Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Mom's got a G4 now I picked up a G3 as well.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2007, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.

Got my mom a G4 powermac in august. Today I brought home a G3 tower. Loads of bits and pieces to it as well.

Now I'm thinking what to do with it.

Rip it apart and use it for spares? Mom's could do with more RAM. Possibly even use the HDD? What about the CD drive.

The thing also came with an external HDD and a zipdrive and loads of other bits. I briefly opened it and the inside is very dirty so it does need a good clean.

If it would be working, how about using it as an entertainment machine - a very large stationary ipod, so to speak? Stick it as a file server in the family? Would I be able to load it with leopard? *ducking* I have a 10.3 disk sloshing about somewhere.

Keyboard was surprisingly new. Not the see-through with black keys but the white one that was just recently replaced by the new flat keyboard.

A whole shopping bag and manuals for various software was included. Adobe, Corel.... crikes I have no idea, really. It's in the boot of my car at the moment. Maybe I should bring it in. It will be below 0 tonight.

Right, I'm off to sleep. I'll check in the morning if anyone has suggestions what to do with the thing.

'night all!

/E
Old Dec 11, 2007, 4:29 pm

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space have been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 18, 2008 at 3:00 pm
Old Dec 11, 2007, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Emma65
...Would I be able to load it with leopard? *ducking* I have a 10.3 disk sloshing about somewhere...
'Fraid not. Leopard requires G4 (867 MHz or faster), G5, or Intel. It also requires more RAM than this probably has.

Speaking of RAM, it's unlikely that a G3 tower uses the same RAM as your mom's more recent G4. Check the specs on both before you plan on using the RAM from here that way. (www.everymac.com should have the info you need.) RAM is cheap these days anyhow.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 5:37 pm

Tiger might run on the G3 albeit sluggish (even with more RAM) - I'm still using panther on my g3 iBook. Do you really need Leopard - what specifically for?

And yes, bring it out of the cold tonight
Old Dec 11, 2007, 10:43 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Since it's a mac there's really only one thing to do with it....get rid of it
Old Dec 12, 2007, 5:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
From the title, I thought that this thread would be about which model gulfstream jet you and your mother acquired.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 7:22 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
That was my first thought; media server. Stuff it full of disk space and use it to stream music and videos as well as for file repository duty and perhaps bit-torrent use.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brosnan6
Since it's a mac there's really only one thing to do with it....get rid of it
Agreed. Would it be possible to install Linux on a mac? Now that'd be fun!
Old Dec 12, 2007, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by graraps
Agreed. Would it be possible to install Linux on a mac? Now that'd be fun!
Piece of cake, nothing odd about it. Parallels Desktop even lets you run Linux and Mac OS at the same time, though that loses the ability of bare Linux to run on what would otherwise be obsolete hardware - an important advantage in some situations, such as the one that started this thread.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 10:45 am

If it's the G3 tower that's blue and decent looking (like the G4 towers), i've used them seen as surprisingly good doorstops.

Old eMacs can also serve this purpose, but they're harder to use since they're rounded!
Old Dec 12, 2007, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I have a G3 iBook, 600MHz, 768MB RAM that runs surprisingly well under Tiger (10.4). The Leopard disk does an architecture check and will not allow for the install. On the web there are instructions on how to work around this, but I haven't bothered.

It's my knock around in the basement while I'm working on my crappy Windows laptop machine. My main home machine is a 2.4GHz Intel iMac with 4GB RAM that is the best machine I've ever owned, which I use 99% of the time when I'm not working on something requiring my company's software, which only runs on Windows.

And anyone who says, "It's a Mac, get rid of it" has never used one, at least not recently.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 11:49 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
I have a couple of those blue G3 towers hanging around here. I did set one up as a test server a while back with 10.3 on it, but more recently it's been off and collecting dust.

The G3s are slightly less useful than the G4s. The internal ATA bus can be flaky (and it's slow). But it will run 10.3 okay (and probably 10.4 okay, just have never personally done that on a G3 of any type) if you can get enough RAM into it, at least 512MB ideally.

Unless the G4 is a really early one, the RAM won't be the same on the two machines, and the HD in the G3 is probably a slower one unless it has been upgraded. It'll do a few things, but you don't want to put it into a situation where you have to be waiting on it a lot. It is capable of running iTunes, sure, or just being what amounts to a network attached disk for file sharing if you like.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichMSN
...And anyone who says, "It's a Mac, get rid of it" has never used one, at least not recently.
Based on the smileys in the referenced post, I suspect it was more of a comment on the frequent "If it runs Windows, get rid of it and get a Mac" posts here than a real suggestion.

That said, I have to agree that when I hear this said seriously, it usually says more about the person who says it than it does about the merits of either product.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Efrem
Based on the smileys in the referenced post, I suspect it was more of a comment on the frequent "If it runs Windows, get rid of it and get a Mac" posts here than a real suggestion.

That said, I have to agree that when I hear this said seriously, it usually says more about the person who says it than it does about the merits of either product.
Whoops. Missed the smileys. I'll blame my lack of coffee and trying to pay attention to a conference call for my lack of attention.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
I have a similar tower, but its an early G4 (400MHz). Its been sitting collecting dust for a couple years now and I have been trying to decide what to do with it. Optical drives and HD's are insanely cheap for these machines, as are processor upgrades. Depending on which model G3 you have Emma, you could upgrade the processor for as little as $150-300 US.

The media server is probably a good idea as you could stuff a couple of large HD's in it very cheaply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.