Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Portable Cell Phone Signal Blockers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2007, 5:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I would be interested to hear some input on these from some that are expert in the technology of the devices. It has been suggested to me that they can also jam things other than cellphones, such as cardiac pacemakers. But I dont know if that is accurate.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichMSN
I'm glad you're still being you.
And I'm glad you're still missing the point.

I was thinking of you when I was on an RJ DTW-ABE last month and a child wouldn't stop screaming for at least 10 minutes on the steep descent.
I've never complained about children screaming during ascent or descent. However, this is off-topic to this thread -- I'm sure a moderator will shut it down. Oh, wait. . .

I'd take that child any day over a cell phone screamer. At least the child is human.
Whereas I don't want to be around either. Where has anyone, least of all me, defended cellphone screamers?
Old Dec 11, 2007, 5:45 pm

Programs: AF; DL; & SQ FF Programs
Originally Posted by stut
How long before one of these devices blocks a call to the emergency services and precious time is lost?

People who use them are self-important scum. End of story.
Don't tell me you have never had to suffer through some self-important windbag's conversation thus ruining your dining pleasure. I think if there was an emergency there are still land lines to call for help. Since some people do not have enough sense to know when using a cell phone is inappropriate, maybe they should have it incapacitated. Would their mother's allowed them on the phone at the dinner table!
Old Dec 11, 2007, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by tulsan
Interesting gift, since they sell for around $300
It would be worth every penny too. I think most who would think they are great re thinking of their use in eating establishments, theatres, concerts, lectures, movies & etc. I don't thinj I have ever seen someone receive a call on their cell and excused themself to go take the call outside or in a foyer. I think this is the self-important scum that comes to mind.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by APW Girl
It would be worth every penny too. I think most who would think they are great re thinking of their use in eating establishments, theatres, concerts, lectures, movies & etc. I don't thinj I have ever seen someone receive a call on their cell and excused themself to go take the call outside or in a foyer. I think this is the self-important scum that comes to mind.
You have NEVER seen someone take a call outside? You would seem to be in with a bad crowd. While I certainly have seen people being bad about calls it seems to me to be the exception.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
You have NEVER seen someone take a call outside? You would seem to be in with a bad crowd. While I certainly have seen people being bad about calls it seems to me to be the exception.
Actually I have had customers leave my store to take a call but that may have been as much for privacy as anything else. I think the scenerio in a restaurant is the most familiar to all of us. The person who slips out unnoticed has done so out of consideration and manners and maybe privacy too. I travel the world alone and have not found the first thing I have missed because I wasn't plugged into a cell phone.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by PTravel
Okay, I'll make a deal with you: you can prevent me from using my cell phone on a plane (pre-flight, ofcourse -- I'm absolutely opposed to any kind of in-flight usage, even if it is permitted) or public transport if you agree that you won't bring your crying baby or screaming infant into the same venue.
Your comment was the first mention of children. Off-topic, indeed.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 7:16 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
About the only time I ever see chronic phone abuse is on planes. In restaurants, etc it's rarely a problem.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by kanebear
About the only time I ever see chronic phone abuse is on planes. In restaurants, etc it's rarely a problem.
My biggest problem are the phone screamers in the airline clubs. Some people aren't satisfied unless they are on the phone every possible minute and then the talk so loud that you can't think yourself.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The real problem here is that nobody seems to be learning and employing etiquette these days. Instead, everyone is taught that they're "special," and fewer people have normal social relations, turnining instead to the Internet as a surrogate.

Cell phone jammers don't solve the underlying problem, which will only get worse if people don't learn to act civilized in society.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichMSN
Your comment was the first mention of children. Off-topic, indeed.
As I said, you've missed the point which really has nothing to do with children.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 10:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
If you've never seen one of these, they are very small and easily hidden. For those of you angry enough to look for someone with one, you can forget it. You'd be punching out everyone who looks like he/she has a cell phone or cigarette pack in their pocket! And they're completely silent.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 10:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
If you've never seen one of these, they are very small and easily hidden. For those of you angry enough to look for someone with one, you can forget it. You'd be punching out everyone who looks like he/she has a cell phone or cigarette pack in their pocket! And they're completely silent.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 4:08 am

While I agree many people are very rude in how they employ various electronic devices...no one has any more right to 'jam' them. The 'talker' might be learning of a death in the family or saying goodbye to their kids while off to war...you have no idea what the real topic is.

This is right up there with people that put the little plastic piece in the seat to prevent reclining.

As 'right' as people like this may think they are...in reality they are just as bad or worse than the 'offender' although they would never admit it.

I hate people like this.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 4:12 am

I excuse myself all the time for phone calls...who are you to block my calls because someone else nearby is talking too loud? In addition I have the phone on vibrate usually so the ringer isn't even noticeable to people. You can't select only the annoying people. Would you feel bad at all if I missed a call notifying me that my wife was in labor or my father died? Just because you have never 'missed' anything while traveling the world without a phone doesn't mean others will have the same situation.

Those of you who advocate such a device can't see how ironic and hypocritical it is calling others 'self-important'...

I also think poetic justice would be for one of these 'jammers' to miss a life changing call because they took it upon themselves to do the exact same thing as those they complain about...and that is to ignore everyone around them and force something upon others for their own comfort.

Last edited by vesicle; Dec 13, 2007 at 4:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.