Wiki Posts
Search

Best External Hard Drive for travelers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2007, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Best External Hard Drive for travelers

I am in the market for a USB external hard drive. I hope to use it to store media files and large folders of rarely used data (large files).

I want something that has stood the tests of travels and the bumps and bruises that it may do to a peripheral. Is there a special case that will help defend against "oooops"?

Any suggestions????

I do have a Seagate bias, as they have never let me down.

If you have a particularly sweet deal, links would be appreciated, but I am a savy online shopper and can usually find a great deal given the brand and model, alone.

Appreciated in advance.....
Old Dec 12, 2007, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Brian_is_flyin
I am in the market for a USB external hard drive. I hope to use it to store media files and large folders of rarely used data (large files).

I want something that has stood the tests of travels and the bumps and bruises that it may do to a peripheral. Is there a special case that will help defend against "oooops"?

Any suggestions????

I do have a Seagate bias, as they have never let me down.

If you have a particularly sweet deal, links would be appreciated, but I am a savy online shopper and can usually find a great deal given the brand and model, alone.

Appreciated in advance.....
Welcome to Flyertalk. I have a number of the Western Digital Passport drives and have been very happy with them.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 2:33 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
I take this with me wherever I go, use it for nightly backups of my MacBook Pro:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...ng/MSTG800U2K/

Very light weight, portable, and durable. I installed my own Seagate Momentus drive inside, really easy to assemble.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 3:26 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
A drive enclosure should be the preference, though self-contained portable drives are becoming very inexpensive too. But the drive enclosure lets you easily replace the drive inside with a new one when either the drive dies or you simply want to upgrade to a larger size.

Personally, I would find other enclosures than the one posted above. I think $90 is a bit much and you still have to purchase a drive, which costs less than $90 depending on size. I think you're paying a premium for the flashy clear case, the aluminum heatsink and the firewire. I don't care what it looks like, my drives never get that hot with proper ventilation and I have no need for firewire. But on a MacBook (or Sony) laptop, you might want that.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 4:04 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
The one I listed is their top of the line portable enclosure, complete with Oxford chipset and FW800, 400, and USB2. They do offer cheaper enclosures with USB2 only:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...uting/MOTGSU2/

I guess it boils down to how much you plan to use the drive. The higher rpm drives get really hot in use, the heat sink cools it passively and does an effective job. The plastic case is rather thick and well constructed, not that I throw my portable drives around! I prefer having a heat sink or cooling fan with all my external hard drives--it's good for hard drive longevity to keep things reasonably cool.

I'm sure if you buy your hard drive from them, they can install it for you for a fee. For me it was very easy to do with a #1 Phillips screwdriver.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Welcome to Flyertalk. I have a number of the Western Digital Passport drives and have been very happy with them.
what he said. i travel with 4 of these bad boys and they have never failed me. compact and reasonably priced.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, National Exec Elite
I just got a 250Gb Western Digital Passport for $139 at Best Buy. Used it on a few flights yesterday no problem. Amazingly, the 320Gb drive is $249! So I'd stick with the 250Gb.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all very kindly for your input. It's time to go shopping.....for something off of my wishlist (for a change)!!

Happy Holidays!
Safe travels,
Old Dec 13, 2007, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

OK, splurged last night and went to Best Buy. I ended up with the PINK WD Passport 250gb external. Why pink? It was actually $30 less than the black or the white one? I don't know why, but I am secure enough in my manhood to own a pink external hard drive. Besides, it had the pink ribbon (Breast Cancer support ribbon) on the packaging, so I bet I did a "good" thing.

Thanks for the advice. Large files managed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.