Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

I want a light/small device that can sync with PALM, email & surf that isn't computer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I want a light/small device that can sync with PALM, email & surf that isn't computer

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2007, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)

I'm looking to buy my father a device that can sync with PALM, email & surf web for my fathers birthday. He is retired and travels extensively for pleasure and these are all the features he only uses. He wanted the PALM Foleo, which does exactly what I described, however PALM nixed the Foleo shortly before it was supposed to be available. If a non-computer doesn't exist that does this, what is a small lightweight computer that does?

Thank you for your help
Old Oct 21, 2007, 6:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by flyer121
I'm looking to buy my father a device that can sync with PALM, email & surf web for my fathers birthday. He is retired and travels extensively for pleasure and these are all the features he only uses. He wanted the PALM Foleo, which does exactly what I described, however PALM nixed the Foleo shortly before it was supposed to be available. If a non-computer doesn't exist that does this, what is a small lightweight computer that does?

Thank you for your help
Im not sure what you mean by "sync with Palm". Could you explain a bit more. Does it have to be a phone also?
Old Oct 21, 2007, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If by "non computer" you mean a machine that doesn't run on XP or Vista then the Foleo was indeed your only real option. The Asus EEE pc is coming to stores soon, it'll be a very compact $299 machine but it's a "real" PC.

The 3Com Audrey was meant to do all these things, but was not compact, and only made it to stores for a few months before being canned...
Old Oct 21, 2007, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Does it have to be a phone also?
It does NOT have to be a phone.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by ScottC
If by "non computer" you mean a machine that doesn't run on XP or Vista then the Foleo was indeed your only real option. The Asus EEE pc is coming to stores soon, it'll be a very compact $299 machine but it's a "real" PC.

The 3Com Audrey was meant to do all these things, but was not compact, and only made it to stores for a few months before being canned...
I never heard of asus before, I am very tempted to get one.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
If a qwerty keyboard isn't a necesity, a Nokia internet tablet might work well. They can connect over WiFi or tether to a phone via BlueTooth. Woot has even had the original for around $100 a few different times. Wouldn't be great for long e-mails (stylus based, no keyboard other than on-screen) but for short messages and web-browsing it would be great.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
Asus EEE pc is coming to stores soon, it'll be a very compact $299 machine but it's a "real" PC.
This looks very interesting. Will it be available in the U.S.? if so where?
Old Oct 21, 2007, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
I don't know what your definition of "computer" is -HTC Shift
Old Oct 21, 2007, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoingAway
I never heard of asus before, I am very tempted to get one.
Asus is one of the largest PC manufacturers in the world. They make machines for Apple, IBM, HP, Sony and many others.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer121
This looks very interesting. Will it be available in the U.S.? if so where?
"Sometime" in November is all that has been released. Surprisingly Bestbuy and Newegg are reported to be the only US vendors for it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.