Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Sign in using an external account

Closed Thread

Old Nov 7, 07, 12:04 pm   #1

Programs: UA ex 1P/now 2P; Hertz 5* (but who isn't)
iPhone SIM unlock?

Looking at my AT&T wireless account online for my iPhone today, I find that I can get an 8-digit PUK code (SIM unlock code) from the website. Will this really work for the iPhone with a locally purchased SIM overseas? I thought the iPhone was still absolutely SIM locked to AT&T.

Note my phone is not jailbreaked or otherwise hacked - it is still stock, running 1.1.1.

I may simply be misunderstanding what the PUK code is really for.

Quote:
Unblock SIM Card

To unblock your SIM card, follow the instructions below on your phone.

Apple iPhone

[first name last name redacted]
402xxxxxxx

PUK Code : xxxxxxxx

How to Unblock your SIM Card

You'll need your phone in hand to unblock your SIM Card.

1. First, enter the 8-digit PUK code, then press OK/Yes.
Note: Some Motorola phone users will need to enter **05* if "enter PUK" is not already displayed. After entering **05*, then enter the 8-digit PUK code and press OK.
2. Select a new PIN code, then press OK/Yes.
3. Re-enter the PIN code, then press OK/Yes.
4. If the codes were entered successfully, the phone is ready for use.

Important: If the incorrect PUK (Pin Unlock Key) code is entered 10 times in a row, the SIM card will become permanently locked, and you must purchase a new SIM card. If your device is requesting PUK 2 please call Customer Care at 1-800-331-0500.

Last edited by omahajim; Nov 7, 07 at 12:09 pm.
Old Nov 7, 07, 1:22 pm   #2

Programs: UA former 1K MM
Unlocking the PIN is different from unlocking the SIM.
Old Nov 7, 07, 5:08 pm   #3

Programs: Dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt.
The PUK code is only useful if you ever forget your PIN code and mis-enter it too many times. IF you don't have the PUK code and guess??? You'll fry your SIM and need to replace it if you try to enter THAT too many times.
Old Nov 7, 07, 10:38 pm   #4

Programs: UA ex 1P/now 2P; Hertz 5* (but who isn't)
Thanks for setting me straight on that one.

Guess I'll be looking for a cheap unlocked handset to use with a local prepaid SIM while outside the US. Not gonna pay the AT&T international rates.
Old Nov 8, 07, 10:52 am   #5

Programs: AA EXP/MM, A3*S, SPG Plat100/LT Plat, Hertz PC, National Exec
Why not just unlock the iPhone?

You may want to look at Hackintosh for discussions on unlocking the iPhone. I've unlocked my iPhone (running 1.1.1) fairly painlessly based on Hackint0sh instructions and have used it without any problms with several carriers in Australia.
Old Nov 8, 07, 12:39 pm   #6

http://iphone.unlock.no . There's NO easier way to unlock an iPhone. Done 3 now, it's flawless.
Old Nov 8, 07, 12:40 pm   #7

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC, UA, MR-LifePlat, SPG Plat, HH
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanebear View Post
http://iphone.unlock.no . There's NO easier way to unlock an iPhone. Done 3 now, it's flawless.
Thanks for the link
Old Nov 8, 07, 1:00 pm   #8

Quote:
i did exactly what the website said to do and it worked fine for me.
Old Nov 8, 07, 1:41 pm   #9

Do note now that y'all have unlocked you absolutely MUST go in and turn off iTunes autoupdate feature. Also, DO NOT upgrade to iTunes 7.5. Keep 7.4. You may lag on firmware updates but 1.1.1 pretty much has everything for now and is stable. Until Apple does something major it'll be all you need. Heck, 1.0.2 wasn't bad at all either.

If anyone has problems; it is possible to erase and rewrite the phone's 'baseband' such that it's in as-new status. One then would load the 1.0.2 firmware and have a phone that's in 'pristine' status. Haven't tried a bricked phone but on a misbehaving/improperly upgraded iPhone this worked perfectly.
Old Nov 21, 07, 11:01 am   #10

Does anyone know if there still are 1.1.1 phones in B&M Apple Stores? I was counting on a friend to bring me a iphone but he shortchanged my so I am sol. The few ebay seller that ships overseas charge thru the teeth.

I don't have an associate stateside until the second week in December.
Old Nov 21, 07, 11:03 am   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredl View Post
Does anyone know if there still are 1.1.1 phones in B&M Apple Stores? I was counting on a friend to bring me a iphone but he shortchanged my so I am sol. The few ebay seller that ships overseas charge thru the teeth.

I don't have an associate stateside until the second week in December.
It's a crapshoot. Where will he be? As of earlier this month they were still 1.1.1 but I'd bet on them being out by now. The Apple web store is now sending out 1.1.2 units with the new unhackable bootloader. Smaller towns and cities still have 1.1.1 phones. I just picked one up last night as a gift for someone and am considering buying another one as a just in case.
Old Nov 21, 07, 3:04 pm   #12

He'll be in NYC and Washington D.C, so it looks like I am out of luck again. Unlockable iphones seems to become this hollday season's wii.
Old Nov 21, 07, 7:31 pm   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredl View Post
He'll be in NYC and Washington D.C, so it looks like I am out of luck again. Unlockable iphones seems to become this hollday season's wii.
Not necessarily. Have him go to a Cingular store in DC and buy an iPhone there. He doesn't have to fully unpackage it to check the firmware, he just needs to take off the shrinkwrap and turn it on. I wouldn't do it at the store tho. It's worth a shot... the restock fee is 10% so if you don't mind investing $80 you can get two shots at getting the right phone. I would give pretty good odds at getting a 1.1.1 unit from Cingular. I WOULD NOT try in NYC.
Old Nov 22, 07, 12:08 am   #14

Quote:
Not necessarily. Have him go to a Cingular store in DC and buy an iPhone there. He doesn't have to fully unpackage it to check the firmware, he just needs to take off the shrinkwrap and turn it on. I wouldn't do it at the store tho. It's worth a shot... the restock fee is 10% so if you don't mind investing $80 you can get two shots at getting the right phone. I would give pretty good odds at getting a 1.1.1 unit from Cingular. I WOULD NOT try in NYC.
Thanks, I will cross my fingers until then. If anyone else has a suggestion on how to find the right iPhone, let me know.

edit: How annoying isn't the so called "Myster Auctions" for iPhones on ebay. I can't fathom how Ebay allows this scam to go on.

Last edited by fredl; Nov 22, 07 at 8:31 am.

Closed Thread