Reload this Page >

How to share a hotel [paid] wireless connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to share a hotel [paid] wireless connection

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2007, 7:51 pm

If the OP is only sharing between him and wife, there is no need to get a router. Just get a Crossed LAN cable. (this is not the normal ones used to connect from PC to router, it is a specific PC to PC cable)

For the OP, you'll have to connect your laptop to the internet wirelessly. As mentioned in post #2, you'll need to enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) from your wireless device, to be shared via your Local Area Connection. When you do that, your Local Area Connection will automatically be set to 192.168.0.1 (IP) and 255.255.255.0 (Subnet mask).

Connect your wife's laptop to your own laptop with the Crossed Ethernet Cable. Your wife's laptop should be able to search for the IP without problems. But if there is a problem, you can set it manually at 192.168.0.x, where x can be anything between 2 and 254, subnet 255.255.255.0 and Default Gateway 192.168.0.1 (this is the important one).

Then if you click on Internet Explorer/Mozilla/your browser of choice you should have no problems surfing.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 10:52 pm

Or you could just plug the Linksys travel router into the wall. More secure, no wires, no ICS setup, and one of you sits at the desk while the other can hang out anywhere in the room...
Old Dec 10, 2007, 7:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
Don't forget the conjugation of the verb "to stink."

ICS stinks
ICS stank
ICS has stunk

If you can't find a "crossed" cable, try "crossover."
Old Dec 10, 2007, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by CessnaJock
Don't forget the conjugation of the verb "to stink."

ICS stinks
ICS stank
ICS has stunk

If you can't find a "crossed" cable, try "crossover."
Could someone please kindly clarify to me what the above post is supposed to mean?
Old Dec 10, 2007, 1:09 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by chowinlondon
Could someone please kindly clarify to me what the above post is supposed to mean?
Internet Connection Sharing is not a suitable replacement for a router. It can be fiddly to set up, it's flaky, it positively won't work with SafeNet based VPN clients and it requires your laptop be left on 24/7 to act as an access point. I will ALWAYS prefer the hardware solution vs. turning my ~$2k notebook into a $25 travel router. I've said it before and will say it again, the D-link DWL-G730AP is small enough not to make any sort of dent in a travel bag. If one doesn't want to carry the power brick, it can even be powered via USB. Of course the computer needs to be on for that too.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 4:05 pm
tlc

Programs: AA Platinum
Linksys WTR54-GS

Linksys WTR54-GS does exactly what you want. It sits on one wireless network and routes it to another private one. My husband and I just got one and it works flawlessly. We can both use our laptops, our cell phone and our ipods all on wireless with only one paid connection.

The D-Link DWL-G730AP does not do that. you would need to have two of them connected with a wire to get the same effect.

And of course Amazon halved the price of the Lynksys 2 days after we bought ours.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 4:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by AAaLot
Traveling through Europe I have found that some hotels have free wireless, but some others charge up to 12 euros (!) for 24 hours.
Wow, you are doing well - I can't remeber it ever being that little; I have usually had to pay E20+, and in one case 20 POUNDS.

What really p***es me off is when you have to buy a card; although a rip-off, $30 is justifyable to expense if it lets me answer email. Whjat seems really bizarre that they make it so hard to buy their outrageously priced service ? Why can't I just enter my CC# and go ?
Old Dec 10, 2007, 8:07 pm

Newegg and Amazon reviewers have a slight preference for the d-link over the linksys. Any other views on which is better?
Old Dec 10, 2007, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by tlc
Linksys WTR54-GS does exactly what you want. It sits on one wireless network and routes it to another private one.
The users guide, page 12, figure 5-4: "You can only connect to a public wireless network that has open access"

This suggests that if your hotel has security on its wireless network, you can't use the linksys to share.

An Amazon reviewer confirms: "when using it to share a wireless connection, you can only use it to share an unsecure connection; i.e. it can't associate with a WEP or WAP access point."
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:21 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
You're past my knowledge

So, for, say, the typical Hampton Inn where you get a wifi code with your check-in packet for the free wifi does that mean that's WEP or WAP, or has the hotel simply set up a portal page through which you must authenticate?

And is my understanding correct that a) the Linksys product allows you to re-distribute a wifi connection wirelessly, but b) the D-Link product only allows you to set up a wifi network from a wired connection?
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:49 pm

> So, for, say, the typical Hampton Inn where you get a wifi code with your
> check-in packet for the free wifi does that mean that's WEP or WAP,
No.

> has the hotel simply set up a portal page through which you must authenticate?
Yes.

> the Linksys product allows you to re-distribute a wifi connection wirelessly
Yes.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
not necessary

Originally Posted by chowinlondon
If the OP is only sharing between him and wife, there is no need to get a router. Just get a Crossed LAN cable. (this is not the normal ones used to connect from PC to router, it is a specific PC to PC cable)
almost none of this is necessary at all, certainly not the CrossOVER cable. Just enable the internet on ONE computer via WIFI, then setup ICS of THAT connection to the ETHERNET connection of that computer. Then, just connect a REGULAR ethernet cable from THAT computer to the second computer, and it will get DHCP from the HOSt computer. No cross over needed, most hotels with internet have ethernet cables you can use, I DO carry a single small cable for when I need this, or when I send a WIFI signal to my LINKSYS travel router to enable other people in the room to access the internet..

But, for this solution a crossover cable is not required, i've been doing without for several years.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA MM (former 1K) - DL PM (former DM) - Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nmenaker
But, for this solution a crossover cable is not required, i've been doing without for several years.
I'm guessing that you probably have auto-switching LAN cards in your laptops? In order to correctly connect two computers directly together without a hub or switch is to use a crossover cable.

And, to add to the group, I will heartily recommend the Linksys WRT-54G. I have one of these, and it's been a great little travel companion. Wireless bridge, wireless repeater, WAP, router, etc. - it just works.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
nope

nope, no auto switching LAN cards in my LT's, none that I know of. The whole point of the ICS, is that is mimic a regular DHCP server. So, OUT of my Ethernet jack, I am sending 192.xxx addresses. The Receiving computer just sees this as a router.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker
nope, no auto switching LAN cards in my LT's, none that I know of.
If that's true, then it WOULDN'T work with a crossover cable. Which is unlikely. What model of laptops (source and destination machine) were you using?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.