Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

My BlackBerry in India. What should I expect?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2007, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

I have a BlackBerry 8820 that I will be bringing with me to India next month with a standard, unlimited data account on California's AT&T Wireless service.

Assuming I do nothing and just keep the phone as is, what sort of service will I get in major Indian cities?

I want to be able to use the phone to make local and international calls and most importantly, receive my email.

Does anybody have any experience with this? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Nov 27, 2007, 6:39 pm

Make sure you set up your account for world calling (or world roaming, or whatever they call it), and that will make the BB ready to work.

Our company has had a few issues mostly with placing phone calls on the BB within India. Only good for calling w/in India or back to the country of origin of the BB. The data coverage, while spotty sometimes, is there and usually works OK, although not cheap at 2 cents/kb.

There are coverage maps on AT&T's site which should give you a better idea of the available services in the cities you'll visit.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JimC
Make sure you set up your account for world calling (or world roaming, or whatever they call it), and that will make the BB ready to work.

Our company has had a few issues mostly with placing phone calls on the BB within India. Only good for calling w/in India or back to the country of origin of the BB. The data coverage, while spotty sometimes, is there and usually works OK, although not cheap at 2 cents/kb.

There are coverage maps on AT&T's site which should give you a better idea of the available services in the cities you'll visit.
Thank you for the info. I will take a look at those coverage maps. I guess I was crazy in hoping that it would just magically work...
Old Nov 27, 2007, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rakers
Thank you for the info. I will take a look at those coverage maps. I guess I was crazy in hoping that it would just magically work...
It will "just work" for the most part in the cities. You may have to select a roaming partner to use, but overall it should be OK as long as you've got the world plan activated. I hope someone else is paying your data bill (and knows what they're in for). The roaming data charges are insane.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
It will "just work" for the most part in the cities. You may have to select a roaming partner to use, but overall it should be OK as long as you've got the world plan activated. I hope someone else is paying your data bill (and knows what they're in for). The roaming data charges are insane.
Wait a minute, it will just work? I do not think I have this so called world plan activated by the way. I'm currently digging around on AT&T's horror of a website right now for information.

Even if I don't have a world plan, will it still work in major cities if I choose the right "roaming partner" (that's a hilarious term, btw) but just cost me an insane amount??

Wow, thank you guys for writing back so quickly. Much appreciated.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 7:00 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Yep. I just got a new one and when I went to Thailand and India it didn't automatically work, but I was able to do live chat on AT&T's support site and an agent was able to turn on the right features in no time at all.

But, yes, in major cities (my experience is with Bangalore) you'll get EDGE service and notice no difference.

If you pay your own bills, do look up the roaming charges and take heed. A recent two-week trip racked up about $200 in roaming data/voice charges for me. Not end-of-the-world horrible (and I'm not the one paying), but had I known, I would have paid a little more attention to what I was doing on the phone.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by robb
Yep. I just got a new one and when I went to Thailand and India it didn't automatically work, but I was able to do live chat on AT&T's support site and an agent was able to turn on the right features in no time at all.

But, yes, in major cities (my experience is with Bangalore) you'll get EDGE service and notice no difference.

If you pay your own bills, do look up the roaming charges and take heed. A recent two-week trip racked up about $200 in roaming data/voice charges for me. Not end-of-the-world horrible (and I'm not the one paying), but had I known, I would have paid a little more attention to what I was doing on the phone.
So it did just work without adding a world plan? Or you did add the world plan? I'm looking on the website and can't see how much it costs to add. Do you have any idea, excluding charges incurred from use, the world service costs? Is it a feature I can add for a month than take off?

Thanks.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 7:39 pm

I don't have a monthly global plan, so I did pay roaming. I do have international dialing and texting enabled on my account and I think I have like a $2 or $3 monthly charge for cheaper rates for that--I don't think that's related to calls placed FROM international locations, though.

Just go to http://forums.wireless.att.com/, register for an account there if you don't already have one, then go the live chat and talk to an agent there. They can answer all your questions and give your account the right settings.

International use itself, I'm pretty sure requires no charge, it's just turned off by default for loss prevention.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Starwood Gold
Had no GPRS service in New Delhi and only GSM. Outside of New Delhi I had GPRS in Jaipur and Agra.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 8:02 pm

I have a bb 8830 and while in SIN:

Options
Mobile Network
I changed the network selection mode to manual.
And then tested the three networks and found one in Singapore that would let me use web browsing, etc.
When I let the BB self select the network it wouldn't allow me to surf. Only use the phone function.

In NRT couldn't get anything to work.

I would stop in ATT store before you leave just to make sure. I stopped at VZW and they said you don't have a SIM card. I wouldn't have been happy if I found that out when I got to SIN.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:04 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
One practical item for when you return to the states is that you may need to turn off the Blackberry and remove the battery for about a minute, then put it back in and turn it on.

I do this as soon as the aircraft lands now on every trip home from India, and it eliminates other issues that pop up otherwise.

The other issues I used to experience upon return include calendar not synching and emails not synching.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 11:11 am

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Originally Posted by rakers
So it did just work without adding a world plan? Or you did add the world plan? I'm looking on the website and can't see how much it costs to add. Do you have any idea, excluding charges incurred from use, the world service costs? Is it a feature I can add for a month than take off?
There are a couple of options. There's a no-monthly option with higher per-minute and data rates, and a plan with a monthly fee that lowers your per month charge. What I do is have the no-monthly one on there normally, and if I know I'll be using it a lot internationally (enough to make up the per-monthly fee), I'll upgrade for that month.

I've only dealt with it in western Europe. There, the no-cost plan is $1.29/min for voice, $0.50 for SMS out, $0.10 SMS in. The $5-6/month charge drops the voice fee to $0.99/min.

Just call ATT and tell them you want to add international roaming to your account. They should offer you both options.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by bowdenj
I have a bb 8830 and while in SIN:

Options
Mobile Network
I changed the network selection mode to manual.
And then tested the three networks and found one in Singapore that would let me use web browsing, etc.
When I let the BB self select the network it wouldn't allow me to surf. Only use the phone function.

In NRT couldn't get anything to work.

I would stop in ATT store before you leave just to make sure. I stopped at VZW and they said you don't have a SIM card. I wouldn't have been happy if I found that out when I got to SIN.
Verizon customers are in an entirely different boat because they don't use GSM service in the U.S.. For an AT&T customer with a Blackberry 8820, the OP has everything needed except for an account setting that can be made over the phone or online.

Your phone didn't work in NRT because Japan uses an older CDMA technology (for the most part). Actually, this is one case where the Verizon phone would have had a shot (I think), but your GSM-Blackberry cannot work anywhere in Japan, as they don't have that network.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 2:49 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
I've taken my 8800 and 8300 'berries outside the country several times, for the most part they "just work", and I only use them for email and web and get a local SIM for calling (with another phone).

AT&T has a deal for an extra $20 that gives you unlimited international blackberry, which pays for itself very, very quick when traveling. It used to be you could get it on a month-by-month basis, so if you knew you were going to be gone for a few weeks, you pay the extra $20 for the month and maybe save $80.

Just recently they started making you sign up for a year - you can't just turn the international bberry on and off at will, you have to commit the extra $20 per month for 12 months.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 8:37 am

Programs: Most of them
The one big plus. Calling customer service is a local call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.