Search

Speakers for desktop computer suggestions and tips needed

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2007, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Speakers for desktop computer suggestions and tips needed

mrs pbiflyer has taken to playing on line music through her computer. She now wants better quality speakers for her computer.
Any suggestions? Would the speakers need an additional power source besides/instead of the computer to be effective?
Old Dec 2, 2007, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
mrs pbiflyer has taken to playing on line music through her computer. She now wants better quality speakers for her computer.
Any suggestions? Would the speakers need an additional power source besides/instead of the computer to be effective?
To answer the second question first: very few sound cards put out decent sound at the impedance of a speaker, so yes, powered speakers that run off the PC's Line Out jack will give the best results.

As to brand - I have always liked Cyber Acoustics, although I haven't listened to any of their new models. Perhaps the thing to do is to take an MP3 player to a couple of appliance/computer stores, plug it in to a few brands, and see if there's anything you/mrs like.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 1:37 pm

I got some cheap 2.1 speakers at Walmart. Works pretty well. Durabrand. The subwoofer makes all the difference.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 1:49 pm

I don't know if you want to spend this much, but I have a pair of these, and they are great.

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/produ...products_id=43

If you don't want to spend that much, you might want to look at some of the m-audio speakers. I have a pair of them also (I don't remember which model, though) and they are also pretty decent. Not nearly as good as the Divas though, but still pretty decent and they are cheaper than the Divas.

And, yes, these are all powered speakers. The computer sound cards put out enough power to power headphones, and that's it. For speakers, you need an additional amplifier, which are usually built in to computer speakers. You could run the audio out through a receiver (analog out or digital out if your sound device has an optical or coax out) and power it that way and then use normal non-powered speakers too. If you want to do it with digital out and your system doesn't have a coax or optical output, you can buy a very nice $29 sound card that has a digital output.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=292003

(looks like it's $18 at zipzoomfly). If you care about DAC quality, look at the m-audio sound cards. Some of them use the same sound chip as this card, but have much better surrounding circuitry including the DACs. Of course, that makes them more expensive too.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Dec 2, 2007 at 2:04 pm
Old Dec 2, 2007, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Despite being pretty anti-Bose, I've always liked their PC speakers. Nice rich sound from small speakers.

Another option (the ones I use myself nowadays) would be the JVC NX-PS1 component speakers. Audio over USB, Line in, USB memory and an iPod interface. I picked mine up for well under $100 despite an MSRP of $249.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 2:59 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
The Ten Commandments of PC speakers and sound according to NHT

[just joking]
That link should be a sticky!!
[/just joking]
Old Dec 3, 2007, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by willyroo
The Ten Commandments of PC speakers and sound according to NHT

[just joking]
That link should be a sticky!!
[/just joking]
Makes good reading. Thanks for the link.
But no match to Sermon on the Mount tho.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:11 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I've got a set of Altec Lansing VS-2121 that staples was dumping for $15 that I love, and even bought another pair. Making space for the new model or something.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I also have Altec Lansing and JBL is pretty good too. If you have money to burn, then Bose.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:34 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Originally Posted by SJUAMMF
I also have Altec Lansing and JBL is pretty good too. If you have money to burn, then Bose.
Or if you have money to burn AND want some decent sound, buy a good soundcard and the NHT or Quad Active speakers...

IMHO Bose and "sounds like real music" don't fit well together in the same sentence.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by willyroo
Or if you have money to burn AND want some decent sound, buy a good soundcard and the NHT or Quad Active speakers...

IMHO Bose and "sounds like real music" don't fit well together in the same sentence.
For PC speakers I disagree. I'd never buy their home crap, but the Bose PC speaker line is actually pretty damn good.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 10:11 am

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
Best Buy has the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 set on sell for 99(reg 158)

HEAR

Sound "REALLY" good for a 2.1 hookup- THX rated, seperate line input !!!
There's probably a 10-12% off rewardzone coupon out there somewhere as well

Last edited by windwalker; Dec 5, 2007 at 10:18 am
Old Dec 5, 2007, 11:38 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
That's a great price on the HiVis, but I was never that impressed with 'em. I have a pair. VERY large for what they do. If you don't want a sub but still want decent bass, the Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 2.0 sound very good for the money. The 2.1 system, however, sounds very much better. Best bass out of a computer system I've heard. That'd be my pick.

If you don't mind spending QUITE a lot and want to listen elsewhere in the home, these combined with this will let you listen away from the PC. Those speakers are tiny but sound astonishingly good.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 1:01 pm

Programs: LH, BA, DL
I recently bought a pair of Logitech Z10 which connect to the PC through USB and have their own built-in soundcard. The sound is amazing - terrific value for money!
Old Dec 5, 2007, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA1K, Platinum Elite
Thumbs up

I nominate Harmon Kardon Soundsticks. They are really cool looking and I got mine with free shipping from Amazon. Great sound!

http://www.amazon.com/Soundsticks-II...6885285&sr=8-1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.