Wiki Posts
Search

American cell phones -- limited

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2007, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Unhappy American cell phones -- limited

I really wish my cell worked overseas. Sure I could rent a cell phone from Verizon which is good in Europe but that's a real pain to do. When friends of ours visit from Dusseldorf, for example, their cell phones certainly work in New York. Why can't we have the same technology?
Old Oct 21, 2007, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Analise
I really wish my cell worked overseas. Sure I could rent a cell phone from Verizon which is good in Europe but that's a real pain to do. When friends of ours visit from Dusseldorf, for example, their cell phones certainly work in New York. Why can't we have the same technology?
You can. Go search Travel Technology for unlocked GSM cell phones. Get one, then you can buy a SIM card at your destination.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 7:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
In the US, the GSM carriers (which is used in much of the rest of the world) are T-Mobile and Cingular. You need to make sure you have a tri- or quad- band phone.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
We do have the same technology. You just didn't do enough research when you chose Verizon.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Been using my Cingular phone & U.S. number in Europe for at least five years now...
Old Oct 21, 2007, 7:38 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
You can buy an unlocked GSM phone direct from either Motorola or Nokia without a plan, and then buy a prepaid SIM card that you refill with minutes. Go to these web pages and buy a quad band phone: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 mhz.

http://www.store.motorola.com/mot/en...&catKey=601130

http://www.nokiausa.com/A4409002
Old Oct 21, 2007, 7:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
If you are into Palm Treo's, you can also get unlocked GSM's either directly from Palm or aftermarket sellers like Buy.com, both of which offer miles from links like www.mponlinemall.com.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who knows why carriers like Verizon, U.S. Cellular and Sprint exist anyway?
Old Oct 21, 2007, 8:25 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
We do have the same technology. You just didn't do enough research when you chose Verizon.
Verizon have multiband phones that work pretty much everywhere other than Japan. I used to have one, but can't remember the make/model, as my company moved to Cingular last year.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chitownflyer
You can buy an unlocked GSM phone direct from either Motorola or Nokia without a plan, and then buy a prepaid SIM card that you refill with minutes. Go to these web pages and buy a quad band phone: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 mhz.

http://www.store.motorola.com/mot/en...&catKey=601130

http://www.nokiausa.com/A4409002
I travel maybe once or twice per year to Europe for pleasure. I cannot absorb such a high cost for a phone especially since I'm not working right now.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
get a cheap unlocked motorola phone for $25-50 bucks on ebay. look up "unlocked gsm" and you'll get probably around 3000 hits.

anyone who buys an unlocked phone through a company directly needs to have their head checked.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 8:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by Analise
I travel maybe once or twice per year to Europe for pleasure. I cannot absorb such a high cost for a phone especially since I'm not working right now.
Multiband phones are available from the main carriers without paying a lot of money. In many cases they are not unlocked (so you can't use a local SIM), so you'll have to pay quite a high price for the calls while you are overseas, but they have all the same deals (ie minimal cost with 2 year contract) as any other phone.

If while overseas you only use the cellphone for initial contact, and call back on a landline, then the high cost of the calls shouldn't be a problem.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Everything you need to know to get the cheapest cellular service/equipment while travelling in Europe:
http://www.prepaidgsm.net/
Old Oct 21, 2007, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
My TMobile phone has worked everywhere I've been except Tokyo. I only use it overseas when I really need it, so the costs ($1-1.50/minute) haven't added up to much.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
My TMobile phone has worked everywhere I've been except Tokyo. I only use it overseas when I really need it, so the costs ($1-1.50/minute) haven't added up to much.
I'd rather pay 40 cents out/ free in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.