Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How do I buy a GOOD unlocked Quad-Band Mobile in Hong Kong?

Old Nov 7, 2007, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Can anyone give advice on how to buy a GOOD UNLOCKED QUAD-Band Mobile in Hong Kong? I want to be able to use the phone anywhere in the world without linking to a carrier, just buying SIM cards as I go.
I am not interested in a Blackberry,Treo, a fairly basic PHONE with a few extras but nothing excessive.
What are the prices like in Hong Kong compared to N. America?
Can I buy unlocked quads at FORTRESS? Are there any other trustworthy shops in Hong Kong?
Please advise.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
are you in the states? Do you want just -a- phone or do you want one of the higher end models?

If you just want a phone, get one on ebay before you go. Ton of them, unlocked, out there.

HK prices won't be really much better than US prices.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:31 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by civicmon
HK prices won't be really much better than US prices.
And the OP also has to consider that the shipping costs will be the triple.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 11:40 pm

www.expansys.com.hk
Old Nov 9, 2007, 3:41 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by moocherx
No offense, but that's the wrong answer. Best way to buy a phone from HK is Ebay. I buy just about all my phones there now at present. X1387 and phonesourceusa are two reliable Ebay sellers. In the former case, they ship from Hong Kong and quite a few times now I've had the phone NEXT FREAKIN' DAY. In almost all cases, it's 2 day shipment. VERY reliable and never had an issue with them.

If you're *IN* HK, there's a cellphone mall in Mong Kok. Take the MTR to Mong Kok and take exit D2. I wish I could remember which direction, it's towards the Wang On building IIRC. Chockablock full of mobiles. Shop around though. Bargain and DO NOT buy from the first place you visit. I've purchased phones for $800HKD lower than the first price I encountered simply because I asked around... the gweilo tax is very apparent here.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
How did you get through that post without a single snicker, kanebear?
Old Nov 10, 2007, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by alanw
How did you get through that post without a single snicker, kanebear?
I actually had two. Snickers. Mmmmmmm.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 9:30 pm

If you have a ATT or T-Mobile phone in the US and have had your account in good standing for several months, you should be able to get your carrier to unlock your phone. Check out howardforums for details.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 11:55 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by jgoodm
If you have a ATT or T-Mobile phone in the US and have had your account in good standing for several months, you should be able to get your carrier to unlock your phone. Check out howardforums for details.
But make sure that the phone has the correct GSM bands to use at your destination before bothering to unlock it. The US and many countries in the Americas use 850 and/or 1900, while the rest of the GSM world uses 900 and/or 1800. Not all GSM phones sold in the US have all four GSM bands.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by kanebear
If you're *IN* HK, there's a cellphone mall in Mong Kok. Take the MTR to Mong Kok and take exit D2. I wish I could remember which direction, it's towards the Wang On building IIRC. Chockablock full of mobiles. Shop around though. Bargain and DO NOT buy from the first place you visit. I've purchased phones for $800HKD lower than the first price I encountered simply because I asked around... the gweilo tax is very apparent here.
Mong Kok is definitely the place to shop for all tech stuff. The cell phone street is just on the other side of Nathan from the subway.

However if you are already in HKG and have the time, the visa and a sense of adventure, you can take the train up to Shenzen, cross the border and get much better prices on most everything.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by kanebear
No offense, but that's the wrong answer.

No offence, but it's the right answer.
It just happens to be one of several right answers.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 7:06 pm

None taken, when's the last time you ordered from Expansys??? Prices are higher and delivery is spotty at best. If you've had good experiences with them you've been very lucky... I was a very loyal customer of both they and mobile planet. About the time they bought out mobileplanet their service went in the toilet.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure "Expansys" is a right answer for someone wanting to buy a phone IN Hong Kong. It's like saying Amazon is great for buying Books if you are visiting the US, or that Ebay is great for finding a cheap bike when in the UK.

If you are IN Hong Kong there are 1000's of better options than Expansys, who don't have a retail presence in Hong Kong.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the inputs so far - I really must be more specific when I post questions. OK - I want to buy an unlocked phone IN HONG KONG - I go there frequently on my way to SHENZHEN. I will buy cards for it, whereever I go and will not tie up to a provider anywhere, including Canada. I am Canadian so the US part is not so relevant. When I am in Asia, my rule is NOT to buy any electronics in SHENZHEN - most of the stuff in China is not just cheap in price - it is cheap in construction and a knock-off often just does not work. I bought two MP3 players there once and they were complete duds when I got home - I actually returned them to the dealer, amazingly enough. Also, I bought what looked like a genuine Sandisk CD Card for my camera in Shenzhen and it only held 5 pix! So, I never buy electronics in Shenzhen but I do buy in Hong Kong. I have bought several cameras in HK over the past few years with no problems.
In HK I shop at FORTRESS or some of the better stores on the Nathan Road - which stores in Mong Kok are trustworthy?
Can anyone identify a good name brand phone model such as Moto or Ericcson?
BTW, the cost for 400 minutes in HK is substantially cheaper than even 100 minutes here in Canada. It appears that HK has more competition - Canada only has a few providers at present.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have bought a few phones in HK. Typically, I find you can actually get very good prices in the airport itself. There are two retailers- the one with the "yellow sign" (sorry can't remember the name- they are related to a mobile carrier of HK) before security is quite good in my opinion. I personally prefer Nokia, and you may be happy with a model like the 6270 which is quite inexpensive and has very good battery life. It works on all the networks as far as I know. The price can be cheaper compared to the EU by about 25%. The only issue you may run into is that the phone only has English and Chinese languages on it- if you want other languages that may be a consideration for the sms dictionaries.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.