Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Replacement for T-Mobile MDA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2007, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CessnaJock
Not even if the user has a surface-mount rework station in the shop?

I'd rather do that than DiY anyway. Remember where you heard it? Google knows nada.
No, not even then. Unless you are able to rewrite the firmware for it.

Besides, you'll need a heck of a lot more than just an SMD bench to rebuild the baseband of one of these. Not to mention the fact that it would be a violation of the FCC type-ID to do so...
Old Nov 11, 2007, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

T-Mo is offering the Samsung T639 on 1700.

At the moment the T639 is only available at a very limited number (4) Company owned T-mobile stores in NYC.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
Originally Posted by ScottC
No, not even then. Unless you are able to rewrite the firmware for it.
That goes without saying. Do you think only uebermensch can hack code?

Besides, you'll need a heck of a lot more than just an SMD bench to rebuild the baseband of one of these. Not to mention the fact that it would be a violation of the FCC type-ID to do so...
Infirm of purpose! Give me the daggers.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That goes without saying. Do you think only uebermensch can hack code?
You know how to rewrite proprietary HTC firmware? You know how to recompile a radio baseband firmware file? REALLY?

You might want to let the people at xda-developers know, as in the past 5 years nobody has ever succeeded at writing their own radio flash.

What is your experience with Hard SPL and rewrapping custom RUU's?

If you want, I can pass your name on to some of the developers at xda-developers, who I'm sure will be quite interested to learn a few things from you.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
You know how to rewrite proprietary HTC firmware? You know how to recompile a radio baseband firmware file? REALLY?

You might want to let the people at xda-developers know, as in the past 5 years nobody has ever succeeded at writing their own radio flash.

What is your experience with Hard SPL and rewrapping custom RUU's?

If you want, I can pass your name on to some of the developers at xda-developers, who I'm sure will be quite interested to learn a few things from you.
If you've spent as much time in Taiwan as I have, you know a lot of things that most people don't.

My first question would have to be: what's in it for me?
Old Nov 11, 2007, 3:53 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
If you've spent as much time in Taiwan as I have, you know a lot of things that most people don't.

My first question would have to be: what's in it for me?
Money. You can sell the modded devices for a substantial premium. You deliver one working and I'll pay you 2x your cost. How do you plan to address the issue of the differences between WARC-92 UMTS bandplan vs. the FCC AWS implementation in the silicon?

As for the Samsung T639, I tried buying one last week at the same store I bought the then-exclusive Sidekick 3. They had none and acted as though they knew nothing about it. No live network yet; the government incumbents need to vacate the spectrum first and that's going slowly.

Last edited by kanebear; Nov 11, 2007 at 4:10 pm
Old Nov 11, 2007, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I have a HP iPaq Voice Messenger 510 - has been working pretty well for me for the past couple months. There's a new model that came out right after I got mine as well as a couple of full blown PDA versions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.