Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

"Walking around" bag for DSLR and a flash (and maybe a second lens)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2007, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Looking for a small bag to carry the items listed in the title.
Camera is the Nikon D70s, so not particularly small though not as large as a pro DSLR. Most of the time the kit 18-70 will be on it. Flash is the full sized SB600. Second lens, if carried, would be a small prime.

I bought a Crumpler 3 Million Dollar Home unseen, but it was too small for the camera let alone the other stuff. I dig the Crumpler design.

Suggestions?
Old Oct 10, 2007, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Take a look at the LowePro Micro Trekker 200 backpack.

It might be a -little- large for what you want to carry. It's a sweet bag and I only recently outgrew mine.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks but no backpack for me. I do have a big ol' Crumpler bag for *all* my gear when I travel, but looking for in effect a day bag.

Should have specified that I am looking for a "sling it over my shoulder" kind of bag. Like a man photo purse.

Last edited by Mikey likes it; Oct 10, 2007 at 10:13 pm
Old Oct 11, 2007, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, Star Gold, KLM Gold
I have a Nova 2 AW which holds my D400, 17-85 IS lens, 50mm lens and a full size flash.

Very pleased with it.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 3:57 am

There are a few threads that discuss various camera bags in the Travel Photography forum - might be worthwhile to do a search there.

I personally own six camera bags (yeah, I'm a freak) and of them all, I use the LowePro slingshot AW200 (http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Slin...ot_200_AW.aspx) the most. I also have the smaller AW100. IME, this is the best dang bag I've ever used - You carry it on your back "like" a backpack, but come time to shoot, you sling the bag around to access the camera and gear. The smaller AW100 is fine if you are only carrying the camera, attached lens, and another spare. I just like having the extra room of the AW200 to carry other things like filters and personal items. I think Lowepro really thought this bag through. The thing even comes with a built-in rain cover. The only other things I would add to make it perfect is to have some means of attaching a small tripod to it and perhaps a pocket for a water bottle.

Tamrac makes a similar item - the Velocity. I tried this on in a store and it's just not as good as the Slingshot.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 6:55 am
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
You can look on Amazon for the "Nikon Digital SLR Accessory Kit"

It has a very nice sized bag and it comes with an extra battery that will fit a D70/s
Old Oct 11, 2007, 6:58 am

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Originally Posted by kuroneko
There are a few threads that discuss various camera bags in the Travel Photography forum - might be worthwhile to do a search there.

I personally own six camera bags (yeah, I'm a freak) and of them all, I use the LowePro slingshot AW200 (http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Slin...ot_200_AW.aspx) the most. I also have the smaller AW100. IME, this is the best dang bag I've ever used - You carry it on your back "like" a backpack, but come time to shoot, you sling the bag around to access the camera and gear. The smaller AW100 is fine if you are only carrying the camera, attached lens, and another spare. I just like having the extra room of the AW200 to carry other things like filters and personal items. I think Lowepro really thought this bag through. The thing even comes with a built-in rain cover. The only other things I would add to make it perfect is to have some means of attaching a small tripod to it and perhaps a pocket for a water bottle.

Tamrac makes a similar item - the Velocity. I tried this on in a store and it's just not as good as the Slingshot.
^ Slingshot 200.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
nova AV bags

I REALLY like the NOVA av bags, I use two of them. The nova 2 above and a NOVA 4 for when I travel.

They are pretty compact, and protective. I like the waterproof condom that they come with built in.

Cheap too, between 35-55$ depending on bag and location of purchase
Old Oct 11, 2007, 2:51 pm

I am glad I am not the only one who uses two bags on trips!
Old Oct 11, 2007, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Oxb
You can look on Amazon for the "Nikon Digital SLR Accessory Kit"

It has a very nice sized bag and it comes with an extra battery that will fit a D70/s
My only issue with Nikon bags is the nake recognition which makes it a hot theft target.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.