

Thanks to recommendations on this forum a while back I was successfully able to start a blog on Blogger (Blogspot). It has been wonderful in that it is free, there is no advertising, and it is pretty easy to set up and maintain. It does have occasional tech problems but very rarely so what great advice that was a while back. I am looking for a fully functioning website that is similar. Not a MySpace or anything like that. My feeling is that 100% free does not exist and I would bet most have the hosts advertising on your page. Any suggestions?
Old Dec 17, 2007, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it's going to be similar and it's worked for you already, what functionality is missing from blogspot.com that you would like in the new website?
Old Dec 17, 2007, 1:31 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
I am not the OP but I have need of this info too. I am looking to put up a web site for Cow Do that is more than just the forum postings. Nothing outlandish but cheap/free would be best as its just to make our lives easier as we continue to plan the annual event and some of the restaurants remain the same.

So if anyone knows of a good and preferably free host I'd like to hear it too.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

The blog has given me a lot and I am happy but I feel I have way too much static information on the side bars. I would like to move the info to a web page and open up the blog a bit to make it less cluttered. Maybe I can do it on blogger but knowing the best, easiest and most inexpensive website would be nice.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 1:55 pm

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
I really like using "content management systems" which is a facny term for the software runs sites and gives you a friendly front end for adding posts, forums, content, etc.

While I really understand the motovation to find something free, you'll find an exponentially larger world at the $10/month price point (which you can often pre-pay). I am using A2hosting.com (as suggested on 43folders.com) and have been very happy (I've used plenty of others). One of the best features is something called "Fantastico" (not a propritary thing) that allows you to install any number of free Content Management Systems, forum systems, blog systems, etc.

In terms of CMS I'm partial to Joomla but it has a steep learning curve. Drupal is also very nice and is more approachable. You'll also find a lot of people who like wordpress.

That brings me to the free options. You might be able to search for free drupal or joomla accounts, but I dont know about any. I do know that wordpress will give free hosted accounts that are fairly flexable.

Using a CMS like wordress or drupal will open up a lot more options than blogger. Although I agree with the idea that Blogger may be able to fit your needs. Perhaps just a 2nd account that you can link to/from...
Old Dec 17, 2007, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by westcoastman
The blog has given me a lot and I am happy but I feel I have way too much static information on the side bars. I would like to move the info to a web page and open up the blog a bit to make it less cluttered. Maybe I can do it on blogger but knowing the best, easiest and most inexpensive website would be nice.
Maybe there is simply a different Blogger Template out there that you could leverage.

I'm just thinking here since you said you liked the ease of it, plus FREE is key.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 2:47 pm

You might want to check out Microsoft Office Live Basics version. I helped a friend set up a reunion site and she now has about 20 web pages set up. No HTML or coding experience is needed. Microsoft will register the URL for you( regular type url of your choice... www. xyz.com ). There is a smail Microsoft icon on the bottom of the pages but that is the only advertizing. It comes with up to 25 email addresses..... johndoe@ xyz.com also for free.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/of...spx?xid=c2logo

PS. Only setback was that it needs IE to setup/modify.... but can be viewed fine with Firefox and other browsers

Last edited by madison8; Dec 17, 2007 at 2:49 pm Reason: xyz.com is just a sample url
Old Dec 17, 2007, 3:03 pm

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Originally Posted by SpaceBass

In terms of CMS I'm partial to Joomla but it has a steep learning curve. Drupal is also very nice and is more approachable. You'll also find a lot of people who like wordpress.

I love Joomla. Have been running phpnuke, postnuke and drupal. the latter had major usability issues as community so ditched that. Postnuke and phpnuke have major security issues. Joomla has so far been the best and my user love it.

Haven't had a chance testing out wordpress yet but hear loads of good about it.

As for Joomla having a steep learning curve? Get a bite in to typo3 (or is it typo4 now) and then tell me Joomla has a steep learning curve.

Once I have the design done I do a joomla site in an afternoon. Took me litle more than a week to get to that point.

I love having my own server. I can test out anything I want and I can easily manage my client's sites without having to have multiple logins to umpteen different ftp's.

/E
Old Dec 17, 2007, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chexfan
Maybe there is simply a different Blogger Template out there that you could leverage.

I'm just thinking here since you said you liked the ease of it, plus FREE is key.
It is just a lot of my info is not suited for a blog. It is info that changes every so often. A ton of people go to my blog with search words for exactly what I have on my blog but leave immediately because I have too much stuff going all the way down on the side bars. I want the blog and the website. I really do wish I could do it all with blogger.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 3:27 pm

My thoughts:
--A person would an idiot to use a free website. The reason why is that a small website can be had for as low as $5/yr for hosting and ~$7-8/yr for a domain name.
--You want to register your own domain name so that you can use email, the website, etc for whatever you want, without anyone else's say in the matter (realize you are subject to the registrars and host's TOS...you agree you won't spam, etc).
--The Microsoft Live and Mac offerings are overpriced and under serviced.
--Whatever you do, don't use godaddy as a host or registrar. If they disagree with the ethics or morality of your website, they will shut it down and take the domain name.

If you want specific recommendations, feel free to PM me with more details about what you plan to use the website for.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by myfrogger
My thoughts:

--Whatever you do, don't use godaddy as a host or registrar. If they disagree with the ethics or morality of your website, they will shut it down and take the domain name.
Not sure I share the same feeling about GoDaddy. While I have not used them for hosting, I have used them as my registrar for some time. I think you'll be hard pressed to find any (US owned) hosting service with out a Terms of Service that allows them to suspend the account at any time. I'm not saying GoDaddy are saints and I have hear others raise the objection, but I question the real risk over the benefit. In terms of benefit I find their customer service to be outstanding for an internet company (IE the pickup the phone).
Anyway...just my 2 cents...
Old Dec 17, 2007, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Emma65
is it typo4 now) and then tell me Joomla has a steep learning curve.

Once I have the design done I do a joomla site in an afternoon. Took me litle more than a week to get to that point.

/E
I guess I was making an assumption about the audience
Its not as easy as blogger, but its not like you have to write code.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by myfrogger
My thoughts:
--A person would an idiot to use a free website. The reason why is that a small website can be had for as low as $5/yr for hosting and ~$7-8/yr for a domain name.
Right, $5 - $10 for a domain name I don't have a problem with even though most domain names are already taken unless you want to add a bunch of numbers to the end of it and have some trademark issues to deal with.
--The Microsoft Live and Mac offerings are overpriced and under serviced.
The Basic is free. But it jumps to $19 and $39 a month which is pricey for just a basic site with only a few hundred hits per day.
I will keep that in mind. I certainly wouldn't want them analyzing the "ethics and morals" or whatever I say and take my website and use it for themselves. That sounds really messed up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.