Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Please don't laugh - my ipod has been washed.

Please don't laugh - my ipod has been washed.

Old Nov 8, 2007, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Heard the one about the radio studio and the mixing desk in it that had an entire pint of coffee poured into it? (it wasn't me BTW) It took the entire studio out of action for a week whilst the engineers replaced parts and tested all the fader channels in the desk very carefully after first drying it out.

Sugary water is nasty stuff with electronics so be careful out there, I was intorduced to someone who had dried out his phone which had been in orange juice (for sometime I'm told). He expected it to work fine after this despite not washing the orange juice off, and needless to say was wondering why when he reconnected the battery it didn't spring into life. I explained that a morning soaking wasn't good for it (yes that's a whole morning) and that yes they would know he had done it if he tried to take it back saying it didn't work.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 7:36 pm

Are you sure the stupidity insurance doesn't sell their data to employers and recruitment agencies?
Old Nov 8, 2007, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Heard the one about the radio studio and the mixing desk in it that had an entire pint of coffee poured into it? (it wasn't me BTW) It took the entire studio out of action for a week whilst the engineers replaced parts and tested all the fader channels in the desk very carefully after first drying it out.

Sugary water is nasty stuff with electronics so be careful out there, I was intorduced to someone who had dried out his phone which had been in orange juice (for sometime I'm told). He expected it to work fine after this despite not washing the orange juice off, and needless to say was wondering why when he reconnected the battery it didn't spring into life. I explained that a morning soaking wasn't good for it (yes that's a whole morning) and that yes they would know he had done it if he tried to take it back saying it didn't work.
Good advice - to which I would add: if you have to wash beverages or slime out of your phone use only distilled water or a hydrocarbon solvent like TCE, because the minerals that make water "hard" can form current paths on the circuit boards in the drying process. My brother-in-law dropped his RAZR into the pond in front of his farm house and used well water to clean it. Rinse, dry, power up, and zzzzt!

Good luck.

Last edited by CessnaJock; Nov 8, 2007 at 8:09 pm Reason: Afterthought: denaturated alcohol would probably also work. Easier to get than carcinogens.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 7:44 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Placing under a halogen desk lamp or another heat source for a day or two might dry it out. I salvaged a friends cell phone this way. It did not help that she completely dismantled it before handing me a ziploc bag of parts and broken wires. A little soldering and it was OK. Battery was shot though.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 8:59 pm

Programs: Inventor of the "Eskimojito" featuring Canadian Mint/Buquebus Rowing Team
I would never laugh. I washed (and dried) my son's cell phone.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by YYCWoMaN
if you have opened it, just leave it on a small towel or facecloth to get the 'sloshing' water out of it for a few minutes.... then put it in a zipper bag with a silica gel pouch or capsule (in vitamins, shoes, etc ~ there always seems to be some available).
If it is saveable - this method should work.

I have done this with supposedly waterproof watches and (blushing) my cell phone ~ I think it's the unassembling, dabbing and scrubbing that does most damage.

Let us know what happens --- this is 'good to know' material!
Then use a hair dryer...wat a week or so to turn back on (Most likely won't work, but what have you got to lose?))
Old Nov 12, 2007, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
A quick update:

The ipod is yet again taken apart and is with a friend of mine in Germany. If he can repair it - great! My sister then have an ipod video. If he can't repair it - no major loss. I'm picking up a "new" of the same capacity when I return home from my german trip. I am currently running my entertainment on an old ipod mini that I resurrected by changing the battery. Blooming spare part cost a fortune but well worth it. My mom is inheriting it on my return.

On a diffrent note: I was given a Lacie mobile HDD of 250GB. We've done a wee-bit of surgery down here. Basically swapped the 120gb internal drive in the macbook pro with the 250GB WD Scorpio that was in the Lacie drive. Bliss!!! It will be a while before I need to travel with spare drives.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 7:10 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by Emma65
A quick update:

The ipod is yet again taken apart and is with a friend of mine in Germany. If he can repair it - great! My sister then have an ipod video. If he can't repair it - no major loss. I'm picking up a "new" of the same capacity when I return home from my german trip. I am currently running my entertainment on an old ipod mini that I resurrected by changing the battery. Blooming spare part cost a fortune but well worth it. My mom is inheriting it on my return.

On a diffrent note: I was given a Lacie mobile HDD of 250GB. We've done a wee-bit of surgery down here. Basically swapped the 120gb internal drive in the macbook pro with the 250GB WD Scorpio that was in the Lacie drive. Bliss!!! It will be a while before I need to travel with spare drives.
Space is a beyoootiful thing. As for ordering the new iPod... see if you can get it from the 'states. Does Amazon ship electronics abroad? You'll save a ton. Same with iPod spares. HTTP://www.ifixit.com is great... I note that the replacement mini battery is $14.95. You should shoot whomever sold you the battery.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Originally Posted by kanebear
HTTP://www.ifixit.com is great... I note that the replacement mini battery is $14.95. You should shoot whomever sold you the battery.
ifixit.com was on a linux machine while changing the HDD in he MBP. Love the extra space.

$14.95 for the battery is a great deal. With current devaluation of the US$ I paid almost $50 for the one I got in a shop in Sweden (authorized Apple reseller - you pay through the nose).

The iPod video will be tested with spares from Ebay.

The iPod I'm picking up when I get home is bought on ebay for the equal amount of the excess on the insurance. No point in claiming and losing the bonus.

Think we have it all covered now but are thinking of getting a different back to fit a larger drive in the ipod video.

Right, I need some food.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.