Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Please don't laugh - my ipod has been washed.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please don't laugh - my ipod has been washed.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2007, 5:01 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by Emma65
Being out of warranty is the last thing I'm worried about right now.

It's on a low set radiator between linen kitchen towels right now.

My beer is empty so I'm going to nod off.

/E
One thing. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY. What kills electronics isn't water. It's shorting out due to minerals in the water and trying to turn the device on while it's wet. As long as nothing turns green (E.G. corrosion on the traces/solder pads) you're ok.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What kind of iPod?

Seriously...

A flash iPod (Nano, Shuffle) could be saved if well dried, but a HDD version will probably be a problem if water gets inside the drive. THAT is near impossible to get out.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 6:06 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Originally Posted by ScottC
What kind of iPod?

Seriously...

A flash iPod (Nano, Shuffle) could be saved if well dried, but a HDD version will probably be a problem if water gets inside the drive. THAT is near impossible to get out.
Yeah, I'm surprised with this many posts it hasn't come up yet. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the title, that a standard hard disk unit would be toast, but solid state (nano, shuffle) might survive as long as it was not powered on while wet.

Yeah, stupidity coverage, sounds great. Sometimes the credit card company offers a benefit that will cover accidental damage, but this is usually short-term right after it was bought. Another possible benefit is extending the manufacturer's warranty, but that wouldn't apply in this case since it is accidental damage rather than a defect in the product.

Good luck.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 6:14 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I salvaged my son's MP3 player after a washing. The battery must come out and the hairdryer will do the rest. I also brought 2 out of 3 cell phones back to life with this method after a monsoon at his graduation.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 6:20 pm

Programs: US,HH
I have to find out where to get the stupidity coverage. Not only have I had an Ipod washed but I've also had a leather coat washed by the Ex-step children
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:16 pm

Programs: DL, Starwood, SWA, United. RIP NWA.
Don't give up on it yet. My cell phone recovered from a full, extended submersion in Coke - the real stuff, not the unsugared diet version.

After a dry-out and a gentle cleanup (I admit to rinsing it under a faucet) it's been working fine for a couple of years.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:25 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
My 20GB ipod was washed.... I used a hair dryer, and left it without any use for like 4 days... when I tried to use it again, it worked very good, but this was because apparently there was no water damage on the HD.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 2:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
The iPod is one thing, but you might want to re-wash really well the clothes that were in that load with all of the lead, cadmium, and other toxics that were sloshed about with that thing in there.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Originally Posted by Business as usual
My cell phone recovered from a full, extended submersion in Coke - the real stuff
Which rehab facility did you send it to?

(sorry, couldn't resist)
Old Nov 8, 2007, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
What kind of iPod?
5G iPod video.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 9:29 am

Programs: DL GM
Did you see this article in today's NYTimes?

"Don’t Throw Out Your Broken iPod; Fix It via the Web"
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/08/te.../08basics.html
Old Nov 8, 2007, 9:47 am

Programs: NWA, Delta, AA
I had a 1/2 a bottle of coke spill into my old edition U2 ipod. The bottle of coke came open while my ipod was in my bag. I did everthing I could do to save it. But, I could not even turn it on. I went to the mac store explained everything and they replaced my ipod.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 1:47 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by Emma65
5G iPod video.
Even if the drive is toast, you can replace the HDD quite reasonably. Look for a 1.8" ZIF hard drive. you don't want micro-ATA. If it was a 30gb iPod you are limited in what you can use. The 60gb used a larger drive and can take anything. You can also order the larger back and use a bigger drive.

In the UK, span.com is a source for the drives you'd need. For ~US$130 you can get a 40GB drive that'd fit in the slimmer 30gb case, or for ~US$200 you can get a 100gb that'd need the larger back.

Before you do that though, go into an Apple store and see what they say. They may swap it out or offer a refurb very cheaply.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Second this about electricity being the real killer. If you flood your electronics step #1 is to get rid of all sources of power and don't think about trying it until it's clean and dry.

Note that if it was *WASH*ed (soap cycle but not the rinse cycle) then you'll want to carefully rinse it before drying--you don't want residue. Likewise the guy with the coke--you need to rinse that out before drying.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Snagged the one on tradera (ebay in sweden) and hopefully picking it up tomorrow. As well as picking up external 250GB HDD (probably going to install it internally on the MBP) a Garmin Nuvi GPS and then straight off to airport. A week in Germany awaits me.

/E

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.