Palm Treo Replacement

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2007, 4:55 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Palm Treo Replacement

My BIL is a physician who has a real requirement for:
A cell Phone
A Palm OS PDA (The medical information service that he subscribes to is ONLY Palm OS)
and a pager.

He has been suffering through disastrous results with the Treo (6-9 months life, and they will only replace with refurb units) and would like to go to something else. Are there any good reliable replacements for the Treo?

Thanks

UP
Old Nov 29, 2007, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamon
Originally Posted by underpressure
My BIL is a physician who has a real requirement for:
A cell Phone
A Palm OS PDA (The medical information service that he subscribes to is ONLY Palm OS)
and a pager.

He has been suffering through disastrous results with the Treo (6-9 months life, and they will only replace with refurb units) and would like to go to something else. Are there any good reliable replacements for the Treo?

Thanks

UP
If it needs telephone, you need a Treo. If you just need a palm os based handheld with wifi, then Palm sells some other devices: http://www.palm.com/us/products/handhelds/
Old Nov 29, 2007, 8:53 pm

I put my Treo 755p through a lot of daily use. And I mean a lot of daily use. Perhaps he needs to look at how he's handling his hardware if he's having a lot of issues. He's probably also a good candidate for a hardware replacement plan if he's a bit harder on his phone.

Perhaps a good case would help?
Old Nov 29, 2007, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.4 MM Hertz Gold, National Executive Elite, Starwood Gold, Hyat Gold
My 755 is also used many many times a day. I have a palm "hard" case as well to help protect it, I don't have any problems with it.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 1:26 am

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
I switched to a nokia e61i from treo. take a look, the e90 is nice too from nokia but overkill for what I need.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 7:18 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
The Nokias wouldn't work (Symbian and he needs PalmOS). If he needs the phone and PDA in one then the Treo and new Centro lines are pretty much his only options. If he can live with a seperate phone and PDA then look at the Tungsten E2 and the T|X. The T|X has WiFi so if there's a network present that'll work for data access. Both have BlueTooth so paring with a capable phone for a data connection is another possibility.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 8:02 am

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
Both have BlueTooth so paring with a capable phone for a data connection is another possibility.
Just as a caveat, if he goes that route, he'll suck the batteries down in a hurry, especially if he's using 3G data access.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 2:00 pm

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
The Nokias wouldn't work (Symbian and he needs PalmOS). .
ah... ignore, didn't even see he needed the palm os.....
Old Dec 2, 2007, 6:46 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Curious - my wife is a GP (MD) and the main handheld software is MIMS, which was originally for Palm OS and is now also available on WM5 and WM6. It might be worth checking if "only Palm OS" has more recently become "Palm OS and WM"...
Old Dec 3, 2007, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, CO, AA, Marriott Silver, HHonors Silver, Hyatt Platinum
I'm not sure if this helps broaden the range of possibilities, but in the last few weeks I've seen reports of people installing PalmOS on certain late-model Nokia (Symbian) phones.

Here's one:
http://www.mobiletopsoft.com/board/2...a-tablets.html

I don't know how it would work in your brother's particular case, but it might be worth looking at in greater detail.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by nuyawkr
I'm not sure if this helps broaden the range of possibilities, but in the last few weeks I've seen reports of people installing PalmOS on certain late-model Nokia (Symbian) phones.

Here's one:
http://www.mobiletopsoft.com/board/2...a-tablets.html
It is true that Access (the company that purchased palmsource which made the palm os) released Garnet VM which allows users to emulate palm OS programs on the Nokia tablets, BUT there is no way to do this on Nokia's smartphones such as the E61 or N95.

I agree with the above. First, the latest Treo's are a tad more stable. I have a 755p and it works well. I am a long time palm fan (7 devices in 6 years and > 5000 posts on a popular palm forum site) and I will admit palm is getting long in the tooth. Many palm applications are now being released for WM. I also use my device in the medical field (pediatric genetics) and I am surprised how many of my tried and true medical programs are available on WM.

Good luck!
Old Dec 4, 2007, 2:41 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
I really like the Piel Frama aluminum case. It's saved my Treo's butt more that a few times. And when I ordered spare parts direct from the Piel Frama company in Spain, they were great too. Anyway, if he stays with Treo, they're worth considering.

http://mytreo.net/store/product.php?xProd=360&xSec=105

http://mytreo.net/store/product.php?xProd=361&xSec=105

Here's a review (not written by me): http://mytreo.net/archives/2005/10/r...reo-cases.html

I think it looks better in-hand than in the pictures. And, on the back, there's the black screw-on attachment for the included belt clip. I just leave that attachment off and can carry it in my jeans pocket without any clip.

Last edited by Grog; Dec 4, 2007 at 2:56 am
Old Dec 4, 2007, 8:28 am

Programs: DL PM, CO, AA, Marriott Silver, HHonors Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by mposter
It is true that Access (the company that purchased palmsource which made the palm os) released Garnet VM which allows users to emulate palm OS programs on the Nokia tablets, BUT there is no way to do this on Nokia's smartphones such as the E61 or N95.
Oops. I didn't realize that when I posted the link. Sorry for any confusion.

(Still learning the in's and out's of smart-phones myself.)
Old Dec 7, 2007, 8:27 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

As an update to the saga....

BIL talked to the Palm folks at ATL as he was passing through the airport. Apparently; they had a software update that completely zapped his Treo and when that happened; they gave him a new (not refurb) product.

He is happy once again.

As a side note; one of our very own FTers who actually works for PALM contacted me by PM and was at the ready to get this resolved had BIL been unsuccessful. (thanks)
Old Dec 7, 2007, 8:38 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Glad to hear your story's got a happy ending. I just switched to an Iphone after carrying a Treo 650 for 4 or so years. I'm not entirely happy with the Iphone (no cut & paste, no 3rd party apps, no 'Memo' function) and still will carry the Treo (which I unlocked using 650unlock.com) as a backup.

I'd recommend the RhinoSkin cases:

http://www.saunders-usa.com/rhinoski...d=10&model=260

Saved my bacon many times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.