Wiki Posts
Search

I want to buy a laptop with XP Pro installed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2007, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
I want to buy a laptop with XP Pro installed

I want to be able to seamlessly transfer files and use all the software (Photoshop, etc.) that's installed on our other 2 XP machines.

I don't want Vista. And I don't want to buy a machine with Vista and have to clean install XP Pro on it (much less run both OS on one machine).

If I'm not going to be able to get a laptop with the features I want and XP Pro, I'm really tempted to buy a Mac and install Parallels.

Advice? And if your advice is "Get a Mac", can you be honest, and specific, about the difficulties a non-techie like me will have installing and running Parallels? And will I really be able to use my Win-version Photoshop software or will I also have to spring for Mac-versions?

The Mac is pretty pricey to start with.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 4:18 pm

Programs: UAL Gold DL Silver Hilton GoldMarriott Gold
Options

Dell was recently offering the choice of XP or Vista operating systems so you might want to get on the phone with them to see if they are still doing so. As for the Mac option, yes indeed that would work for you. Not sure why you are concerned about Parallels that only enables you to operate back and forth from the Apple side to the Windows side. If you only want to work on the Windows XP Pro side then you simply open up that operating system and do your thing, it works independently of the Apple side. You will have to purchase the XP system to download since it does not come pre:installed on Apple computers.

Apple does come at a premium but you can save yourself a few bucks and buy a refurbished unit from the Apple Store or try one of the re sellers such as Mac Mall or Amazon that normally offers a small rebate.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 4:21 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
The easiest option is to order the Dell of your choice. Dell prominently offers XP on most/all their notebooks, you can configure as you wish online although you may get better pricing if you call and negotiate.

If you're looking to buy off the shelf, you won't find it except perhaps at a specialty store. You can wipe Vista and install XP but configuring drivers and such takes quite a bit of time even for an expert (read that as : I just bought a new laptop with Vista and am doing this at present).

I don't see any reason whatsoever to get a Mac unless you intend to use MacOS. They are suboptimal as Windows machines mostly due to the lack of discrete mouse buttons. Keyboard shortcuts exist but it's still not the best.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Okay, I see that I completely misunderstood the Parallels thing. I was not exaggerating when I said that I'm a non-techie. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Originally Posted by samftla
Dell was recently offering the choice of XP or Vista operating systems so you might want to get on the phone with them to see if they are still doing so. As for the Mac option, yes indeed that would work for you. Not sure why you are concerned about Parallels that only enables you to operate back and forth from the Apple side to the Windows side. If you only want to work on the Windows XP Pro side then you simply open up that operating system and do your thing, it works independently of the Apple side. You will have to purchase the XP system to download since it does not come pre:installed on Apple computers.

Apple does come at a premium but you can save yourself a few bucks and buy a refurbished unit from the Apple Store or try one of the re sellers such as Mac Mall or Amazon that normally offers a small rebate.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kanebear
The easiest option is to order the Dell of your choice. Dell prominently offers XP on most/all their notebooks, you can configure as you wish online although you may get better pricing if you call and negotiate.

If you're looking to buy off the shelf, you won't find it except perhaps at a specialty store. You can wipe Vista and install XP but configuring drivers and such takes quite a bit of time even for an expert (read that as : I just bought a new laptop with Vista and am doing this at present).

I don't see any reason whatsoever to get a Mac unless you intend to use MacOS. They are suboptimal as Windows machines mostly due to the lack of discrete mouse buttons. Keyboard shortcuts exist but it's still not the best.
I was trying to avoid Dell as I've been hearing a lot of negative reports lately about their laptops (not just the battery thing).

I really like my HP Pavilion laptop, but they absolutely don't offer XP on the Pavilions (that doesn't look right either with one "l" or two), and I don't want a Compaq.

Also, I'm getting a bit tired of the MS patches. I've had major probs with at least 3 rounds of patches in the past year or so and ended up having to do a repair install after the last problem download.

However, I appreciate your response and am definitely thinking about what you've written.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 5:02 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I strongly agree with the OP's desire for XP over Vista.

Lenovo also affers XP as an option. I SHOULD have done it on my last X61 purchase.

Last edited by roberto99; Nov 18, 2007 at 5:26 pm
Old Nov 18, 2007, 5:08 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
I recently bought a Fujitsu T-4220 tablet PC. I specified XP online (though I ended up doing it on the phone with them) and rather than having them install Office 2007, I bought Windows 2003 and installed it. Everything works beautifully. Great computer thus far.

Incidentally, I bought another table (Asus R-1 or something like that) from a reseller who installed XP over Vista somehow -- and it never worked right. I sent it back after a couple of weeks. So, I'd make sure they build it with XP from the start.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 5:27 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
There are currently some decent buys in the "Outlet" section of Lenovo.com for Thinkpads that have XP.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
Most major manufacturers are continuing to offer XP because of the marketplace response to Vista.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 5:56 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Good idea. At worse you can always buy a XP Pro OEM install and just install it yourself.
Like redburgundy mentioned, manufactures still offer XP, or closeouts from them
Old Nov 18, 2007, 6:14 pm

www.powernotebooks.com

best customer service in the business that Ive seen. very good laptops, reasonable prices, lots of options including XP
Old Nov 18, 2007, 6:35 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...sp?CatId=3449&

This link will list all Laptops that Tiger Direct is selling with XP Pro.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Tennisbum
And if your advice is "Get a Mac", can you be honest, and specific, about the difficulties a non-techie like me will have installing and running Parallels? And will I really be able to use my Win-version Photoshop software or will I also have to spring for Mac-versions?
running windows on a mac can be done in two ways: dual booting using boot camp (included in the operating system itself) or a third party virtualization app such as parallels desktop or vmware fusion.

to install boot camp, just run the assistant and it partitions the drive and updates the drivers for the mac. it is not really any more difficult than installing windows on a traditional pc. to switch from os x to windows, just change the startup drive and reboot.

for parallels or vmware, run the app, insert the windows cd, type in the registration key, and let it do its thing. one huge advantage of parallels or vmware is that windows applications run alongside os x, and you can use applications from either system on the same data, sharing files, clipboard, etc., with no rebooting required. another advantage is you can take a snapshot of your hard drive at any time and 'undo' any changes should it become compromised. they are also not limited to windows -- you can run os/2, linux and other systems if you so desire.

as for photoshop, you can run the windows version on the mac with either of the above methods, or adobe will offer a sidegrade to the mac version (it is very cheap, if i'm not mistaken). other software vendors may offer a similar option. if not, just run the windows version.

The Mac is pretty pricey to start with.
actually, if you configure it exactly the same (cpu speed, memory, hd, screen size, etc.), it is quite close and sometimes a little cheaper for a mac. some features that are standard on the mac and often overlooked when comparing are gigabit ethernet, firewire 400 (and 800 on the macbook pro), bluetooth 2.0 edr, 802.11b/g/n and a backlit keyboard (on the macbook pro).
Old Nov 18, 2007, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
I think Sony makes excellent machines. I have a TX as my travel computer.

Windows XP Pro is available preloaded on these Sony laptops: VGN-SZ360P/C, VGN-TXN15P/B, and VGN-SZ330P/B. More information at: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...0551&langId=-1
Old Nov 18, 2007, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Recently a Toshiba rep told me their lower-end machines are still available with XP.

A couple of months ago I bought a high-end one with XP from ProStar but beware that the stuff they offer are basically desktop-replacement machines. They are big and heavy and not what most people want in laptops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.