Search

Garmin 650 or Tom Tom 720 or Magellan 4250

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2007, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Garmin 650 or Tom Tom 720 or Magellan 4250

Costco is having a sale and I"m finally going to bite the bullet and buy a GPS unit.

Now I've managed to confuse myself. The 3 units are all in the $300-$350 range.

My needs are fairly simple, get me where I'm going and back without circling too much. Alternate routing is fairly important in traffic clogged NJ. I don't know if traffic reporting is all that important. While I don't have a real need for Bluetooth compatibility, for $50 it might be worth it. The phone I have now isn't compatible with the TomTom, but I'm about to get a new one. The ability to get updated maps is also important. Europe maps aren't needed. When we go we don't drive.

Since you guys are far more into this than I, I would greatly appreciate your opinions. I have read through the forum and while most of you are buying the latest and greatest, I really don't think I need that much unless you convince me otherwise
Old Nov 23, 2007, 10:03 am

I've had a Magellan 3050 for about a year. Love it!^
Old Nov 23, 2007, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Garmin 350 is rated very high by Consumer Reports, and that seems like a pretty good price. The Garmin StreetPilot c580 as well as the Tom Tom 910 or the Tom Tom One are also supposed to be very good.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 10:36 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
I just bought the Garmin 650 from Costco. The price is very good (I checked about 6-8 websites and the next closest was $100 more) and the nice thing about buying from Costco is you can take it back if you're not satisfied. So, no matter which one you go with you can take it back with no problem and get a different one.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I think I"m going to go with the Garmin. I did some more research and the price seems to be very good for the unit.

Thanks
Old Nov 23, 2007, 11:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I think I"m going to go with the Garmin. I did some more research and the price seems to be very good for the unit.

Thanks
Garmin makes a great GPS. I picked up the Nuvi 650 at Costco on the $299 deal and am very pleased with it, replacing a Garmin C330. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 11:18 am

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Talking

I have a TomTom ONE XL and love it to bits. But the TomTom 720 is nice too as well. You can easily update the maps online through the TomTom website, even download software updates for it as well, or even get traffic route updates online. Can you do with the Garmin?

Sanosuke!
Old Nov 23, 2007, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
The correct answer is always Garmin.
Ben's blog here notes the horrible customer issues he (and many others) have had with Magellan.

Here is a head to head test showing Tom Tom's routing logic to be far inferior to Garmin / Magellan. I've also heard the same thing from many Tom Tom users about the less than accurate routing.

So buy Garmin!
Old Nov 23, 2007, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
My wife's been loving her Garmin 350 for 4 months now, and we picked up the 650 (same, except widescreen) for her parents at Walmart ($298) yesterday morning.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The TomTom ONE XL is down to $125.00 at a couple of places, but I liked the Garmin 200w/ 250w interface better. I'm still holding out for a price break on the Garmin.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich
My wife's been loving her Garmin 350 for 4 months now, and we picked up the 650 (same, except widescreen) for her parents at Walmart ($298) yesterday morning.
Was that one of the unadvertised specials? I don't remember seeing that in the ad.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I found it while searching all of the links on bfads.com - Black Friday ads listing. They did include unadvertised in-store, on-line, etc., specials. It was gone by noon and it back to $448.

Costco is still showing it at $299, but hurry if you want it. I don't see it under $360 anywhere else (reputable).
Old Nov 24, 2007, 8:34 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
I own the 660 for rental car use, and have always had good luck with, and recommended, the Garmin units.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.