Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

what's the right amount of RAM for a road warrior?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what's the right amount of RAM for a road warrior?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2007, 8:00 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by ahallflyertalk
The "system cache" number in Task Manager represents the amount of physical memory in use, including that used by programs and the file cache. At the moment, my task manager shows about 800MB in use and a system cache of 816MB; "Available" is listed as 1.2GB, so clearly the cache isn't in addition to memory used by programs.
I am not sure that's right.

I have 1G of physical RAM, plus a 1.4G swap file, i.e. a total of 2419M virtual memory. "Commit Charge" shows up as 616M. This is the memory used by programs. System cache is now at 420M, and available at 262M. So, of my 1G physical memory, 420M are taken for file cache, 262M are available and 1024-420-262=342M are used by programs. 616M-342M=274M are swapped to the HD.

If you have Linux, install htop. It shows you all that very nicely.

SmilingBoy.

Edit: Here's a good explanation: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000393.html

Last edited by SmilingBoy; Nov 8, 2007 at 8:11 pm
Old Nov 8, 2007, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
Originally Posted by kanebear
Adding a stick of memory, perhaps. Yet one wants to be running in dual channel mode anyway. Have you looked at the incremental powerdrain from a 1gb soDIMM to a 2gb soDIMM?
I don't follow. Dual-channel isn't a "mode" - it's a way of designing a motherboard so the latencies inherent in memory gating circuitry in one module overlap with data transfer in the other. Think of a "tag-team" arrangement. It's entirely possible to simply add a second DIMM to accomplish this (and double the dissipation in the process). And DC only increases memory bandwidth by a few percent anyway. If I had one 1gb module in my laptop, I'd double it by buying another just like it (DC only works if the chip electronics in the two sticks are well-matched), not scrapping the 1gb to put in a 2gb.

A lot of people thing there's "single-channel" and "dual-channel" memory - but there's not.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Uh, sorry, this is just not true. If you have 2GB of RAM and are using only 1GB, the other 1GB is indeed sitting there idle.

You seem to be thinking of disk caching, which means that the first time you access a file on disk, it is loaded into a cache in RAM (most recently access parts of it, anyway) and any subsequent accesses to the same piece of the file get read quickly from the cache and not from the disk again. But, hard disks themselves have a cache built-in. Computer operating systems may do some disk caching but must reserve RAM for that, and the amount reserved is pretty limited. A hard disk will have a cache of only 8MB or 16MB at most. Not much RAM on your computer's hard disk is reserved for a cache.
I've seen the speed difference between the data being in memory and having to pull it in off the disk. The largest cache I've seen on a drive is 16mb. I've watched things zoom by on multi-hundred-megabyte chunks of data because it was in memory. The cache on the drive isn't going to give that speed on something that big.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kanebear
Yes, yet 4GB (2x2GB) will run in dual channel mode. The OS only uses what it can and the rest goes to waste, but as cheap as RAM is, why not? I now have 4GB in my home machine (2x2GB) and office (4x1GB). No downside that I've seen.
Yes, RAM is amazingly cheap right now [shhh, but I myself also have 4 GBs of Corsair 667 in both my Sony SZ and Thinkpad T61 ].
Old Nov 9, 2007, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Computer operating systems may do some disk caching but must reserve RAM for that, and the amount reserved is pretty limited.
Modern operating systems allocate RAM dynamically; there's no need for static allocation for cache. Old MacOS versions did, as did DOS ("Smartdrv") and Windows 3.x... all of which are dead obsolete now.

A hard disk will have a cache of only 8MB or 16MB at most. Not much RAM on your computer's hard disk is reserved for a cache.
The hard drive's internal cache is separate from the caching done by the operating system (and indeed, the HD is unaware of the operating system's caching, and the OS is largely unaware of the HD's caching.)

Any RAM used by a file cache must be claimed and taken from free RAM but it's not very large.
The cache file wouldn't be any bigger, because it's based on the applications I have open, not on available RAM.
If so, Windows is even dumber than I thought...

Linux and most other operating systems *will* just fill up extra memory with file system caches, and that can have a *big* impact on disk drive use. Caching on reads is free if you have the memory to spare, and speculative read-ahead is part of modern file system design.

I'm fairly sure though, that Windows isn't nearly that dumb.

But you wouldn't even notice the difference - except for more disk space required to hibernate, more time to hibernate and resume.
Hibernate is hardly very useful with modern battery lifetimes and low power sleep.

Originally Posted by CessnaJock
I don't follow. Dual-channel isn't a "mode"
Yes it is; it's a mode of operation for the motherboard... dual channel or single channel mode (or potentially quad-channel, on the new Xeon boards), depending on the memory configuration.

it's a way of designing a motherboard so the latencies inherent in memory gating circuitry in one module overlap with data transfer in the other.
No, that's interleaved memory, which is a separate issue.

Dual channel reads (or writes) are simultaneous, and have no impact on latency - rather, they have an impact on bandwidth. Dual channel means, essentially, that memory is being read in a 128-bit chunk at a time (a pair of DIMMs) rather than in 64-bit chunks (a single DIMM wide.)

And DC only increases memory bandwidth by a few percent anyway.
That's simply wrong - dual channel doubles the memory bandwidth.

Which, depending on the generation of the processor/motherboad, may or may not make a huge difference in overall system speed... for the Pentium 4, this was a very big deal, as the front side bus of the processors out at the time was twice the speed of the first-generation DDR memory, and so in order to match the FSB, dual channel made a HUGE difference.

With current laptops and faster-clocked DDR2 memory, the difference is not nearly as big, but it's still significant.

If I had one 1gb module in my laptop, I'd double it by buying another just like it (DC only works if the chip electronics in the two sticks are well-matched), not scrapping the 1gb to put in a 2gb.

A lot of people thing there's "single-channel" and "dual-channel" memory - but there's not.
Yes and no; single or dual channel isn't inherent in terms of the memory itself(other than that the timings and sizes have to match) but rather the configuration of the memory system - the motherboard plus memory in matched pairs. That said, pretty much all motherboards still on the market support dual channel.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 5:53 am

Can any of you tell me what in the world you would need 3GB of RAM for on a basic laptop?? Seriously. I have 2GB on my Dell XP laptop, but I almost never use more than 1GB, and that's only when I'm editing photos. If you aren't, you really don't need much RAM. 3GB is way overkill for someone using XP, unless you do heavy photo or video editing or have some specific software that really uses that RAM. Vista is more of a memory hog than XP, that's why I recommend 2GB for it.

Can any of you tell me right now how much RAM you are using at this moment? I have 9 Firefox windows open and a photo editor and I'm using 720MB out of my 2GB. I've never come close to using it all. Even so, running a little over is not the end of the world - it just means you swap some RAM out to hard disk.
I do systems integration work in healthcare, and have to support multiple versions of applications and operating environments. I run Windows XP as my host operating system, and use VMWare with Win2K and Linux guests to maintain my discrete work environments (saves a lot of hassle when upgrading laptops, too). I commonly have close to 2GB in use, with common office applications running in the host operating system and 2-3 virtual machines running for my integration work environments.

My current laptop is an IBM/Lenovo T60 with 2GB of RAM and a 2.33GHz C2D. I've occasionally felt the need for more RAM.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by PorkRind
I do systems integration work in healthcare, and have to support multiple versions of applications and operating environments. I run Windows XP as my host operating system, and use VMWare with Win2K and Linux guests to maintain my discrete work environments (saves a lot of hassle when upgrading laptops, too). I commonly have close to 2GB in use, with common office applications running in the host operating system and 2-3 virtual machines running for my integration work environments.

My current laptop is an IBM/Lenovo T60 with 2GB of RAM and a 2.33GHz C2D. I've occasionally felt the need for more RAM.
And that makes sense for your situation, but not for the OP.

SmilingBoy.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 9:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nkedel
No, that's interleaved memory, which is a separate issue.

Dual channel reads (or writes) are simultaneous, and have no impact on latency - rather, they have an impact on bandwidth. Dual channel means, essentially, that memory is being read in a 128-bit chunk at a time (a pair of DIMMs) rather than in 64-bit chunks (a single DIMM wide.)
I can't find anything that says access from both channels is simultaneous. I use the terms "2-way interleaved" and "dual-channel" interchangeably.

The terminology "dual-channel memory" is being misused by some in the memory industry, which can mislead the consumer. The fact is there's no such thing as dual-channel memory. There are, however, dual-channel platforms.

When properly used, the term "dual channel" refers to the DDR or DDR2 chipset on certain motherboards designed with two memory channels instead of one. The two channels handle memory-processing more efficiently by utilizing the theoretical bandwidth of the two modules, thus reducing system latencies, the timing delays that inherently occur with one memory module. For example, one controller reads and writes data while the second controller prepares for the next access, hence, eliminating the reset and setup delays that occur before one memory module can begin the read/write process all over again. Think of it like two relay runners. The first runner runs one leg while the second runner sets up and prepares to receive the baton smoothly and carry on the task at hand without delay. While performance gains from dual-channel chipsets aren't huge, they can increase bandwidth by as much as 10 percent. To those seeking to push the performance envelope, that 10 percent can be very important.
That sounds right. It's from a memory manufacturer. See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-ch...Actual_results
Old Nov 9, 2007, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CessnaJock
I can't find anything that says access from both channels is simultaneous. I use the terms "2-way interleaved" and "dual-channel" interchangeably.
???

No one has suggested that there is such a thing as "dual channel memory".

Dual channel "whatever" is a function of the motherboard using, in multiples of two, identically spec'd RAM modules.

Though it is not an exact analogy RAM running in dual channel mode is somewhat like stipping a pair of hard drives.

I don't quite see what the hang up is on this issue is. Dual channel mode mobos is just where commercially available/affordable state-of-the-art is right now.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 10:00 am

Hibernate is hardly very useful with modern battery lifetimes and low power sleep.
I find hibernate to be very useful when I'm traveling. Instead of powering off, I hibernate. Startup times from hibernate are very fast compared to a cold start.

------------

Running the memory controller in dual channel mode effectively doubles the memory bandwidth. It runs 128 bit memory accesses instead of running a single 64-bit memory channel. It accesses 64-bits from each DIMM in the dual-channel configuration at the same time, instead of only being able to access one 64-bit read/write at a time (in the same clock cycles). So, if you look at the path to memory as a pipe, in dual-channel mode, the pipe is twice as thick. Even better, there are two pipes operating at the same time as one pipe of the same width in single channel mode.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Nov 9, 2007 at 10:09 am
Old Nov 9, 2007, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I find hibernate to be very useful when I'm traveling. Instead of powering off, I hibernate. Startup times from hibernate are very fast compared to a cold start.

-David
agree entirely. I hardly shut down my laptop normally anymore.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 10:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Running the memory controller in dual channel mode effectively doubles the memory bandwidth. It runs 128 bit memory accesses instead of running a single 64-bit memory channel. It accesses 64-bits from each DIMM in the dual-channel configuration at the same time, instead of only being able to access one 64-bit read/write at a time (in the same clock cycles). So, if you look at the path to memory as a pipe, in dual-channel mode, the pipe is twice as thick. Even better, there are two pipes operating at the same time as one pipe of the same width in single channel mode.
Please cite a source for this assertion. The Crucial article is very clear that accesses in dual-channel configuration are serial, not parallel. And the Tom's Hardware analysis cited in Wiki measures bandwidth of single- or dual-channel as almost identical.

Tom's Hardware found no significant difference between single-channel and dual-channel configurations in synthetic and game benchmarks.[2] Generally speaking, dual channel configuration is a very minor upgrade, and without other system tweaks, the difference may not even be noticeable. While there is no reason not to use dual-channel over single-channel, where all other things are equal, the question often comes up whether it is advisable to add additional RAM if doing so will break dual-channel compatibility. Having more total RAM available is generally more beneficial than maintaining dual-channel configuration.
(Emphasis added.)
Old Nov 9, 2007, 11:12 am

Modern operating systems allocate RAM dynamically; there's no need for static allocation for cache. Old MacOS versions did, as did DOS ("Smartdrv") and Windows 3.x... all of which are dead obsolete now.

The hard drive's internal cache is separate from the caching done by the operating system (and indeed, the HD is unaware of the operating system's caching, and the OS is largely unaware of the HD's caching.)

If so, Windows is even dumber than I thought...

Linux and most other operating systems *will* just fill up extra memory with file system caches, and that can have a *big* impact on disk drive use. Caching on reads is free if you have the memory to spare, and speculative read-ahead is part of modern file system design.

I'm fairly sure though, that Windows isn't nearly that dumb.
Well, that's how XP allocates RAM by default unless you turn on the System Cache, which Microsoft does not recommend for clients. I use Linux and FreeBSD as well and am well aware of their differing memory models. I monitor my computer's RAM use frequently. I'm talking about Windows, the most commonly-used OS here...

Hbernate is hardly very useful with modern battery lifetimes and low power sleep.
Maybe not for you, but as you can read from this thread, it's very useful for a number of us. I use hibernate every day. I also use standby when I'm only going to have the computer off for brief periods.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I've seen the speed difference between the data being in memory and having to pull it in off the disk. The largest cache I've seen on a drive is 16mb. I've watched things zoom by on multi-hundred-megabyte chunks of data because it was in memory. The cache on the drive isn't going to give that speed on something that big.
Great - but that's irrelevant here, since Windows XP (for clients, anyway) is designed to work better with a smaller file/application cache and does not use up all your unavailable RAM for a big system cache unless you ignore Microsoft's advice and enable the system cache. I don't know why XP doesn't work well with the System Cache - ask Microsoft. My point stands: unless you are running out of RAM and have a real need for it, buying way more than you need is just a waste of money.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 12:02 pm

Great - but that's irrelevant here, since Windows XP (for clients, anyway) is designed to work better with a smaller file/application cache and does not use up all your unavailable RAM for a big system cache unless you ignore Microsoft's advice and enable the system cache. I don't know why XP doesn't work well with the System Cache - ask Microsoft. My point stands: unless you are running out of RAM and have a real need for it, buying way more than you need is just a waste of money.
That's not true. Please see the link I provided earlier. The number shown as "system cache" is the file cache. It runs into hundreds of MB.

SmilingBoy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.