Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Amusing Experience Buying Power Supply at HKG

Old Dec 4, 2007, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

On the way over to HKG a few weeks ago, I realized that, rather than having the misfortune of picking a succession of seats with non-functioning power ports, my cheapie-bought-on-eBay airplane power adapter simply didn't work. I tried to buy a replacement at the big electronics marts in Shenzhen but either no one carries one, or my combination of sign language and crude drawings was insufficient to convey what I wanted. Back at the HKG airport for my return flight, I found a small Fortress shop and, lo-and-behold, there was a nice display of Targus power adapters -- exactly what I wanted. There was a 90 watt version which I thought would do very nicely.

I told the sales clerk I'd like to buy it and he asked me what computer it was for. I told him a Vaio SZ-440. The clerk examined the documentation which came with the floor sample and told me that my laptop wasn't listed as compatible. I told that was probably because it was a new model (the 440 is the Vista version of the SZ-340, which was on the list), but I was sure it would work just fine. He then asked if I had my laptop with me -- he'd like to confirm that it would work so I wouldn't have any problems. I showed him my laptop and we determined that the floor sample included a plug that would fit my machine. He examined the laptop some more and then asked if he could see the power supply I was using. I pulled out my Vaio "stick," a small-format travel power supply that Sony sells for use with a variety of its machines. The clerk examined the label on the power supply, pulled out a calculator and said, "This won't work. Your power supply is 91 watts, and this only 90 watts." I looked at him for minute, and debated explaining that (1) tolerances of roughly +/- 1 watt weren't an issue, (2) that 90 watts was the maximum rating and it was unlikely that my laptop drew that much, and (3) the "stick" was generic for Sony laptops and worked with larger laptops than mine, so its rating wasn't indicative of how much power my laptop drew. Since it was clear that the clerk's primary language was Cantonese, I simply told him that I was sure it wasn't a problem. That's when things started getting strange. The clerk said, "This won't work on your laptop. I can't sell it to you." I told him I was very sure it would work, and I'd take the chance. He said, "Sorry." I asked, "You won't sell this to me?" He said, "No, I can not. It would be dangerous for you to use it."

I left the shop, looked for another electronics shop and, when I couldn't find one, I returned to Fortress to give it another try. The same sales clerk was there. I said, "Look, I really want to buy the Targus adapter. I'm very sure it will work. It's not dangerous -- if my laptop draws more current than the adapter can provide, there's a fuse in the adapter and it will blow." The sales clerk thought for a moment, and then called over another clerk. They had a brief discussion in Cantonese and the second clerk said, "This would be dangerous because your computer is 91 watts and this adapter is only 90 watts." I then explained about the "stick" being for lots of Sony computers (I decided discussing tolerances and maximum draw would be too difficult given the language barrier). The two clerks conferred some more and then the first one said, "Do you mind if I try it with your computer?" I said, "Please do!" I opened the laptop, he plugged in the Targus and connected it. The computer booted up but, evidently, the clerk was unfamiliar with Vista. I showed him the system tray icon that indicated that the laptop was running on AC and the battery was charging. The clerk frowned and performed a few experiments, plugging and unplugging the power adapter and watching the icon change to reflect that the laptop was running on AC and then battery and then AC again. I asked, "Can I get the adapter now?" The clerk said, "I'll go get a new one -- this is the sample." He brought out a new one but then insisted on doing the whole testing routine again, saying "It worked with the sample, but I must make sure it works with the one that you will buy." Of course it did and, finally, he wrote it up and I purchased it.

The whole exercise took at least 30 minutes. Fortunately, I had arrived at the airport very early so time wasn't an issue. Needless to say, I was able to watch movies and play Scrabble on my laptop for the entire flight home, but this was the first time I've ever encountered a sales clerk who refused to sell me something.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 3:42 pm

That's a really interesting story. I wonder if the clerk's attitude was based on a previous experience, store policy, or if its a cultural thing? In any case, you have to have some admiration for their misguided concern.

That the clerk was there on your return reminds me of a great Saturday Night Live "advertisement" wherein Roseanne portrays an obnoxious credit card company operator and Phil Hartman keeps getting connected to her when he calls back.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 7:38 pm

Heh, that is TYPICAL Hong Kong to me!
Old Dec 4, 2007, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by PTravel
...this was the first time I've ever encountered a sales clerk who refused to sell me something.
I saw, though wasn't personally involved in, a less interesting refusal here in the States. The tire clerk at the Framingham, Mass., BJ's Wholesale Club refused to sell an older gent a replacement tire rated for lower speeds than his car (a big old MB) was capable of. The gent insisted he never drove too fast for the tire he wanted. The clerk said he didn't care, he wasn't going to sell a tire that wouldn't take the speeds the car could go if someone else drove it. The gent left.

Two thumbs up to the clerk, I say - and probably to BJ's for having that policy and training its employees in it. Cars get borrowed, cars get stolen, blowouts happen - and I use those same roads.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 7:27 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by theworld
Heh, that is TYPICAL Hong Kong to me!
Oh yes it is... I was meeting someone at HKG and my battery gave out. Luckily, the landside bookshop had mobiles and the Nokia 1100 was about US$45.

Clerk: "Sorry, I cannot sell you this phone. It will not work in the United States".
Me: "But I'm not BUYING it for use in the United States. My phone has failed and I need one just for now."
Clerk: "Sorry. You must buy 'this' phone (pointing to 3xxx series phone that was about 2.5x the price"
Me: "Ok, how about this. I am buying the phone to use only for today here in Hong Kong after which I will gift it to my friend from Europe."
Clerk: "(confused look) I need to see your friend's passport."
Me: "They aren't here yet, they haven't landed. They're going to call my phone to tell me where to meet them and mine has died. That's why I'm buying this one."

I never even had a second thought about it... just all part of the HKG 'experience'. That mentality also makes for some amazing customer service in other situations... I WISH people in the US cared as much!
Old Dec 5, 2007, 8:15 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
I just think a lot of HKG shops do not want to deal with returns, hence they make darn sure you don't have the "it doesn't work with my stuff!" excuse.

JP
Old Dec 12, 2007, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Sigh... this story brings back memories!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.