Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Mom's got a G4 now I picked up a G3 as well.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mom's got a G4 now I picked up a G3 as well.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2007, 1:24 pm

IF you are a SMB owner, how about this:

http://www.parliant.com/phonevalet/

I have one...works like a charm.

Jack
Old Dec 12, 2007, 2:01 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Efrem
Based on the smileys in the referenced post, I suspect it was more of a comment on the frequent "If it runs Windows, get rid of it and get a Mac" posts here than a real suggestion.

That said, I have to agree that when I hear this said seriously, it usually says more about the person who says it than it does about the merits of either product.
You were right.

But I'm curious...if said seriously, what does it say to you about the other person?
Old Dec 12, 2007, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Originally Posted by drummingcraig
The media server is probably a good idea as you could stuff a couple of large HD's in it very cheaply.
I have a 160GB in an external case sat on my desk here which I'm thinking could be used in the G3. (bar it actually is in working condition) and use that as a media server.

Problem is my sis is ogling it quite madly and a buddy of mine would go mental if I told him I have a spare mac at home.

I'll clean it out and see if it starts up first. Then I'll start thinking of what to do with it. All very good suggestions here.

Thanks.

Ps. how did you get on with your drive swap?
Old Dec 12, 2007, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by brosnan6
You were right.

But I'm curious...if said seriously, what does it say to you about the other person?
Generally, that they feel a (neurotic?) need to justify their own use of Windows by putting down anyone who, for whatever reason, uses a different OS. It may also reflect difficulty in letting go of conventional wisdom that may have been true a decade ago, or ignorance of what other platforms offer ("You mean you can really run Excel on one of those? I had no idea!"). It seldom has much connection to objective reality.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 7:38 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Originally Posted by Emma65
I have a 160GB in an external case sat on my desk here which I'm thinking could be used in the G3. (bar it actually is in working condition) and use that as a media server.

Problem is my sis is ogling it quite madly and a buddy of mine would go mental if I told him I have a spare mac at home.

I'll clean it out and see if it starts up first. Then I'll start thinking of what to do with it. All very good suggestions here.

Thanks.

Ps. how did you get on with your drive swap?
Don't put the 160 on the internal bus. It will only see 120GB or thereabouts of it, as I recall. If you decide to use it with the G3, keep it in the external case, presumably (hopefully) FireWire. USB on the G3 will be 1.1 slow speed. You need the drive to be FireWire.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:31 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by CrazyOne
Don't put the 160 on the internal bus. It will only see 120GB or thereabouts of it, as I recall.
I think there is a workaround for this now. I'm not sure if its a software patch or a hardware thing, but supposedly there's a way around the capacity block.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by drummingcraig
I think there is a workaround for this now. I'm not sure if its a software patch or a hardware thing, but supposedly there's a way around the capacity block.
it's a hardware limitation (lba48 addressing). however, there are a few solutions:

- put the drive in an external firewire enclosure that supports ata6/lba48 or 'large disk drive' which is just about any enclosure these days.
- g3 macs had usb 1, so although an external usb enclosure would work, it would be painfully slow.
- buy an internal pci ata6 card and attach the drive to that.
- there's a third party driver that claims to get around the limitation but it requires multiple partitions and they can't span the 128 gig boundary. also, if the driver doesn't load (such as when booting off a cd/dvd), parts of the disk may not be readable because the driver is not present. disk recovery becomes a bit tricker too. i wouldn't trust this; i only mention it because it does exist.
- use the drive as a 128 gig drive. it's perfectly safe.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:57 am
Original Poster

We now know what to do with it.

Dad came over to my cottage and woke me up with a "the printer's %&cked up again and is spitting pages like there is no tomorrow". He's a PC user. So up to his den I went and navigated my way (about 10 odd clicks and then some) to the printer que only to find 3 documents of 300+ pages each in que to be printed. ARGH!

He asked me o show him how to do that if it happens again only to figure out that no way will he work that one out. He's 81. Been a PC user for about 10 years. Before that he was on typewriters.

Brought him down to mom's den and showed him how easy it was to access the printer que on a mac. He was stunned.

So we all looked over at the G3 on the kitchen floor and mom got the hoover, I proceeded to take the G3 apart, cleaned it out, wiped the exterior, plugged it in and pressed the power button. The G3 went "DING!" and we could hear the HDD spin up, the CD drive be detected, fans kicking in and so on.

So, turned it off and grabbed mom's screen. Plugged it in and pressed power. "DING!" and there it was. OS 8.6, 192mb RAM, can't figure out size of hard drive. I'm almost in tears as I realize the structure is very similar to os X.

So..... The plan is now to upgrade it as much as possible and turn it in to dad's new work tool. He's an actor working on his biography. I have wanted him on OS X for a long time now and get him on Scrivner (google it). His needs are simple. Writing biography and letters. LIsten to music CDs and occasionaly play a DVD sent to him from TV and/or production companies.

No need for keynote, numbers, internet. He isn't interested in internet at all.

Mom is starting to be a fairly good mac user so this would help me as I'd get more sleep. She can do the support.

I need more ram, bigger HDD and a combo drive.

Anyone who can point us in the right direction, please do. We're in Sweden.

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 9:47 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
If you max the memory you should be able to get Jaguar or Panther running quite nicely on it if it's a rev 2.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kanebear
If you max the memory you should be able to get Jaguar or Panther running quite nicely on it if it's a rev 2.
Oh ducks. It's a rev 1. Just checked.

Guess it's a no go then.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skingjack
IF you are a SMB owner, how about this:

http://www.parliant.com/phonevalet/

I have one...works like a charm.

Jack
Eh?

Is this a spam?
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:49 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Eh?

Is this a spam?
No I believe that was a suggestion on what to do with the thing!

As for OS X, if you put in a PCI IDe interface it should be fine. The link in my earlier post has quite a lot of information. It'll still work, just needs an extra piece of hardware that's very inexpensive. Sonnet makes 'em as do others.

Last edited by kanebear; Dec 13, 2007 at 1:03 pm
Old Dec 13, 2007, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kanebear
As for OS X, if you put in a PCI IDe interface it should be fine. The link in my earlier post has quite a lot of information. It'll still work, just needs an extra piece of hardware that's very inexpensive. Sonnet makes 'em as do others.

Ah! Ok. I need to read it more carefully.

:-)

Thanks!
Old Dec 13, 2007, 9:32 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
It may work fine anyway, although I think I may have read the same thing at one point in the past because I'm pretty sure our two blue G3s are one of each, and the one I installed the OS X on is the revision 2. Not 100% sure of that, though.

I would try it anyway. That kind of blanket stuff tends to be at least a little misguided. The guy in the link says he doesn't support it, not that it absolutely doesn't work (and even admits it works fine often enough). Adding a PCI ATA adapter isn't a bad idea anyway just because it will allow you to use a faster and larger internal drive if you want, and apparently that solves the supposed potential problem with the revision 1.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 9:00 am

Eh?

Is this a spam?
Definitely not a spam..just a suggestion from a happy user...

Jack

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.