Wiki Posts
Search

Purchasing a Cell Phone in Italy?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2007, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Purchasing a Cell Phone in Italy?

I have reviewed a number of threads detailing the process for buying an unlocked phone and SIM for use in Europe. I have a question that I have not seen a detailed discussion of in the forum -- Is it possible to simply purchase a phone and SIM once I get to Italy? Is that cost effective? If it is possible, where should I make the purchase?

If it is not possible, can I simply purchase a SIM in Italy (assuming I have an unlocked phone)? If it is possible, where should I make the purchase and which service does anyone recommend?

As additional information, I plan on making calls within Italy and to the United States. Further, I do not need to know the phone number in advance nor do I need a phone that works in the U.S.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 12:43 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Can't recommend a specific service or purchase point but if I remember correctly Italy does not permit sales of locked phones. So you can buy phone and sim when you get there and the phone will work with any SIM you wish later on. It's often quite a bit cheaper to purchase such items in country vs. before you go.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
So it sounds like purchasing a phone on site is common. Any particular vendors that I should use?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.