Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need advice on a flash memory camcorder

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2007, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Need advice on a flash memory camcorder

Hi. In the market for one of those.

Sony has one that runs about $200 but uses memory sticks.

There's also some Samsungs as well as some no-named brands.

Looking to spend really not much more than $300. Want it pocket-sized so I can carry it in my pocket.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
wow, no one?
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:03 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
IMO I think people are moving to or have moved to their digital cameras as their camcorders. Many digital cameras can take video until the card is filled up (no longer limited to 3 min like they all seemed to be several years ago). Just a personal opinion.
Not to seem as if I am trying to talk you out of your purchase but when you take a video with a camcorder how long do you usually film at a time?
For me personally it is no longer then 5 minutes at a time. Which makes me think that a device that is made only to video is overkill, for my purposes.

All that being said... I haven't looked at camcorders in the last 5 years but I would not buy Sony*. I make it a point to not support a brand that uses a proprietary memory format, meaning that you can only use Memory Sticks for Sony devices. And if you no longer use a Sony device your Memory stick is now just a stick.
* I am ok buying Sony as long as there is no Memory card involved.

Sorry, I know that isn't much help on your original question of camcorder suggestions but I didn't want you to not get any sort of reply.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I have a Canon PowerShot TX1 that I'm happy with, but I'm primarily a still photographer.

An actual videographer might not be happy with the amount of recording time available on a single card.

Edit to say that the motion JPEG was a major selling point for me.

Last edited by birdstrike; Nov 7, 2007 at 9:58 pm
Old Nov 7, 2007, 9:56 pm

Programs: Dirt
Sanyo is one of the largest player in this niche market. Their current product line up features a 1080p HD camcorder, as well as various 720p HD and 480p SD camcorders. They are all palm-sized and use SD or SDHC cards for storage.

http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/index.html

Sanyo is one of the first digital camera makers to use MPEG4 codec to record more video on a memory card versus Motion JPEG. On my Xacti C4, Sanyo's first generation model, a 1 GB SD card can hold about 40 minutes of video at the highest quality setting.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 1:44 pm

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
$150 gets you a 60-minute recorder from Pure Digital at Costco.

I've got the 30 minute one, and for casual shooting (e-mailing video clips, Youtube, etc) it's not a bad little device. Very pocketable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.