Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Possible to buy splitter for wired internet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible to buy splitter for wired internet?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2007, 8:00 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I still don't see the point of buying a travel router when you can do what you need for free using Windows ICS (which automatically handles NAT) and an ad-hoc wifi connection. The only possible disadvantage I can see is you couldn't BOTH be wireless... seems like a pretty small sacrifice.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 9:14 am

For me, I bought the travel router for using one computer. The quality of desk chairs is very variable. I like being able to have flexibility of where I work in the room. I think my travel router was like 10 dollars on sale. I would definitely recommend this over using ICS which in my experience can be buggy at times.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boberonicus
Purchase this router. It's small, the power plug retracts into the body, you can plug it into a wired port and create a nice wireless LAN so that you and your companion can be anywhere in the room, typing away. Plug the "internet" port into the wall, plug the PC into the "ethernet" side. Purchase / sign into the connection, and disconnect the PC. Everybody gets wireless.
I have one (after tossing the cheaper dlinks and belkins) and its worked fine in at least 20+ hotels. Right now 6 of us are sharing the same wi-fi signal in Prague as it works flawlessly on either 240v or 120v. We gotta share as the hotel wi-fi is an outrageous 36 euros/day.

MisterNice
Old Oct 23, 2007, 11:16 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I still don't see the point of buying a travel router when you can do what you need for free using Windows ICS (which automatically handles NAT) and an ad-hoc wifi connection. The only possible disadvantage I can see is you couldn't BOTH be wireless... seems like a pretty small sacrifice.
Lots of points: The router maintains the Internet connection, preventing you from having to log into the hotel network each time; your laptop(s) stay safely in the safe when not in use. You don't have the dependency of having to set up one laptop to use the Internet with the other; each can use it independently. Wireless, not sharing, is the primary reason that I use the router when travelling. Also, despite numerous attempts, I have never successfully gotten Windows ICS to work (although large numbers of people have, so it's surely just something I'm doing wrong).

YMMV, but that little travel rounter is a standard travel accessory for me now.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 11:25 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
If you can find a travel router for $10 like one poster mentioned then it definitely seems worth it. If in the $50+ range I wouldn't buy it just for the rare occasion (to me) that I would be sharing a single paid hotel connection with another user. I also wouldn't pay the $50+ to use wireless in rooms with wired connections. I find it MUCH more comfortable to work/surf from a desk than a bed or couch, regardless of how comfortable the desk chair is. This probably stems from the fact that I loathe most laptop pointing deviced and need a sturdy flat surface to mouse on.

That said... if someone can link to the $10 travel router they found I might pick one up to keep in my bag just in case I'm in a sittuation in which it might come handy.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Almost every week BB, CC, CompUSA etc has low end belkin, dlink etc wireless for $20 or less after rebates (I know I have bought mucho). Check the websites or the Sunday newspapers.

MisterNice
Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:05 pm

I've never once seen a TRAVEL router in the weekly BB/CC/CompUSA adds. I see plenty of cheap routers advertised, but never travel routers.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I've never once seen a TRAVEL router in the weekly BB/CC/CompUSA adds. I see plenty of cheap routers advertised, but never travel routers.
I haven't paid attention lately, but I bought mine at Compusa around Christmas time. It was 10 after rebate.

It was this one:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?model=DWL-G730AP

It does not do multiple voltages like one of the others described here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.