Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

what's the right amount of RAM for a road warrior?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what's the right amount of RAM for a road warrior?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2007, 3:29 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by CessnaJock
Please cite a source for this assertion. The Crucial article is very clear that accesses in dual-channel configuration are serial, not parallel. And the Tom's Hardware analysis cited in Wiki measures bandwidth of single- or dual-channel as almost identical.

(Emphasis added.)

I'm not sure what precisely you're arguing. I've advocated stuffing the laptop full of RAM as you can, be that 1, 2, 3, or 4 GB. This generally involves installing two identical modules which will both offer more RAM and permit dual-channel operation.

Your comment was that going to 2GB soDIMMs would affect battery life vs. 1GB sticks. Here is a Micron power budget calculator for DDR2. Now I can't pretend to understand all of this but I can plug in 1gb vs. 2 and see there's not much difference. Please correct me here where I'm wrong. Two modules will consume more power than one. Two 2gb modules will not consume significantly more power than two 1gb module.

The actual quote is that Dual Channel is insignificant for "most users". The memory bandwidth increase is still there. Not only that; Tom's Hardware hasn't been a reliable resource for several years now, I wouldn't be citing them. Also, you CAN run in dual channel with mixed modules. I've done it. All else equal, if you can have two channel operation, why wouldn't you want the bandwidth increase? Why would you run one 2gb module and one 1gb module? I never advocated merely running one module. Memory draws the LEAST power among HDD, LCD, CPU, chipset, etc.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
Originally Posted by anrkitec
Though it is not an exact analogy RAM running in dual channel mode is somewhat like stipping a pair of hard drives.
I respectfully disagree - in a striped disk array, data from all drives in the array arrive at the system's DMA bus simultaneously, whereas in a dual-channel memory, data from the two banks arrive asynchronously.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kanebear
I'm not sure what precisely you're arguing. I've advocated stuffing the laptop full of RAM as you can, be that 1, 2, 3, or 4 GB. This generally involves installing two identical modules which will both offer more RAM and permit dual-channel operation.

Your comment was that going to 2GB soDIMMs would affect battery life vs. 1GB sticks. Here is a Micron power budget calculator for DDR2. Now I can't pretend to understand all of this but I can plug in 1gb vs. 2 and see there's not much difference. Please correct me here where I'm wrong. Two modules will consume more power than one. Two 2gb modules will not consume significantly more power than two 1gb module.

The actual quote is that Dual Channel is insignificant for "most users". The memory bandwidth increase is still there. Not only that; Tom's Hardware hasn't been a reliable resource for several years now, I wouldn't be citing them. Also, you CAN run in dual channel with mixed modules. I've done it. All else equal, if you can have two channel operation, why wouldn't you want the bandwidth increase? Why would you run one 2gb module and one 1gb module? I never advocated merely running one module. Memory draws the LEAST power among HDD, LCD, CPU, chipset, etc.
I just googled dual channel performance increase and looked at a few of the hits on the first page. The smallest measured change was 0 and the greatest was 5%.

To reiterate: maxing out memory won't speed up every computer running every application. You really have to know what you're doing to design a memory strategy that makes sense from a price/performance/heat/battery point of view.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 11:05 pm

Please cite a source for this assertion. The Crucial article is very clear that accesses in dual-channel configuration are serial, not parallel. And the Tom's Hardware analysis cited in Wiki measures bandwidth of single- or dual-channel as almost identical.

(Emphasis added.)
Besides my 30+ years of work in the industry?

http://www.kingston.com/newtech/MKF_...whitepaper.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/133/1

Yes, it really does access both memory channels in parallel, effectively doubling the bandwidth to memory, but you will never see a doubling of performance by switching to dual channel mode. In fact, as you noted, most synthetic benchmarks show only a small improvement when using dual channel mode over single channel mode. There is, in fact, a real world performance boost when using dual channel mode, but the amount of performance boost you actually see is highly application dependent. Since all the "magic" to support dual-channel mode is already built into the chipset's memory controller, you don't lose anything by taking advantage of it.

BTW, Tom's Hardware just isn't what it used to be. Not sure what article you are citing there, or which crucial article you are citing.

Edit: I guess you are citing the Tom's hardware article linked from the wikipedia article on dual channel memory. They try to explain why there isn't as big of a performance boost today as when the dual channel memory architecture was introduced. Basically, they say it's the cache effect. Large 2MB and 4MB caches tend to hide long latency to/from memory, and that's true to some extent. Eventually, the cache will become full and cache lines will need to be displaced. I imagine that if you're running applications like large files in photo shop that are memory bound, dual channel memory will do a decent job at increasing your performance. If you're just accessing random bytes from all over the place, it probably won't do anything to increase your performance.

Still not sure what Crucial article you were trying to cite.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Nov 9, 2007 at 11:29 pm
Old Nov 10, 2007, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I find hibernate to be very useful when I'm traveling. Instead of powering off, I hibernate. Startup times from hibernate are very fast compared to a cold start.
Sure. But it starts up from sleep even faster... and given that a modern system can stay in "sleep" mode for a day or so (possibly longer, but the longest I've gone was about 20 hours), I'm not sure what the benefit of hibernate is these days.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I was about to post the same thing. I haven't used hibernate in years. I shut down only when I need to reboot to clean up some problem. Otherwise I just put it in sleep. It wakes up in about 5 seconds.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
And that makes sense for your situation, but not for the OP.

SmilingBoy.
The poster to which I responded wasn't asking the question of the OP.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by nkedel
Sure. But it starts up from sleep even faster... and given that a modern system can stay in "sleep" mode for a day or so (possibly longer, but the longest I've gone was about 20 hours), I'm not sure what the benefit of hibernate is these days.
If you have a battery that will hold a charge that long. Sleep is fine for you. Hibernate is not useless for other people, which is what you said in your other post. Plus, if the battery runs down in sleep mode, the laptop should automatically enter hibernate mode. And, if you really do want to turn the power off, perhaps because you are traveling on an airplane and you're supposed to turn off all electronic equipment, sleep mode doesn't do that.

-David
Old Nov 10, 2007, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
One thing not mentioned in this article:

Buy the minimum amount of RAM for you laptop from the manufacturer and also place an order with Crucial, OWC, or any of the other 3rd party memory makers.

I have an iMac that I bought 2 weeks ago. It came with 1GB of RAM. A 1 GB upgrade from Apple was $150 (taking the system to 2GB). I bought 4 GB (2 2GB DIMMs) for $167 from OWC and maxed it out and put the Apple chip it came with on eBay. I like using my Apple for video, pictures, along with having tons of things going at the same time.

You might not need the memory now, but why bother waiting and then upgrading later? Sure, memory may be cheaper then, but then you'd probably have to discard anything you put in there now to handle larger memory DIMMs.

To answer your question, though, I have 2GB in my Dell D820 laptop and it is more than adequate for my work purposes. I am still on XP, though.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Wow. I didn't know that the easy to this question would generate this much discussion.

I'll definitely buy the minimum from the manufacturer and get my upgrade independently. I think I'll start with 2 GB and then go from there. Thanks all!
Old Nov 10, 2007, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by nkedel
Sometimes I don't power on that quickly. To me, hibernate is "off." I rarely reboot/power down unless I'm installing updates that require it.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 9:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Besides my 30+ years of work in the industry?

http://www.kingston.com/newtech/MKF_...whitepaper.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/133/1

Yes, it really does access both memory channels in parallel, effectively doubling the bandwidth to memory, but you will never see a doubling of performance by switching to dual channel mode. In fact, as you noted, most synthetic benchmarks show only a small improvement when using dual channel mode over single channel mode. There is, in fact, a real world performance boost when using dual channel mode, but the amount of performance boost you actually see is highly application dependent. Since all the "magic" to support dual-channel mode is already built into the chipset's memory controller, you don't lose anything by taking advantage of it.

BTW, Tom's Hardware just isn't what it used to be. Not sure what article you are citing there, or which crucial article you are citing.

Edit: I guess you are citing the Tom's hardware article linked from the wikipedia article on dual channel memory. They try to explain why there isn't as big of a performance boost today as when the dual channel memory architecture was introduced. Basically, they say it's the cache effect. Large 2MB and 4MB caches tend to hide long latency to/from memory, and that's true to some extent. Eventually, the cache will become full and cache lines will need to be displaced. I imagine that if you're running applications like large files in photo shop that are memory bound, dual channel memory will do a decent job at increasing your performance. If you're just accessing random bytes from all over the place, it probably won't do anything to increase your performance.

Still not sure what Crucial article you were trying to cite.

-David
The memory bus is still only 64 bits wide, so there's no way to cram 128 bits into it no matter what you do (see the picture on Page 3 of the Intel article). From the CPU's point of view, data is going to and from the memory system 64 bits at a time. All that dual-channel memory accomplishes is to get the next 64 bits to the bus sooner than if the whole system had to wait for the setup (row and column strobes) of the next memory operation. This is called "interleaving" - which I learned about when I went to FE school at IBM in 1966.

I built a personal computer from parts in 1976, so I have a little experience in the field, too.

The Crucial article: http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...E=CT25664AC667
Old Nov 10, 2007, 3:24 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
The memory bus is still only 64 bits wide, so there's no way to cram 128 bits into it no matter what you do (see the picture on Page 3 of the Intel article). From the CPU's point of view, data is going to and from the memory system 64 bits at a time. All that dual-channel memory accomplishes is to get the next 64 bits to the bus sooner than if the whole system had to wait for the setup (row and column strobes) of the next memory operation. This is called "interleaving" - which I learned about when I went to FE school at IBM in 1966.

I built a personal computer from parts in 1976, so I have a little experience in the field, too.

The Crucial article: http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...E=CT25664AC667

Which Personal Computer would that have been back in 1976?

That would be 64 bits per module. Dual Channel DDR operates at 128 bit width on most chipsets. For some, two memory controllers run each module at 64 bits separately allowing parallel access. Either way, you get a bandwidth increase. Even with dual channel you will not saturate the bus given current memory speeds..

Here're some benchmarks. You were saying???

Code:
SiSoftware Sandra

Benchmark Results
Int Buff'd iSSE2 Memory Bandwidth : 3658 MB/s
Float Buff'd iSSE2 Memory Bandwidth : 3674 MB/s
Results Interpretation : Higher index values are better.

Int Buff'd iSSE2 Memory Bandwidth
Assignment : 3626 MB/s
Scaling : 3616 MB/s
Addition : 3671 MB/s
Triad : 3722 MB/s
Data Item Size : 16 byte(s)
Buffering Used : Yes
Offset Displacement Used : Yes
Bandwidth Efficiency : 57% (estimated)

Float Buff'd iSSE2 Memory Bandwidth
Assignment : 3681 MB/s
Scaling : 3679 MB/s
Addition : 3698 MB/s
Triad : 3639 MB/s
Bandwidth Efficiency : 57% (estimated)

Performance Test Status
Run ID : ZEPTO-6024W on 22 August 2007 at 19:11:03
Platform Compliance : Win32 x86
Memory Used by Test : 512MB
NUMA Support : No
SMP (Multi-Processor) Benchmark : No
Total Test Threads : 1
Multi-Core Test : Yes
SMT (Multi-Threaded) Benchmark : No
Processor Affinity : P0C0T0 
System Timer : 14MHz
Page Size : 4kB
Use Large Memory Pages : No

Features
SSE Technology : Yes
SSE2 Technology : Yes
SSE3 Technology : Yes
Supplemental SSE3 Technology : Yes
SSE4 Technology : No
EMMX - Extended MMX Technology : No
SSE4A Technology : No
HTT - Hyper-Threading Technology : No

Chipset 1
Model : Inventec Corp Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Express Processor to DRAM Controller
Revision : A4
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 200MHz (800MHz data rate)
Width : 64-bit
Maximum Bus Bandwidth : 6400MB/s (estimated)

Logical/Chipset 1 Memory Banks
Bank 0 : 1GB DDR2-SDRAM 5.0-5-5-15 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) CR1
Bank 1 : 1GB DDR2-SDRAM 5.0-5-5-15 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) CR1
Shared Memory : 8MB
Channels : 1
Memory Bus Speed : 4x 333MHz (1332MHz data rate)
Performance Acceleration Technology : No
Memory Controller in Processor : No
Maximum Memory Bus Bandwidth : 10656MB/s (estimated)

Performance Tips
Notice 5405 : System bandwidth appears FSB limited. Attempt to increase FSB.
Notice 5008 : To change benchmarks, click Options.
Notice 5004 : Synthetic benchmark. May not tally with 'real-life' performance.
Notice 5006 : Only compare the results with ones obtained using the same version!
Warning 5010 : Cannot use Large Memory Pages due to lack of privileges.
Warning 2544 : System/Video shared memory greatly reduces performance. Use external video card.
Tip 2 : Double-click tip or press Enter while a tip is selected for more information about the tip.

SiSoftware Sandra

Benchmark Results
Int Buff'd iSSE2 Memory Bandwidth : 3847 MB/s
Float Buff'd iSSE2 Memory Bandwidth : 3859 MB/s

Assignment : 3773 MB/s
Scaling : 3752 MB/s
Addition : 3926 MB/s
Triad : 3937 MB/s
Bandwidth Efficiency : 60% (estimated)

Assignment : 3823 MB/s
Scaling : 3832 MB/s
Addition : 3922 MB/s
Triad : 3862 MB/s
Bandwidth Efficiency : 60% (estimated)

Performance Test Status
Run ID : ZEPTO-6024W on 22 August 2007 at 21:34:45

Features

Chipset 1
Model : Inventec Corp Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Express Processor to DRAM Controller

Bank 0 : 512MB DDR2-SDRAM 5.0-5-5-15 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) CR1
Bank 1 : 512MB DDR2-SDRAM 5.0-5-5-15 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) CR1
Bank 4 : 1GB DDR2-SDRAM 5.0-5-5-15 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) CR1
Bank 5 : 1GB DDR2-SDRAM 5.0-5-5-15 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) CR1
Channels : 2
Maximum Memory Bus Bandwidth : 21312MB/s (estimated)

Performance Tips
Notice 5006 : Only compare the results with ones obtained using the same version!
Warning 2544 : System/Video shared memory greatly reduces performance. Use external video card.
Tip 2 : Double-click tip or press Enter while a tip is selected for more information about the tip.

SiSoftware Sandra

Benchmark Results
Int Buff'd iSSE2 Memory Bandwidth : 3980 MB/s
Float Buff'd iSSE2 Memory Bandwidth : 4015 MB/s

Assignment : 3951 MB/s
Scaling : 3914 MB/s
Addition : 4030 MB/s
Triad : 4027 MB/s
Bandwidth Efficiency : 62% (estimated)

Assignment : 3941 MB/s
Scaling : 3959 MB/s
Addition : 4102 MB/s
Triad : 4058 MB/s
Bandwidth Efficiency : 63% (estimated)

Performance Test Status
Run ID : ZEPTO-6024W on 22 August 2007 at 19:33:08

Features

Chipset 1

Bank 0 : 512MB DDR2-SDRAM 5.0-5-5-15 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) CR1
Bank 1 : 512MB DDR2-SDRAM 5.0-5-5-15 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) CR1
Bank 4 : 512MB DDR2-SDRAM 5.0-5-5-15 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) CR1
Bank 5 : 512MB DDR2-SDRAM 5.0-5-5-15 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) CR1
Channels : 2
Maximum Memory Bus Bandwidth : 21312MB/s (estimated)

Performance Tips
Old Nov 10, 2007, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Which Personal Computer would that have been back in 1976?
Sphere I (M6800, 750kHz, 4k RAM 1k ROM 9" 16x32 char. CRT)

Here're some benchmarks. You were saying???
Tell me what results you want the benchmarks to show, and I'll write the diagnostic that shows them.

168-pin Dual Inline Memory Modules have 64-bit data paths. Dual-channel memory controllers do not access two DIMMs simultaneously. The data goes in and out of the CPU 64 bits at a time. By overlapping setup in one module with gating data onto the bus in the other, some increased throughput can be realized.

For some, two memory controllers run each module at 64 bits separately allowing parallel access.
Well, gee, I would expect doubling the memory controllers might have a dramatic effect. But that has nothing to do with the fact that dual-channel memory doesn't have twice the bandwidth of single-channel. Adding controllers is...cheating.

Last edited by CessnaJock; Nov 10, 2007 at 5:06 pm
Old Nov 10, 2007, 7:18 pm

168-pin Dual Inline Memory Modules have 64-bit data paths.
Correct.

Dual-channel memory controllers do not access two DIMMs simultaneously.
Yes, they do. The MCH issues 2 requests in parallel, one to each memory channel (or one to each DIMM). That's what's shown on page 3 of the Kingston article.

The data goes in and out of the CPU 64 bits at a time. By overlapping setup in one module with gating data onto the bus in the other, some increased throughput can be realized.
That's true in single channel mode. In dual channel mode, they transmit 128 bits of data at a time in between the processor and memory.

In order to delve deeper, we'd have to look at the architecture of the front side bus, which is proprietary. I believe that you're correct that there's 64 data pins for the FSB, but they don't have to transmit two entire packets for 128 bits of data. They transmit the data in two phases of the clock, without an intermediate handshake. In 64-bit single channel mode, they probably have to transmit two entire address/data packets to transmit 128 bits of sequentially aligned data between the processor and the MCH, so there's more overhead in single-channel mode for the same amount of sequential data. But, because the basic data width is still 64-bits, you won't see a doubling of performance when dual-channel mode is enabled.

I think we've covered this to death at this point.

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.