Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Getting to know GDS

Getting to know GDS

Old Oct 4, 2007, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Getting to know GDS

Does the big GDS's of the world currently have communication channel amongst themselves ?
Can they communicate and trasfer data amongst themselves. This will be required for the Hotels.

On the contrary for Airlines Companies its understandable that they will be loyal to one GDS. Hoever Hotel would like to list there property on all GDS and would want all the GDS to be able to manage there room reservations. For that it will be necceary to ensure that the room count(occupied) is shared

is there any document which explains how the GDS interact with each other and what are their limitations

Cheers
- Puneet
Old Oct 4, 2007, 11:52 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, puneetp
I am moving this over to the FT TravelTechnology Forum.
Please follow there.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 6, 2007, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I might be misunderstanding your questons, but I'll give it a try:

In the case of hotel reservations, reservations exist within the hotel's own, proprietary systems. An individual traveller's Personal Name Record (PNR), whic resides on the GDS vendor's system, will have references to the hotel confirmation number, but the reservation itself stays on the hotel provider's system.

The hotel companies provides "programming interfaces" that allow the individual GDS vendors to tap into the hotel company systems. The hotel companies have the ability to provide so-called "last room availability" to some GDSs and not to others - it depends on their individual agreements.

Lastly, there is a different kind of interfacing, known as "accounting interfce" where the PNR information from one GDS is introduced into the 'back-offce" system provided by a second GDS vendor, but I don't think that this what you have in mind.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.