Wiki Posts
Search

Light and strong luggage; Ricardo?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2007, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Light and strong luggage; Ricardo?

My 26" suitcase will soon need to be replaced. This would be checked in with up to 50 lb total weight. Ever since baggage allowance came down to 50 lb, I hate to use a good % of it as the weight of the suitcase itself. I was wondering what is your opinion about the best combination of lightweight and strong?

I would be looking for a softsided bag with frame and wheels. (For those times when a duffel will do, I do own and recommend Red Oxx Safari Beanos.)

The name Ricardo came up in another thread. I was wondering if someone here has used Ricardo as well as one or more of the brands I am familiar with like Boyt, B&R, Travelpro. If so how do you think Ricardo compares in quality?
Old Oct 8, 2007, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I have purchased sets of Ricardo luggage at Costco over the years. Usually in the range of $100-$150 for a set of 4 or 5. The sets I purchased were not of any lightweight configuration. I'd rate them as normal semi-cheapish luggage. They would generally last a 20-30 plane trips. I prefer Costco's Kirkland brand, since they are much sturdier, and have lighter weight models out. Plus they have a liberal return policy. Carryon bag costs about $100, the larger model is $125, I think.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 8:40 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
I went through the same decision a while ago. Even the Costco 26" bag was around 12 pounds empty, so you are using 25% of your allowance on the luggage itself. I ended up with a non-wheeled duffle bag from Samsonite. It is a bit a pain, but it has backpack style shoulder straps that make it pretty easy to carry. It only weighs about a pound empty.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I go to Target and find the lightest bag I can. I wander around and find the bathroom scales, hope there is one not boxed up, and hop on the scale with the bag and then without. I bought a 26 inch for about $50 that weighs 9 pounds. I bought a three bag set at Bed Bath and Beyond for about $50 and the 24 inch bag weighs 6 pounds. It's expandable, too. At one time, I bought really expensive luggage that came with a lifetime guarantee. On the first trip, the cording ripped out. I took it back to the store and they wanted to send it away to have it fixed. I figured if the cording ripped out the first time it went out, it would continue to need repairs and I didn't want to have to keep taking it back. I demanded my money back and after some argument got it. Besides, the airlines just ruin the luggage anyway. So, I just don't buy expensive stuff any more. If I'm traveling where I won't have to lug my luggage and have concerns about weight, I'll take a duffle, but hauling around 50 pounds worth of clothes and gear is more than I can handle.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I got stuck in PHL with lost luggage on NW (Never showed up...ever)

Bought clothes at Kohls and bought a Ricardo bag. Lasted 4 trips?
Old Oct 12, 2007, 10:46 am

You guys are definitely harder on luggage than I am

My old (10+ year) Ricardo luggage is no longer made. My new bags are from the Solutions line. The 25" bag weighs 11 lbs. empty according to the built in-scale.

http://www.ricardobeverlyhills.com <--- click on Collections then Solutions.

I got a good deal at http://www.baggageforless.com.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP; WN CP; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; Marriott Plat; PC Plat
I have had good success with this company and they provided user reviews

http://www.luggagepros.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.